Jewellery as swag

Merlin-K

I have recently been at some county shows and picked up a nice deal on some necklaces and pendants. My idea was to leave them as swag in some caches.

Would you take and wear jewellery that you found in a cache? Would it help if it was in a bag with a note saying that it was new and hadn't been worn?

Depends on the jewelry. I've seen some but it was more the kid's kind of jewelry/plastic stuff. If it wasn't rusting or molding I'd consider it but run into a conundrum of trading something of equal value. If it looked more expensive I would probably leave it because I don't have any swag worth a ton.

Would you take and wear jewellery that you found in a cache? Would it help if it was in a bag with a note saying that it was new and hadn't been worn?

My daughter took a costume jewelry necklace from a cache, and wears it. Not even sure it was new, but I dipped it to clean it up. She's a teen, and happy with her find. She went for a friendship bracelet in another cache, but it was gone before we got there.

So that's a yes.

For grown-up me, the bag would help.

I keep about a dozen jewelry items in my swag bag. I'd guess the value of th items I have are between about 3 and 20 dollars. (I don't count Martigras beads as jewelry) I've left some and seen notes that it was taken, when I went back to log my husband or son's find. I put a pretty nice necklace I made (at least several dollars in supplies) in one of my caches and the FTF said "took necklace left lots of silly bands." At the time I didn't know what silly bands were and I happened to be driving by the next day so I checked. There were 3-5 of the things and I was a bit put out that they thought my necklace had so little value. But I did realize that could happen and I let it go. Personally I'd love to find jewelry in a cache. It doesn't have to be new either. I used to love buying jewelry from auctions and flea markets. Just as long as it's not broken trash. I put mine in a baggie. Next time I put out one of the one's I did last time I need to put a card in with it, which I forgot to do. It was one of my Baby Dust necklaces that is supposed to bring infertile couples hope and hopefully luck while trying to conceive. I sent a note to the person who picked it up so they would know what it was and not wear it lightly. LOL

I have recently been at some county shows and picked up a nice deal on some necklaces and pendants. My idea was to leave them as swag in some caches.

My youngest girl found a little locket in a cache once and you would have thought she had picked up the Hope Diamond! Sounds like you have a fine idea.

I picked up some jewelery on a big sale to use in cache trade. I have a few caches that I plan to go after that jewelery is the theme of the cache. I also picked up some fishing lures to put in caches that were on sale and use those in some of the other caches. I wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in good freezer baggies. I also leave a note with them indicating that these were left to make me pleased with finding the cache and as long as what they leave is a good (not a broken item) that is fine with me.

Edited by dibug

I'd love to find bits of jewellery in a cache! Please do this :D So long as it's in good wearable condition, it wouldn't matter how "cheap" it was - I'd swap for it as something I could wear to remind me of the fun I had geocaching :-)

I agree with the others, put your jewellery in a little ziplock bag to make sure it doesn't get wrecked by the damp (I've seen so many bits of metal jewellery that have gone rusty in caches).

I'd love to find bits of jewellery in a cache! Please do this :D So long as it's in good wearable condition, it wouldn't matter how "cheap" it was - I'd swap for it as something I could wear to remind me of the fun I had geocaching :-)

I agree with the others, put your jewellery in a little ziplock bag to make sure it doesn't get wrecked by the damp (I've seen so many bits of metal jewellery that have gone rusty in caches).

There is seldom a rust problem with gold :D

I make jewelry out of glass beads and semi-precious stones and love leaving them in caches. I do some hand-knotted keychains out of all-weather tiny gauge rope as well. It's fun making them knowing somebody will be happy to come across it in a cache. I like leaving useful items. Oh and I do leave them in a ziplock baggie.

This week-end I found a veritable-looking ring in a cache, during a 24km hike in the mountains. My first reaction was "someone wants to propose and hid the ring for his partner to find". I looked at it and concluded it's a cheap one - gold is usually marked as such, and this one was unmarked (and had a small manufacturing defect), and if the metal is not gold, the stones aren't diamonds either. Read the logs, it was placed by the previous finder 4 days before. Left it there, I couldn't determine its value and thought it was more expensive than anything I had in my caching bag.

I regularly wear two pieces of jewelry I got from caches - one is a little beaded bracelet, and another is a pair of earrings made out of circuit boards.

Once thing to be careful about circuit board jewelry is the lead in the solder. There have been kids poisoned by mouthing key chains, Etc made from boards.