Confused about Geocoins...

ohjeremy

I'm new to geocaching and have discovered trackables. I know that some trackables are meant to travel to specific locations and you can find that out on its page, but geocoins seem to be different. Are geocoins meant for collections purpose or are they meant to travel or does it just depend on the coin?

Thanks!

Geocoins are another form of trackable. They belong to someone and they are meant to travel. Notice that there is a tracking number on each, so you can log that you picked it up from a cache and log again when you drop it into another cache.

You probably won't have any way to determine if the coin has a mission when you pick it up, unless the owner printed out a mission and the coin and paper are in a baggie together. But if the coin is by itself, just retrieve and log it, and try to move it on to another cache soon.

Have fun with trackables you find.

Geocoins are another form of trackable. They belong to someone and they are meant to travel. Notice that there is a tracking number on each, so you can log that you picked it up from a cache and log again when you drop it into another cache.

You probably won't have any way to determine if the coin has a mission when you pick it up, unless the owner printed out a mission and the coin and paper are in a baggie together. But if the coin is by itself, just retrieve and log it, and try to move it on to another cache soon.

Have fun with trackables you find.

So why do people buy, sell, and trade them? Shouldn't they just be placed in a cache?

So why do people buy, sell, and trade them? Shouldn't they just be placed in a cache?

If the person owns the coin and they know other people want to own one too, then you have the buy, sell, and trade part of it. A lot of times people create a 500 batch of a coin and sell/trade those.

If they find it in a cache and it is owned by someone who wants it to travel, then they shouldn't be selling it.

I'm new to geocaching and have discovered trackables. I know that some trackables are meant to travel to specific locations and you can find that out on its page, but geocoins seem to be different. Are geocoins meant for collections purpose or are they meant to travel or does it just depend on the coin?

Thanks!

Geocoins are trackables just like travel bugs or any of the promotional travelers. The only difference is the unique design elements of each geocoin run. Most are minted in 50-100 to 1000 unit runs and then the design is retired so they become collectible. They can also be so compelling to keep that instead of releasing them to travel, as you rightly noted is what they're made for. However there is a loss rate that has become unbearable for most people so the idea of tossing $10-15 away for no good reason is losing its appeal.

..... However there is a loss rate that has become unbearable for most people so the idea of tossing $10-15 away for no good reason is losing its appeal.

I agree that losing geocoins is painful but I don't think sending them out is for no good reason. On the contrary I think it's for a good reason. Most of coins I have sent out have rendered in very nice comments in the logs. I think the cachers that finds them are happy to see them.