Not signing logs

And where exactly does your reasoning fit in with the publishing requirement that all physical caches require a log book :D

Its there for a reason, and if you don't append to it, you have not found the cache :D

We could all claim many more if we didn't walk away from those where muggles abound.

Your attitude is a disgrace. B)

Oh my word!.... geocaching is sooooo scary!!! :laughing:

I have 1 series that is a tree climbing series and 1 cache that is down underground in an old WW2 bunker, and I have a number of logs that openly admit that they were with someone else and the other cacher retrieved it and passed it up/down to them to sign and they then claim the find.In my books they have not completed the challenge as I set it and I personally would not claim the find but might leave a note to say I couldn't or bottled it but that is the way I play the game,everyone is different and if they log it I def am not going to delete their log (just perhaps extract the urine a little at the next meet...)but then some do this game as individuals and some as teams, where I am ready to do the physical stuff don't ask me to do puzzles because I can't but if I did (but I don't !!) have a geopartner they could assist me in finding the cache so they are helping in someway to me getting the cache.

I have 1 series that is a tree climbing series and 1 cache that is down underground in an old WW2 bunker, and I have a number of logs that openly admit that they were with someone else and the other cacher retrieved it and passed it up/down to them to sign and they then claim the find.In my books they have not completed the challenge as I set it

99% of the time I cache alone.

I (almost) always read the cache page first when planning a days caching so: If I come across 'high' tree climbing caches (I do climb the small ones)

or verticaly challenged caches (I'm 5' 1 1/2" tall), I then add them to my 'Blue's caches' note book.

'Blue' is my my son, who lives back in the Black Country where I used to live.

On the few weekends he comes to stay here in Wales, we go do those caches then.

He climbs up, chucks the cache down to me to sign and I throw it back up to him.

In my book I have completed the challenge!

I do have a couple of tree caches myself, both of which I placed there myself.

But I do have a couple of strange 'found it' logs though.

One I loved was: I could see the cache but there was no way I was going up there!

I replied by saying that they didn't really get the cache (in their hands) but if they felt it was a find ... then it's up to them.

He replied saying: But i'm a 50 year old man.

I replied saying that I'm a 52 year old 5' 1" Woman who has had a tripple heart by-pass.... and I put it up there!

He decided off his own back to delete the find, but I would never have deleted it.

What is the difference you may think from: having the cache thrown down to me or saying I could see it?

Well, I planned my tree climbing cache to coincide with my muggle Son coming to visit me.

We also always go prepared for me to try to climb first and attempt the cache myself.

But if I struggle? .... Blue would then take over.

I also don't do puzzle caches and those question marks are dotted all over my map!

They drive me mad but .... I can't do puzzles .... but if anyone wants to help me solve them all? :laughing:

I also don't do puzzle caches and those question marks are dotted all over my map!

They drive me mad but .... I can't do puzzles .... but if anyone wants to help me solve them all? :laughing:

So I take pity on FantasyRaider (whom, I might add, I'd always thought was of a different gender!), look up where she's set caches, see she lives around the Colwyn Bay area, look up Colwyn Bay, UK (don't forget the UK) on the Geocaching map and filter out all but the ? caches.

The first one I click onto is owned by... FantasyRaider!

The second one I click onto is owned by... FantasyRaider!

The third one I click onto is owned by... you guessed it.

Urine suitably extracted, I bow out... for the time being.

:blink:

I have 1 series that is a tree climbing series and 1 cache that is down underground in an old WW2 bunker, and I have a number of logs that openly admit that they were with someone else and the other cacher retrieved it and passed it up/down to them to sign and they then claim the find.In my books they have not completed the challenge as I set it and I personally would not claim the find but might leave a note to say I couldn't or bottled it but that is the way I play the game,everyone is different and if they log it I def am not going to delete their log (just perhaps extract the urine a little at the next meet...)but then some do this game as individuals and some as teams, where I am ready to do the physical stuff don't ask me to do puzzles because I can't but if I did (but I don't !!) have a geopartner they could assist me in finding the cache so they are helping in someway to me getting the cache.

I think it's acceptable for one member of a group to retrieve the cache and pass it to the others to sign, as long as they all are physically present at the cache site. If it's a tree climbing cache, should each person in the group have to climb the tree, open the cache, sign the log, replace the cache, climb down, let the next person climb the tree, open the cache, etc., etc.? I think not.

If I pull up to a lamp post cache at WalMart, does each member of the group have to individually lift the skirt, retrieve the container, sign the log, etc.? Again, I think not.

Some caches require a special tool or technique to reach...a ladder, or a boat, or the ability to climb, dive, whatever. I am not penalized for using these techniques (as it was obviously what the CO had in mind) nor am I penalized if I devise another technique to retrieve and sign the log (as I have met the requirement for logging a find, i.e., signed the physical log). So my "tool" of choice happened to be a taller/more agile cacher :)

I think it's acceptable for one member of a group to retrieve the cache and pass it to the others to sign, as long as they all are physically present at the cache site. If it's a tree climbing cache, should each person in the group have to climb the tree, open the cache, sign the log, replace the cache, climb down, let the next person climb the tree, open the cache, etc., etc.? I think not.

If I pull up to a lamp post cache at WalMart, does each member of the group have to individually lift the skirt, retrieve the container, sign the log, etc.? Again, I think not.

It's each to their own. I wouldn't even dream of loging a find if I couldn't personally reach the cache hiding place. I use common sense in this - if it's a T1 at the base of a tree I don't actually have to reach down to it myself because it is obvious I could easily do so - but if there is any doubt in my mind, then I have to either get it or put it back myself.

But I've seen loads of people log 5T caches as a result of standing somewhere safe and watching someone else do all the work. Can't see any point at all in that myself, I think it's just plain daft, but it's their business, not mine.

By the same principle I wouldn't use anyone else's solution to a puzzle - I may accept a small nudge, but I have to do the bulk of the solving by myself.

Basically, in most respects MY logs are a record of MY achievements. Those who log other people's achievements as their own don't know what are their own achievements actually are, which I guess isn't a concern for them, else they wouldn't do it.

BTW, the reason I said "most respects" is because if I'm caching with someone else and they find it before me, I still count that as a find. That's just a practicality - when one person has found it, you can't "unfind" it. Requiring each person to conceal the fact that they found it until the other person also finds it is unworkable.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I think so. Why? Because it's pretty obvious to me that that was the original intention of the cache owner. If he/she had wanted it to be an easy cache then he would have put it in that hole at the bottom of the tree, not 20ft (or 120ft) up it! :D ... and would have given it 1*T instead of 4* or 5*

A very different situation: Are all the individuals in the group easily able to lift that skirt and remove the cache? Would they all have guessed where the cache was hidden? If so, then of course they can all log it without going through the skirt-lifting procedures.

Some caches require a special tool or technique to reach...a ladder, or a boat, or the ability to climb, dive, whatever. I am not penalized for using these techniques (as it was obviously what the CO had in mind) nor am I penalized if I devise another technique to retrieve and sign the log (as I have met the requirement for logging a find, i.e., signed the physical log). So my "tool" of choice happened to be a taller/more agile cacher :)

Everyone plays the game their own way. As long as you and the cache owner are happy that you found the cache, then all's well. Different players play be different personal rules. :)

MrsB

I think so. Why? Because it's pretty obvious to me that that was the original intention of the cache owner. If he/she had wanted it to be an easy cache then he would have put it in that hole at the bottom of the tree, not 20ft (or 120ft) up it! :D ... and would have given it 1*T instead of 4* or 5*

A very different situation: Are all the individuals in the group easily able to lift that skirt and remove the cache? Would they all have guessed where the cache was hidden? If so, then of course they can all log it without going through the skirt-lifting procedures.

Everyone plays the game their own way. As long as you and the cache owner are happy that you found the cache, then all's well. Different players play be different personal rules. :)

MrsB

In that cache, did they both climb up the ladder :S. sounds extremely over dangerous than it should have been. Especially the fact it was windy lol.

So I take pity on FantasyRaider (whom, I might add, I'd always thought was of a different gender!), look up where she's set caches, see she lives around the Colwyn Bay area, look up Colwyn Bay, UK (don't forget the UK) on the Geocaching map and filter out all but the ? caches.

Oh that is sooooo unfair!

4 of those 'puzzle' caches are adopted.

One is a night cache

And one is sooooo easy and has to be solved while there! (by counting your steps)

please go back and take pity on me again please! :rolleyes:

One is a night cache

And one is sooooo easy and has to be solved while there! (by counting your steps)

I did without the beseechment and it's all a fraud! Every ? I looked at had been logged as found by FantasyRider, so unless it's an alien zipping in to your account and falsely logging, you've done 'em all anyway!

Swizzzzzzz!!!!

:yikes:

Any one who has been to a mega event will tell you that you have to queue up to sign the logs in the caches local to the event. At this year's Mega Wales I joined a queue of about 30 people who passed the log down to sign ! The problem is that the last one to sign it doesn't know quite where to put it back !!! I must admit I wondered at the time what the local muggles must have thought with lines of people looking at strange looking electrical devices and pointing ! Strange hobby this caching business !

One is a night cache

I did without the beseechment and it's all a fraud! Every ? I looked at had been logged as found by FantasyRider, so unless it's an alien zipping in to your account and falsely logging, you've done 'em all anyway!

Swizzzzzzz!!!!

You have been obviously looking in the wrong area OR looking at puzzle caches that are not REALLY puzzles (ie caches that are not at the listed co-ords but no puzzle to solve)

Here are just a few near me I haven't done:

SPOILER............GC1DCN9

Petey the Snake......GC1EER9

(The first two I would love to solve)

Smiley

GC1T6HP

Take a walk (in the woods) on the wildside.

GC1Q42W

Ready Aim Fire

GC1R4MA

Ammo Dump

GC1R4MY

Blind Date (under lock and key)

GC1J8JG

Simon -a Soldier's Secret Bunker

GC1EYR6

SPOILER

GC1DCN9

"Town full of wheat" Here's PlumBob.

GC2Q9AG

"Fears" - over come them!! Go caching!!

GC15QVM

GC13KGX

:anicute: .. :anicute:

Well i like to reply to this. I for one who has placed many caches for people to find which i get more enjoyment out of people finding them. As there is no prize no cash only you own records in what you find. If when i find a nano as long as its been in my hand its a find and this saves a visit by the CO to replace the log. I know the rules but then i pay the fees and its my stats on the page .

One is a night cache

Swizzzzzzz!!!!

You have been obviously looking in the wrong area OR looking at puzzle caches that are not REALLY puzzles (ie caches that are not at the listed co-ords but no puzzle to solve)

Here are just a few near me I haven't done:

SPOILER............GC1DCN9

Petey the Snake......GC1EER9

(The first two I would love to solve)

Smiley

GC1T6HP

Take a walk (in the woods) on the wildside.

GC1Q42W

Ready Aim Fire

GC1R4MA

Ammo Dump

GC1R4MY

Blind Date (under lock and key)

GC1J8JG

Simon -a Soldier's Secret Bunker

GC1EYR6

SPOILER

GC1DCN9

"Town full of wheat" Here's PlumBob.

GC2Q9AG

"Fears" - over come them!! Go caching!!

GC15QVM

GC13KGX

:anicute: .. :anicute:

Is this one getting to you? Just a tincy wincy bit?!

:laughing:

I shall have a little peep. Nae promises, mind. If I solve any, I might have to head back to North Wales to find them myself (and Jersey is already on the list, having solved some for the Fawnsies!)...

:ph34r:

Is this one getting to you? Just a tincy wincy bit?!

:laughing:

YES! ... dam you! :laughing: :laughing:

I shall have a little peep. Nae promises, mind. If I solve any, I might have to head back to North Wales to find them myself (and Jersey is already on the list, having solved some for the Fawnsies!)...

:ph34r:

If you do manage to solve any (And I know you will) I shall have to arrange a puzzle solving 'Event' for when you visit North Wales.

(but Don't tell Deci because you (and I) know it is against the rules. :rolleyes:

If you do manage to solve any (And I know you will) I shall have to arrange a puzzle solving 'Event' for when you visit North Wales.

(but Don't tell Deci because you (and I) know it is against the rules. :rolleyes:

Oooh - that sounds fun. But no, I didn't realise it was against the rules. Why?

Don't worry, Deci - don't have N Wales travel plans at present, alas.

FR - got bamboozled by the other one about snakes. Recovering just now...!

Deci (or any reviewer) will be able to explain it better but, something to do with not hosting an Event with the intention of going for caches? <_<

Deci (or any reviewer) will be able to explain it better but, something to do with not hosting an Event with the intention of going for caches? <_<

That's got to be pretty much a load of cobblers.... Groundspeak can't enforce or police what people talk about at event caches. I've been to many events where there have been groups of people sitting around a table discussing puzzle caches.... amongst other things. As for 'Event Caches' not being set for the express purpose of going out geocaching.... Tell that to the Scottish contingent and they'll probably laugh at you. There have been quite a few instances where there have been in excess of 100 new caches set specifically for an event. If that isn't an 'Event to go Geocaching', I don't know what is!

That's got to be pretty much a load of cobblers.... Groundspeak can't enforce or police what people talk about at event caches. I've been to many events where there have been groups of people sitting around a table discussing puzzle caches.... amongst other things. As for 'Event Caches' not being set for the express purpose of going out geocaching.... Tell that to the Scottish contingent and they'll probably laugh at you. There have been quite a few instances where there have been in excess of 100 new caches set specifically for an event. If that isn't an 'Event to go Geocaching', I don't know what is!

I think the whole point of it is that an event is supposed to me a meeting together of geocachers to socialise* at a location. That's supposed to be the prime purpose. There has to be a location where you can all go and meet up to claim that you've "Attended". You're not supposed to have an event that requires cachers to go out and do a particular cache, or caches, on a group (or individual) hunt. Yes, we all know that many event organisers set new caches to go live for their event... but nobody has to go and do them.

Personally, we go to events for the socialising thing and quite often we don't do any any of the new caches that have been set nearby.

MrsB

Edited to add ... and if that socialising involves chatting about puzzle caches and trying to solve them that's fine... I guess... Don't know what the COs of puzzle caches would think about it. :unsure:

Edited by The Blorenges

I think the whole point of it is that an event is supposed to me a meeting together of geocachers to socialise* at a location. That's supposed to be the prime purpose. There has to be a location where you can all go and meet up to claim that you've "Attended". You're not supposed to have an event that requires cachers to go out and do a particular cache, or caches, on a group (or individual) hunt. Yes, we all know that many event organisers set new caches to go live for their event... but nobody has to go and do them.

Personally, we go to events for the socialising thing and quite often we don't do any any of the new caches that have been set nearby.

MrsB

Edited to add ... and if that socialising involves chatting about puzzle caches and trying to solve them that's fine... I guess... Don't know what the COs of puzzle caches would think about it. :unsure:

I would consider it an honour that a group of regular Geocachers were discussing my Puzzle cache... some, it would appear, would consider it a breach of their civil rights.

Now then, that brings up a question that I probably ought to start on a new thread. What is the collective phrase for a Group of Geocachers at an event?.... see new thread `

That's got to be pretty much a load of cobblers.... Groundspeak can't enforce or police what people talk about at event caches. I've been to many events where there have been groups of people sitting around a table discussing puzzle caches.... amongst other things.

I didn't mean 'talking' about them, I meant organising an event just for people to get together and go out to find caches together.

(Although we all do .... we are not supposed to advertise the fact)

I'm no good at explaining stuff, but I know what I mean. :ph34r:

I didn't mean 'talking' about them, I meant organising an event just for people to get together and go out to find caches together.

(Although we all do .... we are not supposed to advertise the fact)

I've often gone out caching with groups of other cachers, but we've never organised an event to do it! We just arrange it, through forums or email, and go.

The only reason I can see for making anything an "event" is so that it can be listed on GC, so that anyone who is interested can find out about it and come along. But those people will probably be expecting a proper event, not a caching expedition.

Unless the group is desperate for a free smiley apiece, I suppose.

I have been to a couple of events (out of about 20) where one or two new caches have been set. That's not quite the same as organising an event JUST to go and find caches together. One of those occasions I joined a group that went looking for them, but by the time we got back the event was mostly over, so it wasn't really a very good idea.

Rgds, Andy

I have been to a couple of events (out of about 20) where one or two new caches have been set. That's not quite the same as organising an event JUST to go and find caches together. One of those occasions I joined a group that went looking for them, but by the time we got back the event was mostly over, so it wasn't really a very good idea.

Rgds, Andy

Most meets I go to here in North wales have loads of caches coming out on the same day but at about 9am.

So on these days I usually make a whole day of it.

Although I always cache alone, on these days I always meet up with other cachers (although never arranged) ... and I love it!

Then when we get to the meet its all about talking and eating.

Sometimes there is a night cache to be had also and this is great for me as it stops me craving a beer. (I drive)

But there are always 50% of cachers that stay in the pub and have a good old chin wag.

This is what I love about the meet/events ... it caters for every kind of cacher.

(But we have gone way off topic now ... sorry) :unsure: