TB is NOT in cache. How to remove it from cache web page?

Equinox 2002

I'm going to be travelling across the country soon and thought I'd pick up a few Travel Bugs that might be interested in making the trip.

Twice now I've gone to caches that supposedly contain a TB only to find that there is no TB to be found. Sometimes, of course, whoever took the bug hasn't yet logged that they have it. So I'm not talking about bugs that have been "missing" for onyl a few days. But in one case the logs show that the TB was placed in the cache 7 months ago! Clearly this bug is lost.

So: How do you get a TB flag removed from the cache's web page when the TB has clearly gone AWOL?

- Equinox 2002

The only way currently this can be done is by the bug owner (or someone with the code) grabbing it from the cache. The benefit is that if it shows up later, there would be no mileage accumulated.

From there, the bug can just sit in the owner's inventory with no damage being done. The only method anyone has for retiring a MIA bug is to put it in the Travel Bug Graveyard, but that puts miles on the bug, as that cache - even though non-existant - has a location.

But this is only for the bug's owner.

As the owner of a cache, I have long maintained that there needs to be a mechanism in which I (as the cache owner) can state "I have now verified physically that this travel bug is not in my cache, and I need to send it home." Then the owner can forcefully place it in the inventory of the bug owner. Again - no mileage accumulated. Of course, the bug should have been listed as in the cache for a minimal time frame (a month?).

But as the casual bystander cacher? You can do nothing.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching