Personal TB

webscouter.

I do not do virtual caches usually (I only have 3 and one of those was not a virtual when I found it but has since been changed), they bore me. And no I do not post a note. I am actually deleting and reposting my find logs. I want the bugs log to match the dates I actually visited the cache. It does mean editting the date back and pasting back in the original text for each cache I have found. I also have a cache of my own that is only a couple blocks from my home, my bug starts each cache run here and ends up back here at the end of the journey, this allows me to track the ACF miles from and back to my home for each adventure I have. I do post a note to the "home" cache when the bug returns home.

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**

Bazzle,

Checked out your Personal TB.....if you are going to back track on all your cache visits though, you are going to have a very long list. for every "placement" and "retreival" there will be an entry, so the list will end up being twice as long as it has to be. The trick is: delete all of the "retreived" entries, then the TB just jumps from one to the next without losing any mileage. Checkout my own Personal TB called: Reptar Personal Travel Bug at http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=39858. You will see what I mean.

Good luck

''Having an open mind is just fine....as long as you have something to pour into it.'' (Neru?)

I had thought about that, but in some cases it appeared to alter the mileage. Maybe I saw it wrong, will have to look at it again. The real trick is having the "home cache", this way it relates to my trips from home and back again rather than just from one cache to the next. This is a more accurate record of my caching miles since I have not done all of my caches in one big trip icon_wink.gif. Thanx for the tip, I will certainly check it out.

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by webscouter495:

Anyone ever heard of someone creating a TB that they carry to all the caches that they post...

Yes, it was one of the first applications Jeremy suggested when he first announced the travel bugs. My Worldtraveler travel bug is attached to my Garmin V that I've used for all my cache hunts. I think I probably have the worst caching mileage (caches per mile) on record. icon_biggrin.gif

The drawback is the long time it takes to load the page as the number of caches increases. The map is also pretty useless without a zoom feature, but it's still fun to track the mileage.

worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Cache:

I am considering doing this as well. Have you all ever had any of the cache owners delete any of your logs for backtracking?

CraZy Cache

Why would they do that? I found the cache and signed the log. What I do is edit my existing log so I can copy the text, then delete the log, then repost it with the original date and paste the text back in this time dropping my bug, then retrieve my bug. Would be easier if you could drop a bug in the edit screen but that is not possible yet. So the cache owner gets a new email with an old log. I have had a couple thank me for my visit icon_smile.gif. If the do I point out the old date and let them know what I am doing, they all understand.

As far as caching in other states, I do that as well. But I always return home and so does my bug, so it seems pretty realistic to me. The return home is not between every cache, it is between each trip. So if I am out of state for a while, like when I go to Arizona each summer, the bug only returns to the "home" cache when I return from my trip, during the trip it goes from cache to cache, just as I do. What I am trying to do is get a better idea of the miles I travel while caching, not just the distance between each cache, so the return home fits that idea.

**Namaste**

quote:

Anyone ever heard of someone creating a TB that they carry to all the caches that they post, log it in and out. This would allow someone to get a neat map of all the caches they have visited and the miles they have traveled to find caches.

Yep! I got one too. Chuck's PTB Compass. The only problem about the maps is that if you do a lot of caching in the same area its really hard to read the map, check out mine...

icon_eek.gif You can make out his map a little better.

Been there... Done that...

quote:

Anyone ever heard of someone creating a TB that they carry to all the caches that they post, log it in and out. This would allow someone to get a neat map of all the caches they have visited and the miles they have traveled to find caches.

As of this date, mine is #4 in the TB top 10, just ahead of Centris' personal TB. I think that the #1 tb is also a personal bug. I can't tell because all the logs are in German. The pictures would suggest that it is.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

WWJD For a Klondike bar?

Mine is also my Avatar, I picked up on the Idea from World Traveller a couple of weeks ago, and backtracked all my finds, which didn't take long as I've only been at this 2 months. Although, I've now clocked up over 12,000 miles.

It'd be a couple of thousand more if I'd logged a cache on my first day of the last trip, took the rental car back with an extra 3,000 on the clock, in just 18 days!

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

Would be easier if you could drop a bug in the edit screen but that is not possible yet. So the cache owner gets a new email with an old log.

This is very interesting. I was about to dispute you on this point, but I went back and checked and found out that you can't drop a bug when you just edit your cache log. You used to be able to do that, but it probably disappeared about the time the "edit this log in a new window," or separate view went into effect. When I did my backtrack, it was very easy to click the edit link and then drop the bug, then grab the bug from the cache. If you have a lot of caches that you need to backtrack to, I would think that it would be a daunting experience to delete your logs and then re-insert them in the correct place.

quote:
As far as caching in other states, I do that as well. But I always return home and so does my bug, so it seems pretty realistic to me. The return home is not between every cache, it is between each trip. So if I am out of state for a while, like when I go to Arizona each summer, the bug only returns to the "home" cache when I return from my trip, during the trip it goes from cache to cache, just as I do.
Hmmm. There's a thought. I haven't done that, but might. I do log my bug into any cache that I hide, but don't make multiple logs, but what you say makes sense.
quote:
What I am trying to do is get a better idea of the miles I travel while caching, not just the distance between each cache, so the return home fits that idea.

I do mostly local caches, so when I come home from trips, the next cache I go to usually serves the same purpose as what you do. Nice thing about it, is that it's a personal choice on how to do it.

To answer Webscouter495's original question - Yes. I have a personal travel bug. icon_smile.gif

A Walk with Webfoot is the name I gave mine. I log virtual caches, but not locationless caches because I feel they would skew the data I'm trying to create with my bug. Virtuals are part of the caching experience, so I log those, because you're physically at the cache site. Locationless caches can be anywhere and the mileage wouldn't be indicative of where I found the particular cache, or thing.

I've even considered logging the bug into my not found logs, since I was in the general area of that cache, just didn't find it as that would really give me a true picture of where I'd been caching, but decided to make the bug just a "Found" cache bug. I think people could make arguments for both ways and there would be people who would agree with both sides. To each his or her own.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by CWL:

Yep! I got one too. http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=23953. The only problem about the maps is that if you do a lot of caching in the same area its really hard to read the map, check out mine...

The maps showes everyone I've hit so far I havn't only caches in the surrounding states and have racked up 8317.11 miles.

It helps if you live close to a body of water too, or at least find a cache near one, since the map is all grean otherwise and hard to figure out where the heck you are.

Here's mine...

gen_travelbugmap.asp?TID=31388&Cmd=Image&Left=-181.44&Right=181.44&Top=123.80910168457&Bottom=-130.20689831543&Pos=10

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

Southern California Geocaching