What constitutes a travel bug?

custer

I know there is the official dog tag looking thing, and I just bought a pack of them and plan to use the official kind myself. I did notice, however, that "moun10bike"s coins are in the regular index as travel bugs.

Since travel bugs are apparently tracked by serial number, someone would have to assign a serial number to a bug issued by anyone other than geocaching.com itself.

Question I have then is - what other than the official dogtag is in the system as a legitimate indexed bug? Obviously moun10bike's coins are. How about the texas or canadian coins? Anything else? Just curious.

In theory, the Travel Bug is nothing more than the official dog tag. The owners of the bugs assign that tag to whatever they want to go out into the real world. There are even bugs out there that are nothing more than the dog tags themselves (although they don't do very well). What you attach to the Travel Bug, and the story you put behind it, are completely up to you as the bug's owner.

For some generalities and ideas, check out this thread.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers