Dipping someone elses coin

the family bu

I apologise if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find it. What are peoples thoughts about keeping somone elses coin and 'dipping' it in every cache you visit during the time you have it. Do people think it is ok or should it be left in a cache for someone else to appreciate and move on. I look forward to your opinions - i'm not sure what mine is lmao :)

Unless the person is keeping the coin for an especially long time, I see nothing wrong with the dipping. Maybe he's on vacation and carrying your coin around, visiting different caches. Your coin is traveling, which is what it's supposed to do, right?

One of my TBs was carried around by a fellow from Maine, and the TB was dipped into a number of caches in beautiful locations. I was thrilled that the person took my TB all over.

Maybe look at the person's profile page to see the number of TBs handled, and whether he owns TBs himself. That will give you an idea whether the person probably knows the principals of TBs or not. Chances are he knows the coin belongs to someone and he fully intends to eventually drop it off. In the meantime, enjoy your coin's travels.

Edited by steve p

Unless the person is keeping the coin for an especially long time, I see nothing wrong with the dipping. Maybe he's on vacation and carrying your coin around, visiting different caches. Your coin is traveling, which is what it's supposed to do, right?

One of my TBs was carried around by a fellow from Maine, and the TB was dipped into a number of caches in beautiful locations. I was thrilled that the person took my TB all over.

Maybe look at the person's profile page to see the number of TBs handled, and whether he owns TBs himself. That will give you an idea whether the person probably knows the principals of TBs or not. Chances are he knows the coin belongs to someone and he fully intends to eventually drop it off. In the meantime, enjoy your coin's travels.

Thank you for your reply - i'm not complaining about my coin being dipped I was just curious on peoples thoughts.

If a traveler has actually visited the cache it should get credit for having been there, however that is usually only a couple three caches before being dropped. Logging it through twenty caches without really telling any stories or posting any pictures would be fairly annoying and pointless.

Try to share something of the adventure but dipping for dipping's sake can be overdone.

I suspect with the new 'visit' option this is going to become more of an issue.

Edited by BlueDeuce

If a traveler has actually visited the cache it should get credit for having been there, however that is usually only a couple three caches before being dropped. Logging it through twenty caches without really telling any stories or posting any pictures would be fairly annoying and pointless.

Try to share something of the adventure but dipping for dipping's sake can be overdone.

I suspect with the new 'visit' option this is going to become more of an issue.

I share the same opinion as BlueDeuce and I wrote something to the effect of that on the Feedback site. Other than the tons of email I'd be getting about every single dip, I come from the train of thought that I wouldn't mind my coin being dipped but hopefully the cache that it's being dipped in is a scenic spot, a historical site, something with a story. I'd rather not have it dipped in a bunch of LPC's.

Or if the cacher travels to another state for instance, maybe dip it into caches that are spread far apart, every hundred of miles or so.

But overall, I'd hope that the cacher doesn't hold onto it for too long, just so he/she can dip it.

I share the same opinion as BlueDeuce and I wrote something to the effect of that on the Feedback site. Other than the tons of email I'd be getting about every single dip, I come from the train of thought that I wouldn't mind my coin being dipped but hopefully the cache that it's being dipped in is a scenic spot, a historical site, something with a story. I'd rather not have it dipped in a bunch of LPC's.

Or if the cacher travels to another state for instance, maybe dip it into caches that are spread far apart, every hundred of miles or so.

But overall, I'd hope that the cacher doesn't hold onto it for too long, just so he/she can dip it.

Agreed as well. I set mine free to let them travel and to let people see them. I've had people hold coins for months and log them into every cache they visit which was a bit annoying. I don't mind an occasional dip, but more than just a couple isn't my cup of tea.

It will be interesting to see how this increases, if it does, with the new visit option.

If I don't feel that I've found a suitable cache to drop a bug, I'll dip it in something just to keep it active/moving.

1. seems there are more and more micro/nano caches...can't drop most bugs there

2. a lot of caches I find are wet and need maintenance (welcome to sunny Florida)...I won't drop a bug there

3. caches that are in high-muggle areas...won't drop a bug there for fear it will go missing

4. puzzle/multi caches...I prefere not to drop a bug there unless that is the bug's goal...why?...because they don't get visited as often as traditional caches where the bug is more likely to get picked up sooner

I also dip certain bugs in a nearby virtual cache. Any bug I find that is a matchbox car, or racing related, I'll take to Daytona International Speedway (just a mile from work and a few miles from home) to visit The Man In Black. I take a photo with 'Dale' and the Daytona USA sign to show where it has been.

I've set three coins free at my last event.

Two were just regularly placed into the next cache. One my friend took with him, dropped it into a TB hotel close to his home, took it out a few days later, as he left that area again.

With the new visit function, he dipped all trackables into all caches he found and I'm sure enough not complaining, that traveller has already clocked up 1500km...

I'm considering doing the same with those TBs and coins from others I have in my caching bag.

Often caches are too small to leave the TB there, but I think it is great, that they are dipped, as they most surely were there, albeit in a caching bag of some cacher...

Agreed as well. I set mine free to let them travel and to let people see them. I've had people hold coins for months and log them into every cache they visit which was a bit annoying. I don't mind an occasional dip, but more than just a couple isn't my cup of tea.

It will be interesting to see how this increases, if it does, with the new visit option.

That said, here's the thing - Either you can rely on a dedicated cacher who is going to show your coin/bug a good time, or you can give some instructions as what you would like the finder to do and that they would want to do.

Don't expect historical, or scenic, or even a .10 mile jump if you didn't ask for it. I'll have much more sympathy if you did. Don't leave it to happenstance if you don't have to.

That said, here's the thing - Either you can rely on a dedicated cacher who is going to show your coin/bug a good time, or you can give some instructions as what you would like the finder to do and that they would want to do.

Don't expect historical, or scenic, or even a .10 mile jump if you didn't ask for it. I'll have much more sympathy if you did. Don't leave it to happenstance if you don't have to.

I totally agree. But here's the thing. All of my traveling coins have been drilled, cabled, and tagged with instructions on where I'd like them to travel, what they're mission is, etc. But all of them were released well over a year ago, well before the new dipping came about.

I could add a note to each coin page but I know from experience that everyone doesn't read the page, or the instruction tag. Each tag says to please not take the coin to events because they tend to get lost there. But my coins still keep going to events, and still keep getting lost at events.

So, if someone starts dipping my coin in every cache, so be it. Not sure if I should send them a note asking them to not do that because that could just irritate him/her to the point of getting my coin tossed.

I totally agree. But here's the thing. All of my traveling coins have been drilled, cabled, and tagged with instructions on where I'd like them to travel, what they're mission is, etc. But all of them were released well over a year ago, well before the new dipping came about.

Serious here. Don't expect the site to catch up to where you(we) would like it to be. Pull your coin out of circulation and start over. Contact the current holder and offer to pay for postage to send it back. If they don't want to, try the next finder.

It's your traveler to do with what you want. You could even send it back to the last person. Most people are not going to have a problem with your request.

take II

Sorry, got so far off-topic myself I forgot what we were talking about.

So, if someone starts dipping my coin in every cache, so be it. Not sure if I should send them a note asking them to not do that because that could just irritate him/her to the point of getting my coin tossed.

I don't release a traveler that I worry about being tossed.

However, asking someone to stop logging your bug through a whole bunch of caches should not be considered rude. (Of course you might have an argument about what is considered a whole bunch)

Edited to replace the term ...(ahem) with - a whole bunch.

A friendly request is not out of line.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Why does it irritate you, that your coin shows the "proper" travelling route?

Cause, when I had it in my caching bag while visiting all those caches I dipp it in, than technically it was really at all those places...

Is it too much to ask of you to press that little red cross at the emails to just delete the dipping messages?

I rather have my coins in someones bag than in an exposed cache, which could be muggled any minute.

So if this someone is dipping it into every cache they visit, cause now that is easy done with just two ticks while logging, than I'm more than happy about the miles those coins clock up.

take II

Sorry, got so far off-topic myself I forgot what we were talking about.

I don't release a traveler that I worry about being tossed.

However, asking someone to stop logging your bug through a whole bunch of caches should not be considered rude. (Of course you might have an argument about what is considered a whole bunch)

Edited to replace the term ...(ahem) with - a whole bunch.

A friendly request is not out of line.

I don't worry about my coins being tossed either. I've released over 400 of them and half of them are gone but no biggie.

Why does it irritate you, that your coin shows the "proper" travelling route?

Cause, when I had it in my caching bag while visiting all those caches I dipp it in, than technically it was really at all those places...

Is it too much to ask of you to press that little red cross at the emails to just delete the dipping messages?

I rather have my coins in someones bag than in an exposed cache, which could be muggled any minute.

So if this someone is dipping it into every cache they visit, cause now that is easy done with just two ticks while logging, than I'm more than happy about the miles those coins clock up.

Nowhere did I say it irritated me. And no, it's not too much to ask me to delete the dipping messages, because that's what I do anyway.

All I was saying was that if my coin is dipped, I hope it'd be dipped in a cool cache, scenic spot, etc. Obviously that won't happen all of the time and I'm fine with that.