Wanna add your input?

It is apparent you have been a lousy spouse. The ex is using the kids to punish you beyond the normal court period. It doesn't matter what you come up with, the ex will find innumerable other things to hit you over the head with. Eventually the ex will convince the kids you sexually abused them and go to the cops. You haven't got a chance.

Can I have your stuff before the ex gets it all?

Not even remotely funny.

But true

Assumption based on what evidence?

based on what my brothers ex did to him

Irrelevant to the situation at hand. What one couple goes through is not the same as another.

I think "scavenger hunt" is a better descriptive term than "treasure hunt" to describe geocaching.

I think "treasure hunt" makes many people think of wasting away tons of money digging for pirate gold that probably doesn't really exist.

How about "technology-based outdoor puzzle-solving activity"?

What the OP is going through is terrible. I agree with some of the PP's, though...it's just an excuse. It wouldn't matter what wonderful thing he was doing with the kids, she'd hate it and find some problem with it.

That said, though, I love all the positive experiences people are sharing here. Geocaching has *really* gotten me and the hubby off the couch and outside a lot more than we used to be. That's got to be good!

--Q

If you take the amount of time kids these days are in front of the TV screen, then you add it to the time they are in front of the computer screen playing games, or in front of a video game screen, add those all together as the average lifestyle of a kid these days,

and now try to tell me that is more healthy than getting outdoors and getting some exercise?????

Wow, they're really pushing it on this one!!

Is that really the best argument they had against you?????

So more people these days are depressed due to shortage of Vit D, which is of course from the sun. So now I'm out geocaching getting some sun instead of sitting inside.

When I've moved it's helped me learn about my new neighborhoods. I moved four years ago and got lost in my new town. I was wandering, late to an appointment, almost panicking, then I saw some bear statues and remember reading about them on a cache page. I never went to the cache, but I knew where I was. I turned left and got to my destination. Geocaching teaches geography.

Geocaching teaches puzzle solving. We have really tough puzzle caches around my area, I don't know about yours.

Geocaching teaches how to use a GPS.

GPS teaches team building. When you find caches with others you've got to play fair and not always be the one running ahead to find it. You've got to give everyone an equal chance.

Geocaching teaches us how to use maps. We've got to find the location before we can use the coordinates. Also we have to find them on maps on the computer before we input them into our GPS.

Geocaching also teaches us how to use the computer. We've got to log the caches and also find them.

I've used geocaching to get out of the house in a severe depression. It was the only thing that got me out the door. I used to say, you can get one geocache if you'll just go grocery shopping. I would not leave the house otherwise. So geocaching can also save lives. :)

Actually if you do a little research you'll find that the most people geocaching are actually people in their 40's and 50's. (if the poll was accurate) There are people of all ages doing it, but some did a poll and that was the answer that came back. I think the oldest person doing it was in their 80's.

i'm sure he hopes he'll never grow up too!!!

I am in amazement! This forum has reached a new low in allowing this thread to go on. the moderators getting sucked in to the foray is even a low for them. I suppose for saying so they will delete my post or maybe even ban me but too bad. what in the world does someone's divorce and custody problems have to do with geocaching? this thread would make a better read in the cache in trash out section.

I am in amazement! This forum has reached a new low in allowing this thread to go on. the moderators getting sucked in to the foray is even a low for them. I suppose for saying so they will delete my post or maybe even ban me but too bad. what in the world does someone's divorce and custody problems have to do with geocaching? this thread would make a better read in the cache in trash out section.

Thank you for this helpful and insightful post on the subject!

In fact, I thought the same thing until I actually read the OP.

Turns out he was giving a little bit of contextual background, for what this thread was really about:

"How is geocaching a positive activity for children"

In your rush to make this completely unhelpful post, you didn't even take any time to see if the OP actually did have any merit or not.

In future, maybe you could just not post in a thread you disagree with instead of wasting someone's scroll space.

As a teacher for the last 15 years, 3s all the way up to 5th graders, I can say without a doubt that Geocaching is good in a multitude of ways. One it helps with large motor skills I.E. walking, climbing, hiking you name it. Two it helps in fine motor skills I.E. Opening and manipulating a geocache once found. Three it helps in abstract thinking and reasoning I.E. What are the clues to finding the cache, where would be a good spot to look for a cache given the terrain/surroundings. Really having spent many a night dreaming up and writing out lesson plans for my classes over the years Geocaching is a ready made lesson plan that you could spend a whole school year doing. Not only does it help your child in all the ways I stated before, but also it enforces the idea of not spending days on end sitting inside in front of a TV or gaming system. It also teaches them about new technology, use of that new technology. All that I stated before pales in comparison to the fact that it connects them in a very visceral way to a world that is much larger than the small world of their family, and school mates. It shows them in a very real way that the world is a very small place. By that I mean that in all my years teaching I worked with inner city kids. Kids that have never even been outside their own neighborhoods. I spent a huge chunk of my time arranging field trips to get them out of the city, take them places their parents would never have even thought to take them. Took the time to show them what all was out there past the asphalt, and glass. Geocaching is a great way to show children that.

These are just some things that you might bring up with your lawyer, and your Ex. She sounds like she is out for blood. I have had many friends that have been through this sort of thing. All I can say is keep your head cool. Nothing will make you dumber than getting mad. Anger serve only to lower your IQ, and make you do something dumb. Stay calm, talk to a few of the children's teachers and have them write a letter to the court. Have a few fellow cachers that you know write about their own experiences with their own children. These letter do not seem like they will do much, but they can make a huge difference to a judge that will read them. Remember that the judge is hearing both sides and might not have a clue what our weird little sport is all about. Inform him/her about it, and it might just be that one grain of rice that tips the scale in your favor. Again above all remain calm, and clear headed. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth...then do it again until you can think clear. Good luck and if you would like PM me and I will gladly be a sounding bored for you.

Take care, and again good luck!

Wind

The latest Groundspeak newsletter has a nice feature article about the use of geocaching in education.

I was trying to find it on the Groundspeak site but so far I haven't had any luck. I also took a look at the Groundspeak facebook page to see if it was there and noticed that 30,842 people have posted "Likes". I also discovered that our first au pair for our son was one of them (I wasn't geocache at the time she lived with us) so she's apparently geocaching on her own. In any case, the Facebook page led me to the geocachng blog (Latitude 47) which also has some really good articles about the benefits of geocaching for children. Read the latest article called "A GIFT FOR CONNOR" as an example of the type of people that the OPs child may be exposed to through geocaching.

I can't imagine the tough time you are having at the moment - my heart goes out to you, my thoughts are also with the poor kids stuck in the middle.

Personally, my husband and I, along with our daughter love geocaching. It has turned our lives around. I have recently lost my job sowe live on very limited funds. But everytime my hubby has time off work, we pack up some sarnies and flask, jump in the car and off we go for the day. We have a great day for next to nothing. Our relationships with each other have grown beyond recognition. No longer do we sit in front of the television with square eyes. Yesterday we went out at 09.00 and didn't get home until gone 19.00. Dinner has been cooking in the slow cooker all day whilst we were out. When we got home we dished up the food and spent time talking about our day. My daughters best bit was sitting eating her sandwiches on the crag side and looking out over the fantastic views of the peak district. No amount of money can buy these memories.

My daughter writes a diary and draws pictures on her days out geocaching. She puts in how much she has enjoyed her time with her family and the great things she has seen along the way - she teams this with her bird watching diary. Maybe your kids could do that - then you have something tangible to show the judge when your ex says they don't enjoy it.

Good luck with everything.xx

The latest Groundspeak newsletter has a nice feature article about the use of geocaching in education.

I was trying to find it on the Groundspeak site but so far I haven't had any luck. I also took a look at the Groundspeak facebook page to see if it was there and noticed that 30,842 people have posted "Likes". I also discovered that our first au pair for our son was one of them (I wasn't geocache at the time she lived with us) so she's apparently geocaching on her own. In any case, the Facebook page led me to the geocachng blog (Latitude 47) which also has some really good articles about the benefits of geocaching for children. Read the latest article called "A GIFT FOR CONNOR" as an example of the type of people that the OPs child may be exposed to through geocaching.

Here's are some links to the items mentioned in NYPC's post.

Geocaching class.

A Gift for Connor

Geocacher University This is the website created years ago by cybret ( a good geo-pal and a great dad) to offer up some resources to the community.

Here's a link to the press clippings section of the website. I'll bet there is something recent from a Canadian source you can share with the lawyers.

Here's an entire forum section dedicated to GPS in Education. I suspect you can also find some helpful info in there.

You ex is merely trying to inflict more damage. Her lawyer is merely doing her bidding and his job. Give your lawyer some good rebuttal info and let him do his.

Edited by wimseyguy

Turns out he was giving a little bit of contextual background, for what this thread was really about:

In your rush to make this completely unhelpful post, you didn't even take any time to see if the OP actually did have any merit or not.

In future, maybe you could just not post in a thread you disagree with instead of wasting someone's scroll space.

I just love personal attacks :D

+1. The divorce info was to give some background, and if you think that TABJuggler's post was a personal attack, I don't really see it as such.

Edited by nymphnsatyr