Who is the geocache legend in your area?

to me, only the number of finds someone has doesn't make them "legendary"

however the time they have been in the game, their hides and efforts to keep their caches "alive" are a few of the things that would qualify someone as "legendary"

How does that lame reply go some of you use?? +1? Or in this case, +2.

And then there are those in your home area that "think" they're legends and really aren't.

Keymaker, for sure. OldBoyHiker. Joefrog. All for different reasons. We have some amazing geocachers among us here in Alabama.

Keymaker comes to my mind as well. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I'm told that he has a distinct memory of every cache he's ever found.

I'd also add Gadgetman. He's usually the FTF on caches in "greater Cullman" area and I always anticipate his log on a new hide.

A "legend" to me isn't the people that cachers in your area talk about. It's the person that cachers from outside your area talk about when your area is mentioned.

Let us not paint with too broad a brush. A full third of the folks I hear about from afar and get on my radar don't get there because of their positive influence in their local geocaching continuum. :ph34r:

I can think of one in Southern New England right off that was on my radar YEARS before I had a run-in with him and I pinned him by his M.O even though he was using a different name in my neck of the woods.

Edited by Snoogans

Well, Texas gets to claim Lord British and the only reasonably attainable one of his 3 count 'em THREE legendary caches. :ph34r::D:D

Most of the legendary cachers from the Houston area don't cache anymore, like geowyz and UsMorrows and a host of others.

It's hard for me to think of some of the folks that still cache as legends. I mean how can someone be a legend if they are still around, but I guess they are... Folks like Muddy Buddies, 9Key, Moosiegirl & The Outlaw, The cacher formerly known as Geekqualizer, TreyB, Mrs. Capt. Picard, Rich & Lola, etc.

To me just about anyone that started caching before me and is STILL caching is a legend regardless of their find count or hide contributions. I've said it before and I'll say it again here; It takes a certain kind of masochist to stick with geocaching in the long term when the average NEW cacher's lifespan in the activity is probably not much longer than that of a honey bee from my observations.

Thanks for the mention, Snoogs! You're certainly one of the most legendary Texas cachers, hands down.

In the Dallas area I'd say Prime Suspect is legendary for being one of the original cachers in the city.

For me, number of finds or hides doesn't mean much, it's what you've done for the game. Folks like MustangJoni, Zeke's Uncle, Roland Oso, Dougshep, Tx Diva and Darkstar, Hedgehopper.

In the Dallas area I'd say Prime Suspect is legendary for being one of the original cachers in the city.

For me, number of finds or hides doesn't mean much, it's what you've done for the game. Folks like MustangJoni, Zeke's Uncle, Roland Oso, Dougshep, Tx Diva and Darkstar, Hedgehopper.

I'll second all of those and add GeoVamp, Dreamcacher (Wayne) and TxOilGas. TxOilGas aka Alan was the first to complete the Texas County Challenge putting in over 20K miles on his truck to complete it. Now THAT ALONE is legendary.

I posted that original list 30 min+ past my bedtime and the names weren't coming to me as well.

however the time they have been in the game, their hides and efforts to keep their caches "alive" are a few of the things that would qualify someone as "legendary"

And then there are those in your home area that "think" they're legends and really aren't.

I was at an event a few months ago and a geocacher I had never met came up to me and asked me if he could take my picture. I was flattered, I didn't know this guy and he had apparently heard of me and wanted my picture. So I posed for him. Then he said, "No, turn around, I want to get the logo on the back of your shirt".

I was at an event a few months ago and a geocacher I had never met came up to me and asked me if he could take my picture. I was flattered, I didn't know this guy and he had apparently heard of me and wanted my picture. So I posed for him. Then he said, "No, turn around, I want to get the logo on the back of your shirt".

I would want your picture if I met you Brian. :DI would also photoshop the word masochist on your forehead. :D:D:ph34r:

I would want your picture if I met you Brian. :DI would also photoshop the word masochist on your forehead. :D:D:ph34r:

You only want a photo because you want to steal his soul. Confess!

There are normal geocachers, then there is Cteam. In West Virginia if there is a 4 or 5 star terrain cache published anywhere in the state, chances are Cteam will get FTF...and they don't even live in West Virginia! They are from Athens, Ohio. But if you want a shot at FTF on remote, lonely caches you'd better be gearing up and on it quick before they get to it.

Are you looking for legendary hiders or finders. Or a combination of the two. A high find count IMHO does not make them legendary. If they have found more than one of the well rounded cacher series then that would put them into a higher category, and I know that Denali41 has found one in Wyo and CO, and mind you that the terrain does go up in these states. And he has hid some very tough caches also.

I would say in our area, the local caching legends would be Glenmart. They are amazing!! They have the most finds in Oregon, but what's more they are great people who leave great logs, and maintain their caches well. They really add a lot to the geocaching community :)

Along the south coast in Oregon, its gotta be Steve & Nancy. They get talked about all the way to Portland and Seattle area event caches.

I would say in our area, the local caching legends would be Glenmart. They are amazing!! They have the most finds in Oregon, but what's more they are great people who leave great logs, and maintain their caches well. They really add a lot to the geocaching community :)

Along the south coast in Oregon, its gotta be Steve & Nancy. They get talked about all the way to Portland and Seattle area event caches.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Steve and Nancy! They are awesome. Their event in Coos Bay was great!

Here in Roseville Mi. there are two

1 - Rattrack 6271 finds 294 hides

2 - gsix5666 509 hides.

I need to get out more, I guess. I haven't heard of either of those two. I guess Roseville is no longer Posenville. There was a time when, if you Googled "Posenville", Google would suggest, "Do you mean 'Roseville'? Seriously! I discovered it myself.

Edit: Whoops!!! We have a Roseville here in Minnesota, too. I missed the "Mi."

Edited by knowschad

The closest geocache legend to me is Terra Girl. She has over 10,000 finds!

Sorry,

In my book geocachers with the highest average terrain rating for found caches are legends.

How about being legendary for the "Lamest Cut & Paste" logs?

In my book geocahers with creative hides that are fun and interesting for people to find are legends. The kind of cachers that other cachers seek out at events and say, "Thank you for hiding awesome caches, I appreciate it."

Of course there are other cachers that are legends too.... like the kind of cachers that think their opinion is the only opinion and try to force that down the throats of everyone else. Those caches are hated by other cahers and become legendary. But who wants to be like that?

As for lamest cut & paste logs.....check your facts. She goes out of her way to post unique logs on caches even some of the most routine caches. Sure some are cut and paste but being legendary for it? I think not. NO that title can easily go to me. So if you don't like the way I log caches tough cookies cause I'm not going to loose any sleep over what you think.

The closest geocache legend to me is Terra Girl. She has over 10,000 finds!

Sorry,

In my book geocachers with the highest average terrain rating for found caches are legends.

How about being legendary for the "Lamest Cut & Paste" logs?

In my book geocahers with creative hides that are fun and interesting for people to find are legends. The kind of cachers that other cachers seek out at events and say, "Thank you for hiding awesome caches, I appreciate it."

Agreed, and a personal goal for my hides.

As for lamest cut & paste logs.....check your facts. She goes out of her way to post unique logs on caches even some of the most routine caches. Sure some are cut and paste but being legendary for it? I think not. NO that title can easily go to me. So if you don't like the way I log caches tough cookies cause I'm not going to loose any sleep over what you think.

To be perfectly clear, I wasn't implying that Terra Girl wrote "cut & paste logs." I was quoting the OP because he was discussing what his vision of legends were. If it appeared that I was singling out Terra Girl, then it was my fault for not being clearer when I posted. For a great example of a wolrd class "cut & paster," check out most of Alamogul's logs.

I stopped hiding easily accesible caches, mainly to avoid most lame, one-sentence logs.

Edited by Kit Fox

I'll second all of those and add GeoVamp, Dreamcacher (Wayne) and TxOilGas. TxOilGas aka Alan was the first to complete the Texas County Challenge putting in over 20K miles on his truck to complete it. Now THAT ALONE is legendary.

I posted that original list 30 min+ past my bedtime and the names weren't coming to me as well.

This is my family's first year geocaching, and we are learning the names of the cachers in our area. However, in our adventures, the names that seem to pop up again and again ALL OVER TEXAS have to be 9key and Mrs. Capt. Picard!

The same thing happened to my wife. She was sporting her brand new trackable tie-died t-shirt when someone came up and asked her for a picture. She immediately struck a pose and smiled for the camera. "Um, I meant the back of your shirt where the number is."

For here it would have to be the Kootenay Pirates. They also go by Cache Effect in Alberta, Alaska and Hawaii :)

I found a coin of theirs that they let me adopt in Wyoming (how cool is THAT!) and I believe I saw their sigs in quite a few other caches on my trip to GW8. I don't believe I've met them there though, but they are aces in my book. Their coin is quite awesome as coins go. It was a special find and memory for me. :D;):huh: