EarthCaches

scout461

I was wondering if it is worth my time to go and see EarthCaches? I was hoping some one would tell me that.

Like everything else, some are and some aren't. In general, most of the ones I have visited were worth my time but I would not make a blanket statement since there are a wide range of earthcaches. Some have the "wow" factor that geological formations often inspire; others are a piece of cut granite moved to a park to house a plaque. My wife likes the former, but wonders why we visited the latter.

So if you are interested in geology and the earth, like to see spots that might offer something special, then it could very well be worth taking a chance. Look at an earthcache listing nearby your location, read if the description and logging requirements, look at the pictures that have been posted (if any) -- if something sparks your interest, you might enjoy it.

Edited by mulvaney

I think it's safe to assume that the people who frequent the Earthcaches section of the forums do think that Earthcaches are worthwhile. Whether or not you'll agree is not something we can tell you.

I've been to some great ones! And I've been to a few pretty sad ones. I think the glacial erratic (which wasn't really a glacial erratic) that had been moved a mile or so, and flipped upside down, with the coords 80 feet off... Umm... Somehow, that seemed a waste of my time. Oh, well. I have greatly enjoyed the vast majority, and usually learnt something. And that is why I keep vsiting EarthCaches!