COs not maintaining their caches

dfx

THank you for all the response since my original post. I did do the DNF. and I Never post a DNF unless I am almost positive that the cache has gone missing

Don't be so shy with the DNFs. DNF means "I came, I looked, I didn't find" - it doesn't mean "I'm 99% certain the cache is gone." DNFs provide valuable information to COs and other cachers.

I've posted DNFs without even stepping out of the car - just things like "Came by to take a look but there was construction going on nearby. Will have to return another day." This informs the CO that he might have to do maintenance soon (depending on the nature of the activity going on) and that other finders will need to exercise caution & visit during "off hours" to avoid what's going on there.

I have heard many cachers complain about the prevalence of poor-quality, or caches that need maintenance for months or years, or any number of other lameness issues that have plagued our sport as of late. Yet many of those same cachers are unwilling to use the NM, NA, or even DNF logs.

If you don't post a DNF when you couldn't find a cache, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.

If you don't post a NM when the cache needs maintenance, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.

If you don't post a NA when the cache is clearly abandoned, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.

Local cache quality is up to local cachers. Everyone has a responsibility to other cachers to report problems when they see them. If cachers are more willing to use DNF, NM, NA, the culture will change.

But you will be called a CacheCop, a busybody and lot's of other un-sharable epithets.

Do it anyway, someday someone will thank you.

On my original message. I DID contact the CO, and talked to him. He got back to me and said he would be happy to have me replace his Cache. :)

AZcachemeister' timestamp='1327103664' post='4951830']

I have heard many cachers complain about the prevalence of poor-quality, or caches that need maintenance for months or years, or any number of other lameness issues that have plagued our sport as of late. Yet many of those same cachers are unwilling to use the NM, NA, or even DNF logs.

If you don't post a DNF when you couldn't find a cache, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.

If you don't post a NM when the cache needs maintenance, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.

If you don't post a NA when the cache is clearly abandoned, YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.

Local cache quality is up to local cachers. Everyone has a responsibility to other cachers to report problems when they see them. If cachers are more willing to use DNF, NM, NA, the culture will change.

[/color]

But you will be called a CacheCop, a busybody and lot's of other un-sharable epithets.

That's their problem, not mine. I really don't care what people want to call me.

...I Never post a DNF unless I am almost positive that the cache has gone missing

Don't be so shy with the DNFs.

Agreed. A DNF should not be reserved for just those instances when you are pretty sure the cache is missing. A proper DNF is a wonderful thing, and should be submitted with pride, every single time you hunt for a cache and do not locate it. It represents your interaction with the cache, locking in a moment of that cache's history. It also serves to let future seekers know that a particular cache may not be a piece of cake, and if there are a few of them, they could serve as an enticement to get the owner out there checking on it.

DNFs, when properly applied, are a win-win.

If I really look for it and just can't find the silly thing, then I log a DNF. Maybe it's gone, maybe I'm just dumb :unsure: There's only been one so far that I clearly recall thinking "Yes, it's clearly gone" and logged a DNF stating that I thought it was gone. The rest have been more of "I looked super hard and am just too dumb". I look at DNF logs as either it's gone missing (like if there are a whole bunch in a rows and the CO hasn't checked in to state otherwise, or that it's harder to find it than it would seem :o

I might be to silly to find it, but there are a lot of other people to silly to find it, then maybe it's not there (and I'm not so silly after all)!

And why would I be called a geocop? I got premission from the hider to replace the geocache. It was HIS idea to replace it!

On my original message. I DID contact the CO, and talked to him. He got back to me and said he would be happy to have me replace his Cache. :)

AZcachemeister' timestamp='1327103664' post='4951830']

[/color]

The first time i look for a cache and don't find it, I mark it off to inexperience.. so I mark it as a DNF in my GPS but not on the page, and will go back to it another time and try to find it again. A couple of times i have found it that way.

...I Never post a DNF unless I am almost positive that the cache has gone missing

Agreed. A DNF should not be reserved for just those instances when you are pretty sure the cache is missing. A proper DNF is a wonderful thing, and should be submitted with pride, every single time you hunt for a cache and do not locate it. It represents your interaction with the cache, locking in a moment of that cache's history. It also serves to let future seekers know that a particular cache may not be a piece of cake, and if there are a few of them, they could serve as an enticement to get the owner out there checking on it.

The first time i look for a cache and don't find it, I mark it off to inexperience.. so I mark it as a DNF in my GPS but not on the page, and will go back to it another time and try to find it again. A couple of times i have found it that way.

Thanks for the comments. I never really thought about it that way. I was always worried too many DNFS would be bad for a cache hider, or that I wasn't doing a good enough job on my finding skills :) but it Does let the Cache hider know more of whats going on. I know of the caches I hide, if I see a couple DNF's I will go and check on it to be sure its still good :)

And why would I be called a geocop?

I think that was in reference to properly posting NAs.

For some reason, when you post a valid NA on a cache that truly does need to be archived, for whatever reason, this will cause some folks to twist up their knickers. As to why? I honestly don't know. If I ever reach a point where I am so apathetic about this game that I don't even care enough to fix my cache, or at the very least post something on my cache page letting others know I will fix it, I can't suddenly caring enough to get angry over an NA.

But folks do strange things sometimes... :unsure:

there was one DNF before us, from over a month ago, pretty much confirming that the cache definitely was missing.

Pretty much confiming nothing.

I have a hard one that gets those. i check it and its always still there[and i usually find a throwdown that people have been logging that isn't the cache]

5 dnfs in a row doesn't make a missing cache.

And why would I be called a geocop?

I think that was in reference to properly posting NAs.

For some reason, when you post a valid NA on a cache that truly does need to be archived, for whatever reason, this will cause some folks to twist up their knickers. As to why? I honestly don't know. If I ever reach a point where I am so apathetic about this game that I don't even care enough to fix my cache, or at the very least post something on my cache page letting others know I will fix it, I can't suddenly caring enough to get angry over an NA.

But folks do strange things sometimes... :unsure:

I'm prepared to be called a geocop. Submitted a NA today. The last log on the cache was a NM log from the CO stating the cache has been stolen. Not that he replaced it, just that it is unavailable. That was four months ago. He somehow left that note without logging into GS. His last logon to GS was 5 months ago.

Even with that, I'm sure someone will tell me I should mind my own business.

It's always a shame when a cache owner reacts like that, but you acted appropriately given the circumstances.

I was looking for a Cache the other day (One that has a very special meaning to my Wife and I) I just couldn't find it. I found out from a couple of "GeoFriends" that this Cache has been gone for at least a couple of months.

I marked it as Did Not Find a while later the Cache Owner just deleted my DNF report from the listing.

I since found from a coupe of friends that he has in the past, deleted other posters DNF's as well.

It is a shame, because this person always does some amazing research about the location of the hide, so I know he puts a lot of effort into his hides.

I wrote a very friendly message to the CO to tell him, I would be glad to replace it. He doesn't seem interested in repairing/replacing them.I'm still waiting for a replay. I really don't mind doing a repair. It kind of depends on how he replies. If he refuses, I will go ahead and replace it anyway. If he is upset about this or refuses to maintain... and keeps deleting all the DNFs. What should I do.

Move on, and quit talking like a spammer.

HUH?!? :blink: Apparently I wasn't the only one to be totally dumbfounded and baffled by that comment.

Edited by knowschad

Totally forgot about this thread. Everytime I see the title I have nightmares.

When I put NM on some caches and the CO got upset and archived all his caches and guess who got blamed? I didn't ask him to archive them just maintain them or just even check (after many DNFs)What good is finding a cache that is not there?

I didn't ask him to archive them just maintain them

I know the feeling. We have a local who honestly thinks he is doing the geocaching world a favor by carpet bombing huge geographic regions with poor quality P&Gs. Historically, his maintenance plan is non-existent. He will allow NMs to pile up, then our Reviewer comes through with a sweep, posting a note to the effect of, "Please fix this". He can't be bothered with silly things like maintenance, so 30 days from the posted note, the caches get archived. All the while he is spewing out more low quality P&Gs.

When you point out his maintenance faults, he threatens to archive all his hides.

Gotta love a drama queen.

Totally forgot about this thread. Everytime I see the title I have nightmares.

When I put NM on some caches and the CO got upset and archived all his caches and guess who got blamed? I didn't ask him to archive them just maintain them or just even check (after many DNFs)What good is finding a cache that is not there?

Same here. But it was a NA on a cache with numerous DNFs and NMs with no response from the CO. Minutes after posted the NA the CO left an angry geocide note and archived all of his caches. Left them out too (people are still logging them almost 2 years later). Threw me for a loop but hasn't changed my mind about posting NMs and NAs.

Here is what I'll say. I have a cacher in my area who is notorious for maintenance issues. I brought it to light via this forum,our local forum and some strategic nm and na logs. I got some heat from this cacher but they are now doing maintenance on their caches. If it bothers you enough and it is worth the heat bring it to light. I was surprised by how many thank you messages I got from local cachers tired of this cachers negligence.

I think I must be pretty lucky in my general area as the 'community' seems to Police and work together pretty well in recording and reacting to NM and NA logs. It would appear that reviewer intervention and action is also timely and thorough. Sometimes it just needs a few experienced cachers to 'club' together to ensure regular offenders are gently advised of the requirements. As long as this is polite and informative then most people will react positively and the problems can be dealt with.

I do not see the above as bullying but simply trying to keep your geographical caching area a positive experience for new and visiting cachers alike.

He can't be bothered with silly things like maintenance, so 30 days from the posted note, the caches get archived. All the while he is spewing out more low quality P&Gs.

When you point out his maintenance faults, he threatens to archive all his hides.

Sounds like he'd be doing everyone a favor if he followed through on his threat.

there was one DNF before us, from over a month ago, pretty much confirming that the cache definitely was missing.

Pretty much confiming nothing.

I have a hard one that gets those. i check it and its always still there[and i usually find a throwdown that people have been logging that isn't the cache]

5 dnfs in a row doesn't make a missing cache.

True true....Just like this one. :)

GCW0DF

He can't be bothered with silly things like maintenance, so 30 days from the posted note, the caches get archived. All the while he is spewing out more low quality P&Gs.

Sounds like he'd be doing everyone a favor if he followed through on his threat.

Exactly! What are you waiting for, Riff?

When I put NM on some caches and the CO got upset and archived all his caches

The reprobate CO should attend the I! school of cache maintenance. I'm so brilliant that I even put an NM log on my own cache when a Found It log indicated a problem. Heroic! And can you believe I subsequently went out and fixed the issue - stupendous! Subscription to the I! school of cache maintenance is a mere $30/year, payable in advance. You know it makes sense.

Here is what I'll say. I have a cacher in my area who is notorious for maintenance issues. I brought it to light via this forum,our local forum and some strategic nm and na logs. I got some heat from this cacher but they are now doing maintenance on their caches. If it bothers you enough and it is worth the heat bring it to light. I was surprised by how many thank you messages I got from local cachers tired of this cachers negligence.

Boy I wish I was that lucky. I didn't get thank yous, instead most of the local cachers rallied to him because I was considered somewhat an outsider. But I did have some cachers who did side with me and told me he had done it before.

A great many cachers seem to have had this experience, including myself. There are several caches in my area where the CO is still active but not maintaining them. I have informally "adopted" several such caches, where the original CO is still on the listing but I maintain the cache for the most part. Requests have been made to officially transfer the cache to my ID but there was no response. I just didn't want the listings to be archived because I thought those particular caches were fun.