Getting Geocaching Containers

andrew091690

small pill bottles are available at the pharmacy, glue small sections of pvc pipe together, use skoal cans, look for small candy containers. i found one that looks like a small barrel with a lid that is the same size as a 35mm canister and it has a handle on it.im thinking about using markers to make micro caches.

good luck

Please, start yourself off on the right foot, and never use film canisters or other containers that leak.

An excellent micro container is the "Waterproof Matchstick Holder", sold at Wal*Mart for $1. They are orange but can be painted easily or covered with camo duct tape, also available at Wal*Mart.

waterproof_match_case_lg.jpg

Other good ones are bison tubes, lock & locks, and ammo cans.

Here is a page to read about containers: Cache Containers

Do they sell bison tubes at walmart?

Something similar. There are metal keychain "pill bottles" in the pharmacy area. Look in drugstores, too. Those cheaper containers often have a cheap o-ring, so prepare to upgrade that.

You can get film canisters at places like Wal*Mart, at the photo department. The canisters are thrown away, so the employees need to dig in their trash to retrieve them. Moisture can get into these canisters and then not evaporate. If you decide to use these (due to them being free), please maintain them, so they don't have perpetually soaking wet logs. I've had one in the wilds for a year and it's dry, but it just depends on the inividual canister and the hiding spot (and how roughly it gets handled). This applies to most any container -- don't wait for the "needs maintenance" report, go check on it once in a while.

Edited by kunarion

The film containers have an even better use than for cache containers. They make great CITO packs.

Each one will hold a grocery store plastic shopping bag and somewhere around here (help with the link please) is a printable label for the film container.

They make great handouts at events or swag for in caches.

I started Geocaching in May and I think I'm ready to hide my first cache... the problem is, I can't seem to be able to get small containers anywhere. I wanted to start with film containers but no one sells them anymore and I can't find a place to get old ones... any tips?

Elderly relatives are good for medicine jars of various sizes. Or me - I have too many. Or folks with sick cats, that's me. They're not entirely waterproof, but great for protected caches.

Talk to the few remaining local film processing centers in Target / Costco / CVS for empty film canisters - they usually throw them out or recycle them, and would likely hand you a dozen with a smile. Or talk to a photography club in your area - we've got one that still used film last I checked in the next county.

The aforementioned camo tape from Wal-Mart is a good investment. Or get your bison tubes pre-camo'ed from a kid I met at an event this weekend... www.geocachingstuff.com I don't have a lot of experience, but his prices looked amazing to me.

We've picked up a couple as prizes at local geocaching events. Did I mention I love events? Meet new folks, my kids meet other geocaching kids, enjoy company and find new places / caches. And events count in our streak (38 days in a row so far!).

I hope this helps.

here come the film canister haters :)

they are absolutely fine if placed in adequate spots

as for the pill bottles, they royally suck especially the ones with a big body and a small opening

those in favor of pill containers, please go and try to get the log out after 10-15 people have visited your cache

Edited by t4e