Wanton vandalism

Hi Folks,

My first time using the forum so please be patient.

I live in England and just found this note entry for my 'Motorway mayhem M1 J26'. I am understandably insensed!!!!! Any suggestions of a tack I should take? Is this a common problem? Can thier accunt be disabbled at their ISB number?

Cheers, Elmswood Gardeners.

August 3 by brownturdy

We're back ;-) in actual fact really we never went away. We're just *very* patient....

This has been "groped" (GROup for Environmental Protection). The container and it's contents have been removed and destroyed.

Your environmental vandalism will NOT be tolerated.

Before any of you morons bleat on about us removing this "geolitter" (your phrase not ours!), remember that dropping LITTER (ie these pathetic containers) is a CRIMINAL offence punishable by a fine up to £1,000.

So please, feel free, go into the police and make a complaint.

96 and counting

i am having a hard time finding anything official about this so called "GROup for Environmental Protection", are they official or just a bunch of bored people that are making their own rules?

if they are not official, they are the ones on the wrong side of the law

its very tempting to send a message, but i know that would just "feed" their egos

i am having a hard time finding anything official about this so called "GROup for Environmental Protection", are they official or just a bunch of bored people that are making their own rules?

its very tempting to send a message, but i know that would just "feed" their egos

They have been discussed a few times in this forum. Along with "Earth Defender" up in the PacNorWest.

These isolated groups of idealogical fascists exist, in small numbers, if not solely, massaging their own egos for what a good little person they are by ruining outdoor fun for others. As long as geocaches follow park guidelines, these people 'grope' and 'earth defender' are the violators.

Do keep in mind, the warped sense of morals these people have means if the parks management people approve of geocaches then the so-called enviroment saviours will simply self appoint themselves over parks management as greater authorities - because, they know what's best for the environment. :):):)

Probably isn't even a group. Probably one person. If it was an actual group they'd be doing a lot more damage.

Probably isn't even a group. Probably one person. If it was an actual group they'd be doing a lot more damage.

Happily, we get better PR than the No Fun Club does. :):):):huh:

Edited by DragonsWest

Sorry to hear about this.

I don't suppose it would be in the proper spirit of geocaching to bait them with one of those exploding ink packets they put in bank bags during robberies?

I'm kidding

sort of

Genius! Just have to make sure it's not an actual cacher seeking the cache!

If that's your game, deactivate it as a geocache and leave the location vacant for at least a month.

No guarantee you will get your intended victim. :)

So think it over.

I don't suppose it would be in the proper spirit of geocaching to bait them with one of those exploding ink packets they put in bank bags during robberies?

I'm kidding

sort of

If that's your game, deactivate it as a geocache and leave the location vacant for at least a month.

So think it over.

I know that we're all kidding here about a dye pack, but the topic of what to do with a cache "maggot" comes up here from time to time. The other day I was re-reading the Terms of Use and this point caught my eye:

You agree not to:

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user.

Even a "cache maggot", if they have an account, is a Site User. But more important is the potential legal repercussions that could come from many sorts of retailiation.

I know that we're all kidding here about a dye pack, but the topic of what to do with a cache "maggot" comes up here from time to time. The other day I was re-reading the Terms of Use and this point caught my eye:

You agree not to:

Even a "cache maggot", if they have an account, is a Site User. But more important is the potential legal repercussions that could come from many sorts of retailiation.

If you get caught.

You agree not to:

If you get caught.

Cute, but read it again:

You agree not to:

I live in England and just found this note entry for my 'Motorway mayhem M1 J26'. I am understandably insensed!!!!! Any suggestions of a tack I should take? Is this a common problem? Can thier accunt be disabbled at their ISB number?

Cheers, Elmswood Gardeners.

As others have pointed out, not feeding the trolls is probably the best approach. They do this solely to annoy people, claims of environmental activism are just part of the game. If they really had a political agenda they would be actively seeking to engage in debate, not simply trolling and then sitting back with popcorn to watch the results.

There might be some mileage in reporting thefts to the police. Unless they are posting all their logs from internet cafes they are actually fairly easily traceable - Groundspeak will have the IP address logged from the posts and, even if they are using floating IP addresses or dial-ups, the ISP they used will have records of which customer/telephone number was using the address at the time of the posting. So, if the police could actually be persuaded to take action finding them would probably be quite simple.

So, best advice is probably ignore them online and, provided your cache was legally placed, report it to the police. Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll do something.

I'm kidding

sort of

No guarantee you will get your intended victim. :D

So think it over.

You agree not to:

There must be something in the rules covering not stealing caches also. (W + W) = R.

(Two wrongs make a right.) :D

Hi Folks,

The vandals have even been reading this thread. Sending me a threatening E-Mail. Truly pathetic Eh? My Father-in-Law is a Police Sergeant so I will seek his advice on this matter.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

The vandal violated the TOS of geocaching.

I'm kidding

sort of

So think it over.

You agree not to:

Honestly, I would love to know how you are in any kind of defensible position if you stole the cache, and ended up getting dye all over yourself. A legitimate cacher might be upset, but wouldn't be stealing the cache. A person stealing them would have trouble filing a complaint - "I got this nasty dye all over me, but did it while stealing something...um... forget that complaint - have a nice day".