need help placing

You need to get in touch with the actual Frying Pan Tower folks, rather than getting in touch with the forum, but actually... you're in luck. They're one of our GIS clients. We can get in touch with Captain Dave directly, and he might at least be able to steer you in the right direction. I'll send you a PM once I hear something.

Edit:

Here is their website address, you might be able to get some contact info from there. I sent Dave a message. (We didn't make their website, it's not the greatest looking thing... but my husband is the programmer for the blue supermap).

http://fryingpantower.com/

Edited by nymphnsatyr

well dont know if we are talking about the same tower,,but I will look into it,,thanks

Well, regardless, you would need to get in touch with the actual owners/managers of the tower rather than asking folks on the forum. It doesn't matter what our opinion is in regards to placing something on this particular property.

Best of luck!

A few days late, but may be helpful for people who stumble upon this page. I was considering placing a cache in the future (after I have more finds under my belt) and found this website.

Geocaching Regulations for the National Forests in NC

To protect our valuable natural resources and keep users safe, please abide by the following rules when visiting their national forest:

The following are required for leaving a cache:

x

• You must obtain prior approval before placing a cache. To do this, contact the local Ranger District Office and tell them: 1) Your contact information (name, address, email, and phone); 2) A description of the cache and contents; 3) The coordinates of the proposed cache Location (Lat/Long’s or UTM’s); 4) The date the cache will be placed, and when it will be removed.
  • Forest service personnel will verify the proposed
    site is appropriate for placing a geocache and approve its placement. Advertising locations
    for “virtual” caches such as geologic features,
    scenic views or existing structures do not require prior permission.
  • Leaving a cache is permitted in most general forest areas, but is not allowed in designated Wilderness, Research Stations (like Bent Creek or Coweeta), or sensitive natural areas (District Rangers will identify if there are other areas on the district where leaving a geocache is prohibited
    due to resource concerns).
  • No soil disturbance or cutting of vegetation is allowed when placing or hiding a cache. To protect
    fragile resources, cache locations and the primary access routes to caches must avoid areas such as rockshelters, caves, bogs, wetlands, steep slopes, historic structures, or areas otherwise
    closed to the public. It is preferable to stay close to developed trails.
  • A cache must be temporary – it cannot be left at a given location any longer than one year. Caches that will be in place longer than a year require a formal special use permit.
  • A cache should be no larger than 12”x 12”x 12” in size. It must have an external label designating
    it as a geocache and be permanently marked with the owner’s name and contact information. DO NOT use cartridge boxes or any containers that might be mistaken for explosives or hazardous
    materials.
  • Caches must not contain food, alcohol, weapons, fireworks, or any sort of hazardous materials.
  • A special use permit is required and a fee will be charged for caches associated with a commercial event.
  • The owner must remove a cache if high activity at the site is causing resource damage to natural resources. The Forest Service may remove caches found to be causing resource damage.

For Pisgah Forest Contact Info for that district

PISGAH NATIONAL FOREST

Pisgah Ranger District

1001 Pisgah Highway

Pisgah Forest, NC 28768

828-877-3265

Edited by Snorii

I'd contact NCReviewer for an answer. Your location is in the Pisgah National Forest, and I'm seeing bunches of caches in there with no specific language on the cache pages regarding specific permission. That seems promising. The closest thing to me is the Ocala National Forest, which has no restrictions or permit process for placing caches.

And look, a linky to that National Forest policy is on his profile too.

Requiring permits for NC National Forests is new this year, so you won't see anything on most of the older ones in that area.