Wanna throw in your input?

Team D.A.M.A.

I just went through a custody battle and to make a long story short, my ex was allowed to move to Ontario with my kids.

The last week I was given with them, we went out "treasure hunting" several times and the kids as always, had a RIOT and asked me to go "treasure hunting" every morning.

I just received a copy of an email from my ex's lawyer to mine stating that my children did not enjoy themselves and that I am "extremely immature for doing this kind of thing...especially at my age".

I notified my lawyer that it's a GREAT past time to get out in the fresh air and walking around, and that you have to think to figure out where the cache is. He replied by saying that "no judge would approve of geocaching, they would rather you went for a walk or read them a book, enhance their minds".

Anyone care to put some input in here that I can forward on? If you message regarding this topic, please include your name, province/state, ages of people you have geocached with, and an experience. Any ther comments would be welcomed as well.

Interesting topic. I will be back soon with a longer post. My girls love geocaching, one a lot more than the other but still.

By the way is geocaching not a nature walk in disguise?

Uh, unless you are a micro hunter. Micro hunters should not be allowed to play with children. Micro hiders, however, should be locked up in a very special geocache, like a D6,T6 but that is for another topic.

Well that's unexpected.

It sounds like most of the people involved here don't actually know what geocaching is about. Geocaching encourages people to get outside and explore the world they live in. Many geocaches are educational (earthcaches for example are focused on education, and are managed by the Geological Society of America), so maybe you'll learn something along the way. It teaches children about responsibility (trading fairly, respecting others property and the environment) and increases their perception/awareness. Caching is non-competitive and family friendly, as the guidelines prohibit anything that would be inappropriate to children. Plus there's a sense of accomplishment when a cache is found - any time I've seen a child locate a geocache they've been ecstatic about it. Anything that gets a kid to put down their video game, go outside, and get some exercise can't be a bad thing can it?

Most of the geocachers in my area are empty-nesters, or families with young children. At 25, I'm the youngest (independent) geocacher I know. Eight of my fifteen geocaches are educational; varying on subjects from history, geology, metallurgy, and ecology. Ten of my caches involve exercising through walking, hiking, cycling and swimming.

I would print out a couple of cache pages for the judge (if it comes down to it). Make note of how much exercise is involved with each, and highlight anything you think is beneficial. A judge may think it silly, but if you can pull out a paper that shows you walked 2km with your children to learn about the local history or geology they're going to give it some merit.

He replied by saying that "no judge would approve of geocaching, they would rather you went for a walk or read them a book, enhance their minds".

It is like the opposition party in govt. If you were doing what the lawyer suggested, he would come back with "you should be getting the kids out in nature, it is better for their health."

You will never make the lawyer happy. The only thing that makes him happy is making you mad. Oh ya, and cashing the cheque.

Anyone care to put some input in here that I can forward on? If you message regarding this topic, please include your name, province/state, ages of people you have geocached with, and an experience. Any ther comments would be welcomed as well.

My name, location and ages of kids. Not a good idea to post that info.

I just came back from a two week vacation in British Columbia and Alberta. Visiting geocaches along the way including traditional, virtual, and earth caches took us to some very interesting places that the kids loved it. They even learned along the way. It was fun to remind ourselves that we were on summer vacation and we were learning again, and again.

One of the reasons we have children is so that we can enjoy life through their eyes, and it isn't very hard to tell if they are having fun or not. People without children or chose not to be around them will unfortunately never get to enjoy this wonderful part of them. There are times when mine are having a great time, and then there are times when they are not. It is like that with anything kids do.

Unless you are putting them in danger, i don't think any court in the world would prevent any parent from having fun with their children. It's better they are out hunting geocaches with you than being ignored and left for the TV to take care of them, or worse, wondering around the streets getting into trouble.

My advice is if they are having fun and ask you to take them out geocaching, then take them.

It looks like someone does not getting the facts straight.

Like most cases like this , there will always be a degree of animosity between parties and until both parties meet in court will the proper answers be told

If the children do like going on a treasure hunt then get them out often,,start them with their own account so they can "BRAG' about all the finds they discovered, travel bugs traded and events they went to.

This will give some good evidence of their enjoyment.

Take lots of pictures, have a great time,