Google map interrupts mousewheel scrolling

Dan

Does the google map have to hijack my cursor for it's evil zooming purposes?

Suddenly changing the wheel's funtion on mouseover is not a normal web page navigation behavior.

All I want to do is mousewheel scroll to the bottom of the cache page.

I don't think you really mean the Google maps in general, but the map displayed on the cache page. Yup. I agree with you, and have already mentioned it. I really don't know what can be done about it, though.

I see this behavior on both gc google maps and non gc google maps, are you seeing something different?

I personally like the behavior. If I want to scroll instead of zoom, I simply move my pointer to the left or right of the map.

Thanks for the pointer that it is a Google Maps thing. Apparently, people like me have been annoyed since 2007. Other forums and blogs also show a similar 2:1 annoyance vs. nifty feature opinion ratio. The newer version (3) of the Google Maps API turns it off by default.

I hope that this thread doesn't collapse into the silly flame wars I've seen on the subject elsewhere.

Apparently, people like me have been annoyed since 2007. Other forums and blogs also show a similar 2:1 annoyance vs. nifty feature opinion ratio. The newer version (3) of the Google Maps API turns it off by default.

Add me to the annoyed camp as well. I must subconciously position my mouse over to the right edge when I start scrolling because I seem to hit it everytime. I'd prefer that it be turned off by default if possible. Keeping it turned on for the large map (where page scrolling is less necessary) is fine by me, and might be a good compromise to keep both the annoyed camp and nifty feature camp happy.

After a couple of slips, I managed to train myself to move the cursor around the map when scrolling.

I have a self-help video and companion book coming out in a couple of weeks so you can train yourself to do it too!

Silly, yes, but not a flame...

LOL, you'd think after the first 20 or 30 times I'd be able to train myself to do the same thing. I guess I'll need to order your book.

YES!!! YES!YES!YES!YES!YES! YESSSSSS! :)

I wouldn't want or expect the checkbox, though. I'd simply want the scrollwheel disabled as a zooming device when the map is displayed on the cache page. Enable it only when on a full page map. I think that is a perfect solution. Hope the programmers will take it to heart. Have you already suggested this on the Feedback site?

YES!!! YES!YES!YES!YES!YES! YESSSSSS! :)

I wouldn't want or expect the checkbox, though. I'd simply want the scrollwheel disabled as a zooming device when the map is displayed on the cache page. Enable it only when on a full page map. I think that is a perfect solution. Hope the programmers will take it to heart. Have you already suggested this on the Feedback site?

Was it good for him? :):huh::)

I wouldn't want or expect the checkbox, though. I'd simply want the scrollwheel disabled as a zooming device when the map is displayed on the cache page. Enable it only when on a full page map. I think that is a perfect solution.

How would that be the perfect solution when there are people who like that functionality?

The checkbox idea would be closer to the perfect idea as it gives people choice.

I wouldn't want or expect the checkbox, though. I'd simply want the scrollwheel disabled as a zooming device when the map is displayed on the cache page. Enable it only when on a full page map. I think that is a perfect solution.

How would that be the perfect solution when there are people who like that functionality?

The checkbox idea would be closer to the perfect idea as it gives people choice.

I don't care about those nitwits!! :D:DB)

Seriously... they can still zoom by clicking the +/-. I wouldn't be opposed to a checkbox, I just meant that I personally wouldn't feel it necessary.

I don't care about those nitwits!! :D:DB)

Seriously... they can still zoom by clicking the +/-. I wouldn't be opposed to a checkbox, I just meant that I personally wouldn't feel it necessary.

agree.. the scrolling function is good, but the zoom is better controlled by the slide bar on the left. With my MAC I often end up zooming when I want to be scrolling. Only had the new mouse for a week...Maybe I'll get used to it in time.

Seriously... they can still zoom by clicking the +/-.

And you can avoid zooming by keeping your mouse pointer in a slightly different spot on the screen when page scrolling. See how that argument works both ways?

And I am being serious. Having to constantly move the mouse over to the +/- and back is way more of a pain than just getting in the habit of keeping your mouse pointer in a different spot. With the browser maximized, just push it against the right side of the screen and problem solved.

How about setting it up like a browser? You use the wheel to scroll up and down and when you want the map to zoom in or out you press the "CRTL" key and then spin the wheel.

1. Because now you have to use two hands to navigate the map

2. All of the other good maps online use wheel zooming

3. The CTRL key method is not intuitive. Now you have to put a notice saying hold CRTL to zoom. Why not a checkbox then?