humanist/atheist geocoin?

pacman529

what do you guys think of these quotes:

"To define twentieth-century humanism briefly, I would say that it is a philosophy of joyous service for the greater good of all humanity in this natural world and advocating the methods of reason, science, and democracy." Corliss Lamont

"A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men." Bertrand Russell

"Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error." Thomas Jefferson

"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." David Hume

"Man is the measure of all things." Protagoras

i got all of the above off of this website: http://www.humanismbyjoe.com/humanism_quotes.htm

how many times to we have to say it? this thread is not about religious debate, and it is not about promoting less religion. we are simply discussing the design of a geocoin!

My mistake, I thought the purpose of the coin would be to promote the thing represented by the design.

Edited by insx

how many times to we have to say it? this thread is not about religious debate, and it is not about promoting less religion. we are simply discussing the design of a geocoin!

My mistake, I thought the purpose of the coin would be to promote the thing represented by the design.

not so much promote as to celebrate!

but we're getting off topic. if we could get it to fit on a coin, what would you guys think of this quote: "To define twentieth-century humanism briefly, I would say that it is a philosophy of joyous service for the greater good of all humanity in this natural world and advocating the methods of reason, science, and democracy." Corliss Lamont

maybe we could shorten it by saying: "Humanism is a philosophy of joyous service for the greater good of all humanity in this natural world and advocating the methods of reason, science, and democracy." Corliss Lamont

but we're getting off topic. if we could get it to fit on a coin, what would you guys think of this quote: "To define twentieth-century humanism briefly, I would say that it is a philosophy of joyous service for the greater good of all humanity in this natural world and advocating the methods of reason, science, and democracy." Corliss Lamont

maybe we could shorten it by saying: "Humanism is a philosophy of joyous service for the greater good of all humanity in this natural world and advocating the methods of reason, science, and democracy." Corliss Lamont

I don't really think that either of those would fit on a coin. Maybe try one of bluedeuce's shorter suggestions. Plus.... the second one wouldn't actually be a quote if you are paraphrasing. What about on the back putting

Knowledge.

Kindliness.

Courage.

That would simple, small, and I think that it would get the point across.

I don't really think that either of those would fit on a coin. Maybe try one of bluedeuce's shorter suggestions. Plus.... the second one wouldn't actually be a quote if you are paraphrasing. What about on the back putting

Knowledge.

Kindliness.

Courage.

That would simple, small, and I think that it would get the point across.

i just did a google search on "values of humanism" and i found these:

-Compassion

-Reason

-Healthy Skeptcism

-Natural Ethics

-Confidence

what do you guys think of those?

Oh...Who was it who said 'For evil to prosper, all that is required is for good men to do nothing' ...?

Would that one fit the bill? Maybe too long?

well, i think it's about the right length, and i love that quote, but i don't think it's really representative of humanism.

yeah, I realised afterwards the reference to 'evil' would be off track. *sigh*

back to the drawing board, lol.

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing this coin come to light. My family is agnostic..you know...gotta have scientific proof and all... blah blah blah... guess who's at the door right now trying to sell us on religion.....

MORMONS ARE SO MUCH FUN!

the easiest way to get rid of them is to ask them about the Mountain Meadow Massacre!

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing this coin come to light. My family is agnostic..you know...gotta have scientific proof and all... blah blah blah... guess who's at the door right now trying to sell us on religion.....

MORMONS ARE SO MUCH FUN!

the easiest way to get rid of them is to ask them about the Mountain Meadow Massacre!

Let's keep on the discussion of the coin design. Not who's religion is the most fun to chase off, please.

MORMONS ARE SO MUCH FUN!

Let's keep on the discussion of the coin design. Not who's religion is the most fun to chase off, please.

alright i'm sorry. you're right.

-Compassion

-Reason

-Healthy Skeptcism

-Natural Ethics

-Confidence

Do these 'Grab' you as things you want on your coin? I kind of picture it as around the circle that you would read as you turn the coin in your hand.

-Compassion

-Reason

-Healthy Skeptcism

-Natural Ethics

-Confidence

Do these 'Grab' you as things you want on your coin? I kind of picture it as around the circle that you would read as you turn the coin in your hand.

That's a good idea to put those words around the symbol on front. On the back you could have a quote. I like "Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error." (Thomas Jefferson) because it's succinct, poignant and by a founding father so likely to resonate with folks.

Edited by haysonics

-Compassion

-Reason

-Healthy Skeptcism

-Natural Ethics

-Confidence

That's a good idea to put those words around the symbol on front. On the back you could have a quote. I like "Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error." (Thomas Jefferson) because it's succinct, poignant and by a founding father so likely to resonate with folks.

oooh i really like that!!!

so what does everyone think of this design? the humanist on one side, surrounded by the values of humanism, and on the back the jefferson quote.

anyone else have any more ideas?

do you guys want it round, oval, or shaped like the humanist or something?

also, do you guys want it to be just a normal pressed coin, or enamel filled? please let me know what you guys think!

would anyone be willing to try and make a concept drawing?

The shape is up to you but I'll suggest round so that it looks like a coin and you can have the lettering aound the logo (front side). I can think of 2 versions i would like. A 2 tone with the logo and lettering in polished gold on a polished silver (or nickel) background. The 2nd version would be the 2 tone mentioned but with a nice transulucent blue added over the polished silver (or nickel) background.

Edited by haysonics

The shape is up to you but I'll suggest round so that it looks like a coin and you can have the lettering aound the logo (front side). I can think of 2 versions i would like. A 2 tone with the logo and lettering in polished gold on a polished silver (or nickel) background. The 2nd version would be the 2 tone mentioned but with a nice transulucent blue added over the polished silver (or nickel) background.

can we get some concept art of that?

This subject is interesting to follow and I am anxious to see the final design! It also makes me think it would be super-fun to create a Sagan/Pale Blue Dot themed geocoin. Has this already been done?

that would be awesome! If I am successful in getting this one minted, I'll definately put that on my list for next!

Quite frankly I feel any geocoin based philosophy religion, or politics are stupid and that includes Atheism and Patriotism. A geocoin endorsing Atheism is especially idiotic. On the other hand I feel one should be allowed to have free speech and if they wish to make such a thing they should be allowed to do so however if someone feels another ay they should be allowed to express that as well. Any trackables of this type of nature though I see in circulation I do not grab. I just leave them be in the cache. My feeling is that they should stay agenda neutral.

Quite frankly I feel any geocoin based philosophy religion, or politics are stupid and that includes Atheism and Patriotism. A geocoin endorsing Atheism is especially idiotic. On the other hand I feel one should be allowed to have free speech and if they wish to make such a thing they should be allowed to do so however if someone feels another ay they should be allowed to express that as well. Any trackables of this type of nature though I see in circulation I do not grab. I just leave them be in the cache. My feeling is that they should stay agenda neutral.

humanism is not atheism by default. we are designing a humanist geocoin, specifically because i think it will go over better. besides, have you seen how many christian geocoins there are?

humanism is not atheism by default. we are designing a humanist geocoin, specifically because i think it will go over better. besides, have you seen how many christian geocoins there are?

And the agenda becomes clear

:blink:

Please let me know if/when this humanist coin becomes available for purchased. I would be interested in buying some!

Free to think

This is the best quote IMHO, nice and succinct ...

Agreed; can't get any clearer than that. What do you think pacman ?

well i was actually thinking of going with the jefferson quote

Then Jefferson it is. I'll put something together in photoshop for you this weekend.

AwESOME! thanks dude! also, when your making the front of the coin (which should probably be 1.75 in around) can you put the word "Humanist" or "Humanism" across the top, with the rest of the values of humanism surrounding the logo. i have also modified the list a little bit: Compassion, Reason, Skepticism, Natural Ethics, Naturalism.

edit: although for now, the words themselves are not important for a first sketch. the room for them is more important, but go with those words for now.

Edited by pacman529

Free to think

This is the best quote IMHO, nice and succinct ...

Agreed; can't get any clearer than that. What do you think pacman ?

Is this a good point about Humanism/Atheism or is it just saying that religious people are stupid?

well obviously it's intended to be the first one, although no doubt some people (on both sides, i might add) use it or misinterpret it as the latter.

well obviously it's intended to be the first one, although no doubt some people (on both sides, i might add) use it or misinterpret it as the latter.

I'm not sure it is obvious. It's only a special feature of your belief system if it's not true of others. In reality, people of all persuasions think, some several times a day.

If the point is 'religious people don't think', it's worth saying (even if untrue or offensive).

If the point is 'we think, as do most people', I don't think it works.

A good slogan for humanism would be 'treat others as you would like them to treat you' but I think that's taken :blink:

I'm not sure it is obvious. It's only a special feature of your belief system if it's not true of others. In reality, people of all persuasions think, some several times a day.

If the point is 'religious people don't think', it's worth saying (even if untrue or offensive).

If the point is 'we think, as do most people', I don't think it works.

A good slogan for humanism would be 'treat others as you would like them to treat you' but I think that's taken :(

good point. although i still think i like the Jefferson quote better, because it seems less offensive, and just because Jefferson was badass.

I have a different interpretation of the quote. I think it may mean that we live in a country where we are free to think, e.g., freedom to have various religious beliefs (or free not to) without being told what to think about religion by our leaders.

I'm no expert on TJ, but when I consider the historical context, it makes some sense to me.

I don't see the need to be defensive about the perceived insult that religious people don't have the freedom to think. I'm not seeing that meaning in the quote at all. But hey, maybe that's just me. :(

I have a different interpretation of the quote. I think it may mean that we live in a country where we are free to think, e.g., freedom to have various religious beliefs (or free not to) without being told what to think about religion by our leaders.

I'm no expert on TJ, but when I consider the historical context, it makes some sense to me.

I don't see the need to be defensive about the perceived insult that religious people don't have the freedom to think. I'm not seeing that meaning in the quote at all. But hey, maybe that's just me. :(

i think in the context of criticizing religion, it is saying more that a large majority of religious people tend to be more close minded when it comes to questioning their religious beliefs. i.e. otherwise completely rational and skeptical people who use normal logic and reasoning and questioning skills in everyday life refuse to use those same skills on their own faith.

but i don't really want to discuss this TOO much further, for fear that this will turn into a religious debate.

Hopefully this won't prolong the religious debate too much as I realise that's inappropriate. I would just like to say that many religious folk have questioned their faith, thought long and hard and reasoned it out. It is almost a necessity to do so when you are swimming against the tide of atheism. As you may have guessed, I've got religion and I'm free to think too.

By the way, the Jefferson quote is great. It should be on the coin.

Edited by insx