Yet another "what GPS should I get" question

I'm a very casual geocacher. I tend to do 2 - 4 caches in any given trip, maybe a couple of times a month, and then have a dry spell of several months. I have an eTrex Legend that's about 4 or 5 years old and it suits me just fine, except for having to enter co-ordinates manually, which is driving me kind of insane.

So I'm thinking of ways I could upgrade my geocaching experience in the most economical fashion. Downloading caches directly to my GPSr would be great. Paperless caching would be... nice, but isn't required. Being able to use the thing as a nav system in my car would be awesome, but again is not required, since I could probably just go buy a Nuvi instead for that. (Of course then I have to enter the co-ordinates TWICE.)

Would you suggest I...

-buy a serial-to-USB cable so my ancient GPSr will talk to my slightly less obsolete computer, and then get a Premium Membership?

-pick up a shiny new Vista HCx or 60CSx (or something in that price range)?

-pony up the $$$$ for something like an Oregon that does everything but clean my kitchen sink?

Since I don't do a ton of geocaching, and my Legend still works, even the Vista seems expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Aerogirl

I'm a very casual geocacher. I tend to do 2 - 4 caches in any given trip, maybe a couple of times a month, and then have a dry spell of several months. I have an eTrex Legend that's about 4 or 5 years old and it suits me just fine, except for having to enter co-ordinates manually, which is driving me kind of insane.

So I'm thinking of ways I could upgrade my geocaching experience in the most economical fashion. Downloading caches directly to my GPSr would be great. Paperless caching would be... nice, but isn't required. Being able to use the thing as a nav system in my car would be awesome, but again is not required, since I could probably just go buy a Nuvi instead for that. (Of course then I have to enter the co-ordinates TWICE.)

Would you suggest I...

-buy a serial-to-USB cable so my ancient GPSr will talk to my slightly less obsolete computer, and then get a Premium Membership?

-pick up a shiny new Vista HCx or 60CSx (or something in that price range)?

-pony up the $$$$ for something like an Oregon that does everything but clean my kitchen sink?

Since I don't do a ton of geocaching, and my Legend still works, even the Vista seems expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Aerogirl

what is your budget?

As low as possible? I could probably get away with $250CDN, maybe even $300 for something awesome, but higher than that would be a real stretch.

For someone who's done barely 70 caches in 4 years, I don't want to be getting something gadget-laden just because it's the newest thing.

what is your budget?

As low as possible? I could probably get away with $250CDN, maybe even $300 for something awesome, but higher than that would be a real stretch.

For someone who's done barely 70 caches in 4 years, I don't want to be getting something gadget-laden just because it's the newest thing.

well, last month (i know you don't have a time machine), gpscentral.ca (canadian site) had the oregon 450 for $319+tax after the rebate.. but that still over your budget, but might have been worth it for a PAPERLESS unit.

walmarts up here in canada, at least winnipeg, still have the 60Cx for $199

Hi Aerogirl;

www.gpscentral.ca lists the Garmin 60cx for $249.95 (not sure if it does paperless caching) and the Lowrance Out and Back for $245.95 (it does paperless caching). Both will require the purchase of mapping software if you want more detail than a base map.

But then again for the amount of geocaching you're doing you might be better to stick with what you have until it wears out or breaks.

Lin

At the very least I would suggest a delorme pn-20. Paperless caching and driving maps included though it is a little slow in updating directions. There are some reasonable deals on ebay. Better yet would be a cheaper oregon or dakota. Look for good deals on older models. There are lots of free maps for them. Just ask me for advice on that.

what is your budget?

If you get yourself a modern unit that holds thousands of caches and is paperless, perhaps you'll find yourself caching more often. Such a unit allows for easy spur of the moment caching. Arrive for an appointment early? See what caches are in the area. Bored at a party? Step out and find a nearby cache.

And with the right software you can use the unit for vehicle navigation.

Moderator note Duplicate topics merged. Please don't start multiple threads on the same topic. It makes constructive replies difficult.

Sorry for the double post. My browser froze partway through posting and I hit "refresh."

Anyway thanks for the replies so far. When I think about cost, it's not so much an absolute dollar value as what is going to be the greatest value for my money. Maybe I should have phrased the question differently - I'd like to know about the capabilities of the various units in that $250-$300 price range. Are they really so much better than my Legend?

The more I read these forums, the more I desire a fancy GPSr. There's a place right in town that has the Oregon 450 for $340. I might cave in...

Get the Oregon 450. It is easy to use, paperless, accurate (especially with the new software upgrade) and touch screen. I have one and love it.

OldA'sFan