Darn that private security!

Dragery

LOL OK so after this local Meet and Greet, I was going to go back and place a cache that I had previously scoped out. It's just a regular office building parking lot. My wife drove me through it at about 9:00pm and this security guard shone his flashlight in our window as we drove through the parking lot.. We decided to go to the store and attempt to return about 45 minutes after. Well we pull into the parking lot NEXT to said office building and the security guard comes running out shinning his flash light at us once again asking what we're doing. Me being semi drunk I repeated every question he asked to him; such as "Hey what are you doing!", "What do you want?!".. My wife was driving so after he started jotting down our license plate she started driving away (even tho he wouldn't have been able to do anything with it). Anyways I thought it was a funny experience, he just came out yelling at us! (Yes I'm aware I was probably coming off the wrong way being in a not-so-sober state and all....)

This post has no point, and is not looking for constructive, or non-constructive feedback, I just thought it was semi-humorous at the time.

Props to the security guard for doing his job and protecting the property!

Edited by Dragery

Not a thrill I would like to encounter.

No geocacher would! That is why stealth is a must!

Putting the onus on cachers to be "stealthy" at parking lot caches seems like a poor strategy from an ownership and maintenance standpoint. Many cachers, rightly or wrongly, have some disdain for parking lot hides and will not bother with any level of stealth.

I know of one cacher who makes a game out of getting lamp post skirts to screech when he lifts them.

Putting the onus on cachers to be "stealthy" at parking lot caches seems like a poor strategy from an ownership and maintenance standpoint. Many cachers, rightly or wrongly, have some disdain for parking lot hides and will not bother with any level of stealth.

I know of one cacher who makes a game out of getting lamp post skirts to screech when he lifts them.

Nice :anibad: I wish I had the luxury (being in such a cache saturated area) to not have to worry about being stealthy... Unfortunately, it's part of the game. They even have attributes for it! Which I plan to add as soon as I place the cache :rolleyes:

Edited by Dragery

Also this cache isn't even on the property in which this security guard was protecting, it was on the property that I parked on the second time! I plan on it being a 3 difficulty :anibad:.. I'll never place a LPH as long as I'm breathing lol.

"Stealth Required" is usually a euphemism for "there really ought not to be a cache here."

I guess.. but then again, I don't know how you crazy Canadians do things up there. Down here tho, it usually means "Be sneaky" or "don't get caught".

...guard comes running out shinning his flash light at us once again asking what we're doing. Me being semi drunk ...

The problem was that you weren't drunk enough. If you had had a few more drinks, you wouldn't have cared. Not that I would condone being drunk in public. :-)

Edited by jeepdelfuego

"Stealth Required" is usually a euphemism for "there really ought not to be a cache here."

I guess.. but then again, I don't know how you crazy Canadians do things up there. Down here tho, it usually means "Be sneaky" or "don't get caught".

Not sure why my country of residence is relevant. I can assure you that parking lots in the two countries are generally very similar.

today, i went to a cache that was guarded with hobos... :anibad:

One of those robbed me from my FTF last week because he was sleeping at GZ! I tried to sneak around behind him without waking him up, but I would have had to go within like 10 feet of him, and I figured that wasn't very wise...

For some reason I doubt you have permission to hide this cache. A responsible cache hider would post info regarding permission, and advise security before they "upped the difficulty due to muggles."

Or, "yet another urban cache to place on the ignore list." :) Pretending you're an undercover agent searching for a "secret stash," while dodging security = :)

One of those robbed me from my FTF last week because he was sleeping at GZ! I tried to sneak around behind him without waking him up, but I would have had to go within like 10 feet of him, and I figured that wasn't very wise...

You could lure him away with peanut butter crackers

or perhaps cheap liquor

you just have to be creative

For some reason I doubt you have permission to hide this cache. A responsible cache hider would post info regarding permission, and advise security before they "upped the difficulty due to muggles."

Or, "yet another urban cache to place on the ignore list." :) Pretending you're an undercover agent searching for a "secret stash," while dodging security = :)

Looks like most of his are that way :)

LOL OK so after this local Meet and Greet, I was going to go back and place a cache that I had previously scoped out. It's just a regular office building parking lot. My wife drove me through it at about 9:00pm and this security guard shone his flashlight in our window as we drove through the parking lot.. We decided to go to the store and attempt to return about 45 minutes after. Well we pull into the parking lot NEXT to said office building and the security guard comes running out shinning his flash light at us once again asking what we're doing. Me being semi drunk I repeated every question he asked to him; such as "Hey what are you doing!", "What do you want?!".. My wife was driving so after he started jotting down our license plate she started driving away (even tho he wouldn't have been able to do anything with it). Anyways I thought it was a funny experience, he never gave us the chance to explain what we were there for, he just came out yelling at us! (Yes I'm aware I was probably coming off the wrong way being in a not-so-sober state and all....

This post has no point, and is not looking for constructive, or non-constructive feedback, I just thought it was semi-humorous at the time.

Props to the security guard for doing his job and protecting the property!

LOL Yeah that was really funny, thanks. When are you going back to that regular office building parking lot?

Edited by Team Cotati

PRIVATE SECURITY GUARDS: Spoiling the fun of people Geocaching on private property without permission since 2005.

Notice how I didn't say "since 2000". :)

You are sadly mistaken. Owners who demand stealth from seekers are misguided. If I am confronted by security or law enforcement, I will simply stop what I am doing and explain it to them. I have every right to expect that you do have permission to place this cache there, and will share that with security. If they are not aware that the cache is placed with permission, and they remove it thinking it is a suspicious object, that becomes your problem, not mine. I'm off to find the next cache.

PS-My Slogan=caching since 2002/plenty of honest conversations with security and LEO's

Edited by wimseyguy

Owners who demand stealth from seekers are misguided. If I am confronted by security or law enforcement, I will simply stop what I am doing and explain it to them. I have every right to expect that you do have permission to place this cache there, and will share that with security. If they are not aware that the cache is placed with permission, and they remove it thinking it is a suspicious object, that becomes your problem, not mine. I'm off to find the next cache.

PS-My Slogan=caching since 2002/plenty of honest conversations with security and LEO's

I agree with this completely! I make no attempts to be stealthy, I just walk up to GZ and start searching. If somebody sees me retrieving and removing the cache, it's not my problem -- it's the COs problem for putting it somewhere inappropriate. In these terrorism-crazed times, the LAST thing I want to do is to act "stealthy" or "sneaky" while removing/replacing a small container in a public place. If a cop pulls up while I'm searching, I keep searching until he walks up to me an addresses me. I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal, however, if I'm acting "sneaky" or "stealthy", than it sure looks like I'm doing something wrong or illegal which is why I refuse to do it.

You are sadly mistaken. Owners who demand stealth from seekers are misguided. If I am confronted by security or law enforcement, I will simply stop what I am doing and explain it to them. I have every right to expect that you do have permission to place this cache there, and will share that with security. If they are not aware that the cache is placed with permission, and they remove it thinking it is a suspicious object, that becomes your problem, not mine. I'm off to find the next cache.

Yes, I too am not a fan of the "blame game" some cache owners seem to like to roll with when their cache goes missing.

I think you misunderstood my slogan; what I was going for is people didn't cache in parking lots before 2005. At least not in my area. I can't speak for Nashville, Jacksonville, and Erie, Pa. :)

PRIVATE SECURITY GUARDS: Spoiling the fun of people Geocaching on private property without permission since 2005.

Notice how I didn't say "since 2000". :huh:

Yeah, I noticed that. Waaaaayyyyy cool. :)

Do you have permission from property owner to place a cache there?

Yes, the security just doesn't know about it, and I'd prefer to keep it that way!

If permission isn't an issue, wouldn't it be favourable to have security aware of it?

no, that takes away from the thrill.

This may be the most irresponsible, dimwitted, misguided thing I've ever seen on this forum*.

*Note: I'm attacking the idea, not the person. For all I know, Dragery may be a prince among men and deserving a Nobel Prize. Even geniuses sometimes do really stupid stuff.

Owners who demand stealth from seekers are misguided. If I am confronted by security or law enforcement, I will simply stop what I am doing and explain it to them. I have every right to expect that you do have permission to place this cache there, and will share that with security. If they are not aware that the cache is placed with permission, and they remove it thinking it is a suspicious object, that becomes your problem, not mine. I'm off to find the next cache.

I agree with this completely! I make no attempts to be stealthy, I just walk up to GZ and start searching. If somebody sees me retrieving and removing the cache, it's not my problem -- it's the COs problem for putting it somewhere inappropriate. In these terrorism-crazed times, the LAST thing I want to do is to act "stealthy" or "sneaky" while removing/replacing a small container in a public place. If a cop pulls up while I'm searching, I keep searching until he walks up to me an addresses me. I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal, however, if I'm acting "sneaky" or "stealthy", than it sure looks like I'm doing something wrong or illegal which is why I refuse to do it.

Well I think that you are also missguided. Although you should not have to avoid LEO when caching, it is realy your job to not draw muggle attention to a cache. If you don't think you can, then don't look for it. But, I will aggree that your technique is often the best for not attrachting attention. And your statments about the cops are totaly correct, don't want to appear sneaky.

Statments like "It is the COs problem" make you sound like an ignorant jerk.

Lamp post skirts also make a great rattling sound if you get them to fall the right way.

Watch out, you'll get accused of posting a spoiler!! :) (kidding)

Anyhoo, I agree that security needs to be aware of the situation. In this sort of situation, I don't think that possibly upsetting the guards should be part of the thrill, and the angrier the guards get, the more likely the owner of the property may want to rescind his/her permission, and your cache will be archived.

I would make sure that security knows. It will make caching a better experience for everyone there, not only that, but cachers will be protected as they search, and no one will have to deal with getting yelled at by the guard as you did (not that I think the guard did anything wrong, he was just doing his job).

My geofriend had one published. Full permision from the occupants and owners of the building. The building and parking lot has a state patrol officer stationed there (Government office). He came out to question me. I was honest and friendly. I found out after I left he removed the cache. It was replaced, and he removed it again. He knows that she has permission to place it there, but still kept removing it. It is now archived. Try to work with the security.

I do try use reasonable stealth on all caches I search for. However, if I was looking for your cache, and security approached me, they would know about the cache.

If questioned by either private security or by police, I let them know exactly what I am doing and what I am looking for. If you truly do have permission for the cache it should not be a problem.

I do try use reasonable stealth on all caches I search for. However, if I was looking for your cache, and security approached me, they would know about the cache.

If questioned by either private security or by police, I let them know exactly what I am doing and what I am looking for. If you truly do have permission for the cache it should not be a problem.

I would have, and actually have done as well. :) I'm sure someone with more patience than I had last night would have taken the time to inform him the correct way. I was just laughing too hard the 2nd time around after the 'flashlight in the window as we passed by' incident the first time.

I wouldn't expect anyone to lie about their intentions when confronted while looking for a cache. I'd personally rather not get confronted tho.

I would have, and actually have done as well. :) I'm sure someone with more patience than I had last night would have taken the time to inform him the correct way. I was just laughing too hard the 2nd time around after the 'flashlight in the window as we passed by' incident the first time.

I wouldn't expect anyone to lie about their intentions when confronted while looking for a cache. I'd personally rather not get confronted tho.

The last thing I'd have in mind while placing (or planning) a cache is to frustrate security doing their job.

Making certain the nearby security guard is aware there may be geocachers coming and going at any hour, including weekends, allows the guard to focus on genuine concerns to the the property in his/her charge.

Who knows, you may find yet another convert to geocaching. :)

This is going to be one very fulfilling experience for the finders that go after the cache while the security guard is working. Even though he may be a private security guard and he was "guarding" property that he wasn't hired to guard, that sounds like pretty childish behavior for an adult. Sooner or later, he is going to figure out that there is a geocache over there, and he's going to figure out what you were doing there, and he sure is not likely to look favorably on those he spots looking for it.

Who knows, you may find yet another convert to geocaching. :huh:

Team 360 had a cool micro in front of the Colorado Belle in Laughlin, Nevada.

I went for it 2 times only to pass it up because of an alert security officer.

When the coast was clear and I finally got the cache, while signing the log, I caught movement out of my peripheral as the officer mounted on a bike glided up behind me... busted... As he glided past he whispered, "I was first to find on that one." :):):)

Yet, your intention is to set up the rest of us for just that? Because you think it will give us a thrill?

You entered the lot twice in 45 mins and were immediately confronted. What happens to the first cacher that looks for it?

We share the same reviewers and I know how they operate. As soon as the first cacher shares their "thrilling" experience with them. Instant archival.

Who knows, you may find yet another convert to geocaching. :huh:

Team 360 had a cool micro in front of the Colorado Belle in Laughlin, Nevada.

I went for it 2 times only to pass it up because of an alert security officer.

When the coast was clear and I finally got the cache, while signing the log, I caught movement out of my peripheral as the officer mounted on a bike glided up behind me... busted... As he glided past he whispered, "I was first to find on that one." :):):)

LOL I like the ones who are cool about it.

As for my behavior, I'm well aware it was childish, and I'm not even going to try and defend it :o

Yet, your intention is to set up the rest of us for just that? Because you think it will give us a thrill?

You entered the lot twice in 45 mins and were immediately confronted. What happens to the first cacher that looks for it?

We share the same reviewers and I know how they operate. As soon as the first cacher shares their "thrilling" experience with them. Instant archival.

Reminds me of a cache at the Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario. Almost every other log is about people being asked to leave by security, when it was finally my turn to get it, my first attempt security pulled up right away, I came back later and made the grab before they pulled up :) One of my most memorable. Keep in mind people, this is a game, and different people play it different ways, no need to take up arms over 1 cache where you don't agree with the circumstances in which it's placed. Simply put if it doesn't sound like your cup-o-tea, I don't expect you to search for it.

Sounds like an invitation for a whole new string of caches from someone -- the "Paul Blart" caches. A series of caches hidden on private shopping center or mall parking lots where they have a security patrol.

Note: I am kidding. Shouldn't need to say that but otherwise someone will come back with a snarky or two.

Sounds like an invitation for a whole new string of caches from someone -- the "Paul Blart" caches. A series of caches hidden on private shopping center or mall parking lots where they have a security patrol.

Note: I am kidding. Shouldn't need to say that but otherwise someone will come back with a snarky or two.

Watch out for Mr. Blart

Watch out for Mr. Blart

LOL....just shows that no matter how dumb an idea might be, someone else has probably already thought of it.

But I would like to mention that this is just a single cache, not a series. So I can't award full points.

Keep in mind people, this is a game, and different people play it different ways, no need to take up arms over 1 cache where you don't agree with the circumstances in which it's placed. Simply put if it doesn't sound like your cup-o-tea, I don't expect you to search for it.
I am not going to jump up and down, yelling "You are giving geocaching a black eye!", but to a certain extent, we all represent Geocachers each and every time we go out there, and our reputation is an important part of our ability to continue with our activity. Did your behavior enhance our reputation?