Need help on Yellowstone earthcache

greenworldfeather

Hi. I am trying to create an earthcache in Yellowstone National Park. I have everything I should need, aside from permission, but I for got to get the coord's! I was trying to get an earthcache set up at the paint pots but I need two sets of coord's.

The first I need is the Fountain Paint Pots. It is the big one with the sgn next to it.

The second, is the Grand Prismatic Springs.

IF anyone goes by yellowstone, PLEASE GET A A COUPLE SETS OF COORD'S FOR THESE TWO! It will be much appreciated.

Hi. I am trying to create an earthcache in Yellowstone National Park. I have everything I should need, aside from permission, but I for got to get the coord's! I was trying to get an earthcache set up at the paint pots but I need two sets of coord's.

The first I need is the Fountain Paint Pots. It is the big one with the sgn next to it.

The second, is the Grand Prismatic Springs.

I was in Yellowstone just a couple of weeks ago. Isn't there already an earthcache at Grand Prismatic Spring (note: singular)? (another note: Feel free to ignore my spelling.grammar nits. I get pedantic easily).

But aside from those nits, you should be able to get fine coordinates from Google Maps. Here; I will do it for you.

The center of Grand Prismatic Spring is N 44 31.505, W 110 50.298

The nearest spot on the boardwalk is about N 44 31.543, W 110 50.289

Fountain Paint Pots are at about N 44 33.036, W 110 48.377 from the Google Maps satellite photo, but the various online sources disagree a little about their location. I'd say that the coordinates above are plenty good to find it.

FWIW, you can get a great view of the Grand Prismatic Spring from a spot above the trail to Fairy Falls. It's worth the hike. Here's my picture:

3d096ddc-c1e2-44c3-9878-b214e3fcf280.jpg

Earthcache guidelines require you to take accurate waypoints on the site, using a GPS. Using Google Earth to obtain coordinates is not appropriate.

While the guidelines state "You must have visited the site recently (within two months), checked the site is safe and taken multiple GPS readings" they don't specifically state that Google Earth cannot be used. Seems to me, if the OP can prove he/she was there, an appeal can be made to the reviewer.

While the guidelines state:

"You must have visited the site recently (within two months), checked the site is safe and taken multiple GPS readings"

they don't specifically state that Google Earth cannot be used. Seems to me, if the OP can prove he/she was there, an appeal can be made to the reviewer.

:)

Maybe you shouldn't have raised the question here.

Say nothing, no ones any the wiser! (So long as you did take some GPS readings while there...)

:)

:huh::)

Earthcache guidelines require you to take accurate waypoints on the site, using a GPS. Using Google Earth to obtain coordinates is not appropriate.

While the guidelines state "You must have visited the site recently (within two months), checked the site is safe and taken multiple GPS readings" they don't specifically state that Google Earth cannot be used. Seems to me, if the OP can prove he/she was there, an appeal can be made to the reviewer.

Under Guidelines That apply to all caches it says:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS.

Under Guidelines That apply to all caches it says:

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS.

I'm just saying that "maybe" an appeal can be made. May not work, but no harm in asking. After all, these are "guidelines", not laws.

Hey, where's the love?

This whole debate reminds me of the recent US Armed Forces policy of "Don't ask, don't tell!"! Or in this case, Don't tell and maybe you will not be asked! Sorry to those of you who get easily offended at my "vulgar" language? :D

I believe the cat has been let out of the bag and all submissions from the questioners will be carefully scrutinized!

While I don't think you have a good case, one of the good things about the changes made earlier in the year is we now have an 'independent' appeals process. Instead of appealing to those who already turned you down, Groundspeak will look at your claim with a fresh set of eyes. I know, I used it and prevailed! :D

Step 1 in the appeal process is figuring out if there is already an earth cache at the site....

If you forget to take coords, makes sense to me that you could also forget to check for an existing placement.

Asking another person for the coords does not take away your liability as the cache developer to make sure your site is safe for people to visit. That is why the guideline is there.

Remember the guidelines were written this way to PROTECT YOU.....