found a coin... but it's different to what it's supposed to be...

NKT_Rat

Hi there. I have a small problem. I'm new to geocaching and i was unable to resist when my phone showed a cache with a geocoin in it. I just had to go and get it. So I visited the site, found the cache and got the coin... When I came home i checked the trackable number and was shocked. That coin was not supposed to be in this cache. The logged coin was another one...

now what to do?

I'm not sure. I could of course grab the coin from the cache where it should be but I never visited the site (and since my vacation is over now i'm not sure when will be able to go there.

and what about the coin which is supposed to be in the cache I logged? it's not there and I don't know where it is...

Who can give me an advice?

Hi there. I have a small problem. I'm new to geocaching and i was unable to resist when my phone showed a cache with a geocoin in it. I just had to go and get it. So I visited the site, found the cache and got the coin... When I came home i checked the trackable number and was shocked. That coin was not supposed to be in this cache. The logged coin was another one...

now what to do?

I'm not sure. I could of course grab the coin from the cache where it should be but I never visited the site (and since my vacation is over now i'm not sure when will be able to go there.

and what about the coin which is supposed to be in the cache I logged? it's not there and I don't know where it is...

Who can give me an advice?

Go to the Geocion home page enter the tracking ID of the coin. When you get to the coins home page. create a log using discovered it and you can put in a note where you found it. Then it will be added to your inventory so you can drop it off in a new cache. You can also see who last had the coin before you and send them a message. They probally dropped off a few coins that day and accidental get the coins and caches mixed up. This way they can try and correct there mistake.

Hope this helps or atleast gets you started in the right direction.

Go to the Geocion home page enter the tracking ID of the coin. When you get to the coins home page. create a log using discovered it and you can put in a note where you found it. Then it will be added to your inventory so you can drop it off in a new cache. You can also see who last had the coin before you and send them a message. They probally dropped off a few coins that day and accidental get the coins and caches mixed up. This way they can try and correct there mistake.

Hope this helps or atleast gets you started in the right direction.

"discover" logs are only for times when you don't take the trackable

in this case it needs to be grabbed (which he did correctly), dropped off in the cache he found it and retrieve it so it shows is in his hands

Welcome to the topsy turvy world of misplaced and mislogged geocoins. Finding a cache that is SUPPOSED to have a geocoin is much more common than it used to be but the coin is often NOT THERE. The reasons are various and sundry that are not be catalogued here. :anibad: But because the tracking system is so confusing for the avalanche of new folks coming to the game it is becoming more common to find coins in caches where there aren't supposed to be any. You lucked out and go one of each. :unsure:

What to do?

1. You've "grabbed" the coin in the cache so it is now in your Inventory so you can easily drop if off in another cache so it can continue its journeys. And you're reading the FAQ instructions..... excellent!!! How to log a geocoin is also high on the list of recommended reading. :rolleyes:

2. About the coin that was supposed to be there.....? You could write a note to the coin's travel page noting that the coin is NOT in the cache it's tracked into.... the coin owner will get the note by email and can decide what to do from there (whether to mark it MISSING or not).

Edit to add:

Log types....

- discoveries is for those times you leave the coin in the cache but want the icon for your Profile.

- Grab is when the coin is NOT in the place it is logged into, such as grab it from someone or somewhere else.... coin is then tracked to your account (in your hands, your inventory).

- Retrieve is when the coin is actually where it is supposed to be and you pick it up to move it along.... coin is then tracked to your account (in your hands, your inventory).

- Note does not require that you have the tracking number.... anyone can write a note to a coin/tb's travel or tracking page.

Never post a tracking number (you didn't but I'm just sayin since it happens a lot) to a public forum or in a log. Others than those who actually handled the coin can then mess with the tracking of that coin/bug resulting in that tracking number getting frozen.... no appeal, no thaw.

Edited by Droo

t4e mentioned a cool way:

I grabbed the coin and dropped it while logging the cache. So the coin has his mark that it was there. Then I retrieved it from the cache, so it is in my inventory and I can drop it of when visiting the next cache. I also sent an email to the owner of the coin so he can see, what happened.

I also wrote a mail to the guys who visited the cache last. Maybe they confused the coins because the took one out and put one in. Maybe the still have the one the logged to have put in the cache.