off-road/green laning/land rover/geocaching

My fiance will only go geocaching if he can incorporate his land rover. Does anyone know of any good caches (we're cheshire based but prepared to travel!) that could combine both these hobbies? Obviously mean official green lanes or off-road tracks - not just tearing through fields and hedges at random.

He can't be the only one who wants to go caching in a 4x4...

Any help appreciated.

Ah, 4x4 caching. Always an uncontroversial topic! Good luck with it :drama:

"Skateboarding

Graffiti

Parkour

Freecycling

Bookcrossing

Guerilla Gardening

Freeganism

Squatting

Base Jumping

+ many more I can't think of right now..."

Green Laneing is quite the opposite it is becoming a Subversive Activity :anibad: . Similar to hunting, people become scared to put their head up and say that's me :rolleyes: . Not just because many people (often poorly advised) take a very anti stance without really knowing all the facts.

Having only seen the publicity that comes after a track/ field has been destroyed by idiots. Few see the good that is done, keeping tracks and lanes open for ALL to use...

Well that's my comment over, yup if you find some I'm up for it :unsure:

series down in Cornwall called 4x4xfoot, all on green lanes/bye ways so the choice is yours.

Must admit I have a 4x4 but still always park up and walk to them, more fun.

Be a boring old world if we were all the same but I presume that 4x4 cachers will rapidly join the ranks of micro lovers.

GC1Q4HV - Let's Off Road

8 caches + a bonus in the Stroud/Cirencester area. Not done them yet but hope to soon.

We nearly always cache in our Discovery, especially when further away from home or on hols in Scotland etc. We enjoy the comfort and being able to see over hedges, it is handy for some gentle greenlaning if necessary though. :):)

Our geobus is a 4x4 and we take it off road a bit - there are some green lanes near us, we nearly always taking it caching, but we do park up and walk - simply because we love the walk. Caching and 4 x 4 ing sounds a bit too much like drive bys and although we do these - we prefer the long 10 mile trecks across gorgeous countrysides. Have a good time if you find any though x

We have a discovery and its great for the kids and all the stuff when we go out. I also love to greenlane (I am a member of CRAG and GLASS organisations and follow the Treadlightly code of conduct).

I like the views from the vehicle when we cache and the feeling of safety on narrow roads where some of these caches are found.

I have considered placing some caches for greenlanes but I am not sure what the take up would be (We are in shropshire). I dont want to alienate people who dont own a 4x4.

We have a discovery and its great for the kids and all the stuff when we go out. I also love to greenlane (I am a member of CRAG and GLASS organisations and follow the Treadlightly code of conduct).

I like the views from the vehicle when we cache and the feeling of safety on narrow roads where some of these caches are found.

I have considered placing some caches for greenlanes but I am not sure what the take up would be (We are in shropshire). I dont want to alienate people who dont own a 4x4.

... You are allowed to walk on a greenlane.

If you don't drive/don't want to drive to the cache -walk.

Or use a bicycle or horse. :D

I combine the two hobbies, they go well together.. I have placed a few caches on some byways/lanes/white roads near me. Some are easy (to drive) others a bit more technical.

Regards

Sub

P.S. Don't let your fiancée go laning on his own. His Land Rover will overheat/break/rust away/get stuck leaving him stranded. He should always go out with a support team consisting of at least one Japanese motor...

:D

Hi,

We are the owners of the 4X4XFOOT series in Cornwall,

We are also members of two local off roading groups.

We thought long and hard about the implications of combining the two 'hobbies'.

I have considered placing some caches for greenlanes but I am not sure what the take up would be (We are in shropshire). I dont want to alienate people who dont own a 4x4

This was our main concern also, so we started with three caches on connecting byways as a trial. They proved popular with both walkers and drivers and we were asked for more.

We now have twelve 4X4 caches to date.

Almost all the caches can be driven by a 'normal' motor vehicle and we do set these out with the family Ford Focus so we wont be getting anyone stuck!

Some 4X4 drivers tell us they are a little too tame, well yes, they are. but we want everyone to have a go.

4X4XFOOT no.13 is in the pipeline, although, this will be a SERIOUS 'off road vehicle only' cache (of course this does not exclude walkers or cyclists). it is proving to be difficult for a couple of reasons. one of them being the worry of sending an inexperienced driver into difficulty. :blink:

We have bounced the idea around with other cachers and they say yes, but..........................what do you think???

Cheers GB99

Edited by granite basher 99

If you posess a 4x4 or mountainbike or motocrossbike and you're in France try our newest cache series for some real off-roading in any class you feel fit.

(it's easy to skip an off-road stage if you feel uncertain to do the heaviest parts) :

Off-Road Detective

Enjoy the beauty of the green heart of France and find a comfortable picknick or overnight stay at the campsite of Masseret (exit 43 of highway A20 Paris-Toulouse). You can even rent a hut or a mobile home.

No, we have no commercial interest with this reply on the forum, only wish to share our lovely habitat with those who can really appreciate it like fellow geocachers.

Have fun, have a cache :-)

Team Lamoer