Blackberry GPS stopped working

I have a BB Curve 8330m. When I first got it the gps didn't work. I was told to download the trial version of Garmin Mobile (version 4-something) and it would jumpstart the gps. Worked great and I've been enjoying Cacheberry and doing great. A couple of weeks ago my gps suddenly stopped working. Mrs. Okie's works just fine since she hardly ever uses it.

Anyway, I was thinking that I could just download the Garmin Mobile trial again and it might jumpstart the gps as well. It seems that Garmin has upgraded the mobile program to 5.something and it doesn't do the trick. I have searched for the 4.something version but cannot find it anywhere.

I guess this puts me back to my Etrex which is several years old and not exactly working best. So....any ideas as to finding the version 4. something? Perhaps another idea as to jumpstarting the gps again? Finally, I guess I should save my pennies and get a new GPS. Thing is that I was really enjoying having Cacheberry and the gps on my phone for easy quick caching.

Any input is appreciated! :)

I'm assuming you've done a full reboot.

Several times. I've downloaded the 5.XX version and it didn't work so I deleted it. The phone automatically reboots whenever you delete something. The only thing I can think of is to find the 4.XX version since it worked the first time.

Thanks for any help or ideas anyone can offer.

:)

I found that the GPS in my 8330m would not get a lock if the BB was being charged, and it was quite slow to get a lock anyway. Not the best, and in the end, I upgraded to a 9650. I suspect the 8330m just doesn't have enough RAM to work well.

Edited by KD5XB

I also geocache with my BB Curve 8330. I downloaded the Geocache Navigator 2.0.7 from my BlackBerry App World. It works GREAT! The only trouble I have is sometimes when I log in my GPS won't start up so I log into my "Sprint Navigation" & wait for the Navi to start up then go back into my Geocache Navigator & it starts up just fine. I do need to take my battery out every couple weeks because my BB gets locked up...but I've heard that's what BB's do every now & then. I hope this helps. :D

Is it a Corporate managed Blackberry? There is a policy to disable the GPS from being used.

Nope...well at least I don't think so. My cell service is through USCellular. They are the ones who suggested the GarminMobile 4.XXX trick. They do not have any policy or code for disabling the gps. I think it's Sprint who does that.

:(

I also geocache with my BB Curve 8330. I downloaded the Geocache Navigator 2.0.7 from my BlackBerry App World. It works GREAT! The only trouble I have is sometimes when I log in my GPS won't start up so I log into my "Sprint Navigation" & wait for the Navi to start up then go back into my Geocache Navigator & it starts up just fine. I do need to take my battery out every couple weeks because my BB gets locked up...but I've heard that's what BB's do every now & then. I hope this helps. :(

Perhaps I will try the Navigtoar 2.0.7 if they have a trial version. I use(d) Cacheberry and it worked wonderfully until a few weeks ago. I had to start the gps through the Blackberry maps, then go the cacheberry and everything went smoothly from there. Just a few weeks ago, my Blackberry maps gps didn't find the sats. I loaded the latest version of GarminMobile 5.XX and it didn't do anything.

I am starting to think that the GarminMobile trial version expiring might have had something to do with it, except that it expired several months before the gps quit. I'll check into the Navigator program and see if it does anything for the gps portion. Thanks!