imposter cache

egvette

Imposter cache

I had hidden a micro cache that had a fairly high difficulty rating, with several DNF. Over the last 3-4 months I noticed several people loggin this cache. Worried that it had been moved I went to check on it. It was still there However some one had placed a regular sized container with in view of the road with a roll of register tape in it. On the the side of the container, written in permanent marker it said. I could not find the cache either, if you could not find it sign my log. The log in side said the same thing. I retrieved the container and at least eight people signed it and claimed a find. What shoul I do? I'm debating notifying each individual and letting them know that they did not find the cache. Should I delete logs. Give credit?

The original description did say micro and had a difficulty. This container was a regular and in plane view. i feel that the people that got the imposter cache did not get the full experince of the hunt, just another number.

Imposter cache

I had hidden a micro cache that had a fairly high difficulty rating, with several DNF. Over the last 3-4 months I noticed several people loggin this cache. Worried that it had been moved I went to check on it. It was still there However some one had placed a regular sized container with in view of the road with a roll of register tape in it. On the the side of the container, written in permanent marker it said. I could not find the cache either, if you could not find it sign my log. The log in side said the same thing. I retrieved the container and at least eight people signed it and claimed a find. What shoul I do? I'm debating notifying each individual and letting them know that they did not find the cache. Should I delete logs. Give credit?

The original description did say micro and had a difficulty. This container was a regular and in plane view. i feel that the people that got the imposter cache did not get the full experince of the hunt, just another number.

The right thing to do is to notify each one who signed on they found an impostor, you are sorry, but they do not get credit, and delete their logs. Might notify them of the first on the list is the suspected impostor placer, but that's up to you.

So what did you do? I see you have no caches hidden on your profile page.

I would notify the people that logged a find on it and let them know they did not find it

and remove their logs from the cache page after giving them a reasonable amount of time

to find the actual cache.

I would also keep the "imposter" cache that you found and use it for another hide if it was

a decent container.

Whoever dropped the bogus cache probably thought they were being funny. At least, I hope so. I would most certainly delete that person's log. As to the others... probably honest, but unfortunate mistakes, even though the size of their find didn't match the size of the hide they were looking for. I think I'd probably be emailing them with the information, and leaving it up to them whether they want to keep their lame, bogus find, or delete it and go back for the real deal.

So what did you do? I see you have no caches hidden on your profile page.

I would notify the people that logged a find on it and let them know they did not find it

and remove their logs from the cache page after giving them a reasonable amount of time

to find the actual cache.

I would also keep the "imposter" cache that you found and use it for another hide if it was

a decent container.

I hide with my friend maudog under the name (USI Rugby Old Boys), Currently I did notify the eight people that have signed the imposter log that it was an imposter. I have not erased logs though but I'm thinking of it as long as it does not disrupt a goal or streak.

Whoever dropped the bogus cache probably thought they were being funny. At least, I hope so. I would most certainly delete that person's log. As to the others... probably honest, but unfortunate mistakes, even though the size of their find didn't match the size of the hide they were looking for. I think I'd probably be emailing them with the information, and leaving it up to them whether they want to keep their lame, bogus find, or delete it and go back for the real deal.

thanks, leaving up to them, and if they want the real cache is a good idea.

I have not erased logs though but I'm thinking of it as long as it does not disrupt a goal or streak.

Other than some sort of anger issue I can't see any reason to delete the logs of the folks who found the fake cache.

They went there, they found and signed a cache, that's the game, right? That it was a fake is not their fault and they shouldn't be penalized.

You've removed the fake, all is once again right in the world, move on. :ph34r:

The imposter cache is clearly labeled as such. Those that signed the log, also marked as bogus, did so knowingly. Delete the finds.
Good point, and very true. They knew what they were doing as much as the cacher that hid the bogus cache.

But I might add that you might want to avoid caching events for a while. Not that they will actually say anything to you, but you will wonder about those hushed whispers and sidewise glances. Of course, you were right, so you can ignore being ostracized. After all, you were in the right.

The imposter cache is clearly labeled as such. Those that signed the log, also marked as bogus, did so knowingly. Delete the finds.

A lot of people don't read. At least judging bt the number of geocoins that get moved despite labels to the contrary, the number of dog owners who are incapable of reading clearly marked signs, and the number of cachers who sign bogus logs. I would leave it to the individuals and not worry about it.

What I would do: I would try to persuade the finders of the imposter cache to change their log to a note or DNF. For this, I would send them an email telling them they didn't found the actual cache (which wasn't missing), and they are invited to change their log and/or to return to find the real cache. If they comply, great; if they don't comply, I would let their log stand.

To the person who left the imposter cache (if he can be identified without any doubt), I would send an email telling him that I didn't approve throw-down caches, and in the future not to do that again, at least on my caches. I would offer to mail him his container if he wants it. I will invite him to change his online log into a note and to return and find the real thing. If he doesn't comply, I would delete his find log in about a month.

Good point, and very true. They knew what they were doing as much as the cacher that hid the bogus cache.

But I might add that you might want to avoid caching events for a while. Not that they will actually say anything to you, but you will wonder about those hushed whispers and sidewise glances. Of course, you were right, so you can ignore being ostracized. After all, you were in the right.

Do the right thing, even if it results in the horror of being whispered at or not getting the Mr. Nice Guy award at the next Meet and Greet. All evil needs to do to triumph is to have good men do nothing.

Do the right thing, even if it results in the horror of being whispered at or not getting the Mr. Nice Guy award at the next Meet and Greet. All evil needs to do to triumph is to have good men do nothing.

You are assuming that the "right thing" to do is to delete all of those logs. I don't make that assumption. Also, being polite and sociable in a lighthearted activity like Geocaching does not mean that you are looking for the "Mr. Nice Guy" award. However, if the tone of your reply is anything like you really are in person, I don't think you need to worry about that Mr. Nice Guy award at the next Meet and Greet event anyway.

I have a simple rule for log deletions. I don't delete a log unless your log is ruining the fun for someone else.

I really don't care if you found it properly or not; If you cheat on my cache, you cheat yourself.

Since there are no prizes for having the most smileys, why would I want to go and ruin someone's day if they found and signed a throw-down cache? They found something, and they went to the spot like they were supposed to.

The person who threw down the cache *has* ruined the fun for someone else so their log gets the insta-whack treatment, and most likely a scathing email from me. If nothing else, they've ruined MY fun by forcing an immediate maintenance check to remove the throw-down.

The rest are left to play the game as they see fit.

I've had the "didn't find it, placed a new cache" stunt pulled on my caches more than a few times. Never deleted a "find" log, except for the throw-down cacher each time.

Agree with Brian and MisplacedPenguin. The (expletive deleted) cacher who threw down the bogus cache because they couldn't find the cache, and wanted to inflate their ego/numbers should have their log deleted (if you can figure out who done it.) The others, theoreticaly, thought that they had found the cache. Their honesty/numbers should not be impugned. (Though, come to think of it, I have found five letterboxes whilst searching for caches. I could tell the difference.) Dont penalize honest mistakes.

1. Remove throw-down container.

2. Notify those who have logged it that it was not the correct cache.

3. Delete logs of those who do not do so of their own accord within a reasonable length of time (I'd say two weeks).

I had something similar happen to one of my caches. Someone thought that the cache had gone missing and replaced it where they thought it should go. Unfortunately, the hide was nothing like it was supposed to be and in fact the original container was still there. However, it took me a while to realize that and imposter was just being signed. Once I noticed, I notified the wrongful signers and gave them a chance to resign within a reasonable period of time. Most resigned. The thing is, as a cache owner thought and preparation goes into each hide (or it should) and when someone adds an impostor cache to make it easier to sign all you are doing is diluting the game not living within the spirit. If a cache has a difficult rating or a discription that would possibly indicate something is not right about the easy find, then the onus is on the cache finder to make sure the are finding the correct cache and not the bogus one. Otherwise why not just throw down a container near every set of coords and say you made the find.

Agree with Brian and MisplacedPenguin. The (expletive deleted) cacher who threw down the bogus cache because they couldn't find the cache, and wanted to inflate their ego/numbers should have their log deleted (if you can figure out who done it.) The others, theoreticaly, thought that they had found the cache. Their honesty/numbers should not be impugned. (Though, come to think of it, I have found five letterboxes whilst searching for caches. I could tell the difference.) Dont penalize honest mistakes.

Well in this case the people who logged the "impostor" knew full well what they were doing because the person who placed the throw down wrote that the purpose of the cache was for those who couldn't find the original on the outside and on the log book.

Still the person who placed the throw down should not be rewarded for doing so. Assuming he didn't find the original, his log should deleted. These phony Samaritans at worst, mess with the fun of others and at the very least cause confusion and extra work on the part of the CO. They need to be sent a message.

As for the others I would let them know what they already knew, that they did not find the cache and they can let their conscience guide them.

Whoodathunk a simple question could evoke so much drama? :rolleyes:

Now we're sniping at each other, simply because our opinions differ? :anibad:

Back on topic: What would I do? Post a note on the cache page. The end.

This is all clearly your doing.

Confess! Confess!

fang.jpg

Back on topic:

While I've seen (and have done) replacement or placeholders for muggled/missing caches, this is clearly a forgery. A note on the orignal, or any evil hide pages, by anyone, that proxy containers are not to be left is a good idea.

Edited by DragonsWest