humanist/atheist geocoin?

pacman529

so i've seen a few old discussions about this and most of them seem to have gotten derailed. i was just curious if there are any secular humanist or atheist themed geocoins. i know about the FSM coin and the COEXIST coin, but i'm specifically talking about a coin with the happy humanist logo or some sort of atheistic logo, such as the logo for Richard Dawkin's Atheist Out Campeign http://outcampaign.org/

if there aren't, would anyone be willing to help me design a new coin/ help me understand the process of getting a new coin made, since i am really new to geocaching in general.

I don't know of any coins like you describe. It might be wise to put out a feeler to gauge how much interest there would be. Personally, I could see them being made for collecting... But as far as a coin like that moving around... I could see a lot of them being purposely lost or stolen in the states. Just a thought.

Some of Wykenwizard's coins could be considered humanist I suppose. Oh, there was an OM coin minted a couple of years ago as part of a personal theme. But I suspect that anything that is remotely anti-theistic could rub some folks the wrong way in the field... though FSM and his merry band of troublemakers aren't as well known as Darwin and his ape descendants.

Some of Wykenwizard's coins could be considered humanist I suppose. Oh, there was an OM coin minted a couple of years ago as part of a personal theme. But I suspect that anything that is remotely anti-theistic could rub some folks the wrong way in the field... though FSM and his merry band of troublemakers aren't as well known as Darwin and his ape descendants.

where could i find his coins? and yea, i figured as much about the anti-theistic thing. i would think of it as more of a collectible item than anything else.

An atheist coin wouldn't necessarily be anti-theist (that's not what the "a-" means) unless, of course, it outright said "religion sux!" (or something like that). I think an atheist or Dawkins "A" coin would be pretty cool, as would a humanist coin. As goosefraba1 mentioned, though, religion (or, in this case, lack of one) is one of those topics that makes people lose their respect for others in the game (e.g., taking religious, or in this case, a-religious, items out of caches). Sadly.

I think a Darwin coin would be pretty cool, too (though, of course, a Darwin commemoration coin would not really have anything to do with either atheism or humanism unless someone slapped a logo on there), though I agree that it might be a hard coin to move in some areas. Which is a pity, too.

Dawkins is an atheist who is also anti-theist and his out campaign reflects that sentiment. There are probably an equal number of atheists who are neutral towards religion (they simply don't believe in God)

Those atheists who simply lack faith have no banner to waive and no need to make a coin.

However, if you are in the Dawkins camp you should feel free to use his campaign logo and statements so that the coin's message is clear. A lot of coins will get muggled and destroyed but you'll expect that and budget accordingly.

I would not recommend using Darwin or Einstein in an atheist themed coin due to the confusion that exists in the public mind over these mens position on the existence of God.

Dawkins is an atheist who is also anti-theist and his out campaign reflects that sentiment. There are probably an equal number of atheists who are neutral towards religion (they simply don't believe in God)

Those atheists who simply lack faith have no banner to waive and no need to make a coin.

However, if you are in the Dawkins camp you should feel free to use his campaign logo and statements so that the coin's message is clear. A lot of coins will get muggled and destroyed but you'll expect that and budget accordingly.

I would not recommend using Darwin or Einstein in an atheist themed coin due to the confusion that exists in the public mind over these mens position on the existence of God.

while I do agree that Dawkins is an anti-theist/anti-religion, i don't think that is the message of the Out Campeign. it is more about bringing like-minded individuals together.

I would agree that using Darwin or Einstein might be a bad idea, and i had no intention of using either of them, even though neither of them were religious.

i do realize that an atheist themed coin would probably irritate people to the point of them getting "lost", but what about a coin with the happy humanist logo that does not say "Atheist" or anything like that on it at all? do you think people would still be likely to muggle something like that?

I do believe that a humanist coin would gain greater acceptance. It doesn't have the same negative connotation in this are (the bible belt) as the words atheism and darwinism.... and there is already a logo to go by. Might be the better option. I wonder if the AHA would contribute?

or how about the council for secular humanism?

If it were a fish with legs coin, would have a larger appeal...as being a symbol of evolution (but not atheism/humanism). I would buy a nice one of those, maybe several.

There are a lot of things which might have difficulty surviving in some parts of the world (am considering getting a Rosa Parks coin dropped in a Saudi cache, but could be there for some years, or be regarded as contraband there if found. Still, it would have a better chance than either a Christian or atheist coin! )

I am a Christian and wholeheartedly support you, and would be happy to move coins to do with atheism.

I like the idea of an OUT coin with a summary on the back, and more info on the web page...You would propably need permission to copy the design and wording, but if that is a given, you could have the OUT proud, in the various metals and the surround in a bold coloured opaque faux hard enamel (red/pink/green/black, etc) on an oblong coin.

I like the scarlet A as well but didn't get as far to see what that was about. Again, given copyright permissions, you could have the A intaglio with hard opaque red enamel fill - could be a round coin.

Just as I am not black, but have bought a Rosa Parks coin, I would consider buying an atheist related coin too, depending on cost and attractiveness.

Sorry I can't be of more help, not really knowing that much about atheist symbolism, nor having any experience designing/ making coins.

all the best, and vives les differences!

Edited by Fianccetto

Huh?? :D:);) You have to have a banner to wave to need to make a coin???

I don't believe in Santa Clause but I have no desire to make a "Santa Aint Real" geocoin. If I was anti-Santa I might. That's what I meant by waving a banner.

while I do agree that Dawkins is an anti-theist/anti-religion, i don't think that is the message of the Out Campeign. it is more about bringing like-minded individuals together.

I would agree that using Darwin or Einstein might be a bad idea, and i had no intention of using either of them, even though neither of them were religious.

i do realize that an atheist themed coin would probably irritate people to the point of them getting "lost", but what about a coin with the happy humanist logo that does not say "Atheist" or anything like that on it at all? do you think people would still be likely to muggle something like that?

Anti-religion is part of the message of Dawkins out campaign :

"KEEP OUT - It is time to let our voices be heard regarding the intrusion of religion in our schools and politics. Atheists along with millions of others are tired of being bullied by those who would force their own religious agenda down the throats of our children and our respective governments. We need to KEEP OUT the supernatural from our moral principles and public policies."

I do see Dawkins point. The push by the Christian right to get Intelligent Design (rebadged Creationism) into U.S. schools is frightening but there is concern that Dawkins will end up alienating the people he is trying to reach with his shock troop tactics. The U.S. is polarised on so many issues (its people tend to adopt extreme views on subjects, few take the middle ground). If you download the Dawkins-Lennox debate (held in the U.S.) from Dawkins website you may agree that some of Dawkins remarks seem designed to offend Christians. The last thing the U.S. needs right now is some sort of Christian vs Atheist turf war.

Don't let what I have said put you off though. Although I think Dawkins is taking the wrong approach I do actually agree with his points. As I mentioned, if you are in the Dawkins camp you should feel free to use his campaign logo at least. You can pick and choose which of his statements you want to use depending on how "heavy" a message you want on your coin. You could always do what the U.S. has done with movies. Have a toned down message for the U.S. coin and a censorship free message for the International coin :)

Edited by haysonics

Anti-religion is part of the message of Dawkins out campaign :

"KEEP OUT - It is time to let our voices be heard regarding the intrusion of religion in our schools and politics. Atheists along with millions of others are tired of being bullied by those who would force their own religious agenda down the throats of our children and our respective governments. We need to KEEP OUT the supernatural from our moral principles and public policies."

I do see Dawkins point. The push by the Christian right to get Intelligent Design (rebadged Creationism) into U.S. schools is frightening but there is concern that Dawkins will end up alienating the people he is trying to reach with his shock troop tactics. The U.S. is polarised on so many issues (its people tend to adopt extreme views on subjects, few take the middle ground). If you download the Dawkins-Lennox debate (held in the U.S.) from Dawkins website you may agree that some of Dawkins remarks seem designed to offend Christians. The last thing the U.S. needs right now is some sort of Christian vs Atheist turf war.

ok, you may have a point there, although i saw the out campeign as more of a motivator for Atheists to come out of the closet and let their voices be heard.

in general though, I am starting to think that a happy humanist would be a better idea than the A from the out campeign.

Are we discussing what coins would be permitted by geocaching.com?

well i guess that is something that would be important to consider.

Really the only point to consider. Religious debate is off topic for this forum.

We are discussing what the coin should/should not have on it so it is certainly on topic. I am sure that will effect whether it gets approved by Groundspeak as well though I am concerned you feel that is the only topic that should be discussed on this forum. If we adopted that policy this forum would become a very dull place. Luckily there has been plenty of posts about different religious ideas over the last couple of years. Have a look at DJJRock's posts for example. Good reading.

Edited by haysonics

Are we discussing what coins would be permitted by geocaching.com?

well i guess that is something that would be important to consider.

Really the only point to consider. Religious debate is off topic for this forum.

We are discussing what the coin should/should not have on it. I am sure that will effect whether it gets approved by Groundspeak so it is certainly on topic. I am concerned you feel we should only be discussing whether a coin wil be granted approval by Groundspeak. If we only do that this forum will turn into a very dull place. Luckily there has been plenty of posts about different religious ideas over the last couple of years. Have a look at DJJRock's posts for example. Good reading.

Religious debate is off topic for this forum.

let's be clear here: this discussion is not about religious debate. this discussion is about the possibility of making a geocoin for humanists, atheists, or the like. please stay on topic.

i'm not really good at art (damnit man, i'm a physicist not an artist!) so would anyone else possibly be willing to come up with some concept art for a geocoin with the happy humanist logo? either a round one or possibly one shaped like the happy humanist?

Edited by pacman529

let's be clear here: this discussion is not about religious debate. this discussion is about the possibility of making a geocoin for humanists, atheists, or the like. please stay on topic.

i'm not really good at art (damnit man, i'm a physicist not an artist!) so would anyone else possibly be willing to come up with some concept art for a geocoin with the happy humanist logo? either a round one or possibly one shaped like the happy humanist?

As the hands/feet of the happy humanist are pretty pointy I could see one on a lozenge shaped coin, with the symbol in black enamel, a thin outline of the metal around the body shape and a different coloured enamel around the rest of the coin. Any words you would like as sort explanation raised in metal around the front edge (or maybe a quotation in an attractive type face?) with the geocaching link and number on the back. Needs a little something else though...

(Personally I am liking the idea of 'take a chill pill' on there somewhere and a line across the middle of the back, to make it look like a long pill/tablet. Obviously, before some jobsworth brings it up, it would have to be big so noone could actually swallow it. Perhaps this does not adhere to the humanist ideology too well though, so am happy for it to be swept aside.)

As the hands/feet of the happy humanist are pretty pointy I could see one on a lozenge shaped coin, with the symbol in black enamel, a thin outline of the metal around the body shape and a different coloured enamel around the rest of the coin. Any words you would like as sort explanation raised in metal around the front edge (or maybe a quotation in an attractive type face?) with the geocaching link and number on the back. Needs a little something else though...

(Personally I am liking the idea of 'take a chill pill' on there somewhere and a line across the middle of the back, to make it look like a long pill/tablet. Obviously, before some jobsworth brings it up, it would have to be big so noone could actually swallow it. Perhaps this does not adhere to the humanist ideology too well though, so am happy for it to be swept aside.)

*grabs broom*

while i do find that a bit amusing, i think that would be a better idea for some other geocoin. I'm not really sure what would be a good idea to put on the coin. ideally it would be something that religious people would not take offense to, but at the same time make it very clear as to who and what we are. anyone want to help me find a few eligible cantidates?

Great news guys! I e-mailed the guys at americanhumanist.org, telling them about our discussion and linking them to this discussion, and here was their reply:

Paul,

We'd be happy to professionally design the geocoin you are trying to produce once you settle on what you'd like. Lisa, CC'd, is our designer. We can produce them ourselves, but would be interested in helping publicize it if you do.

All my best!

-Roy

does anyone have any more input about what this coin would look like? i think right now the general consensus is to have a coin with the happy humanist logo on one side, and have some significant but short quote on the back. would you guys prefer a round coin, oval coin, or a coin actually shaped like the happy humanist?

Furthermore, does anyone have any ideas for what could be put on the other side?

I like the idea of the coin being shaped. I would suggest writing a short summary of the general philosophy of humanism. It seems to me that you want this to be educational... And that would be the best approach I think. If AHA is going to help fund the project, they will probably want to approve of whatever message you put on the reverse side. So... You might want to sit down and write a short description and send it to them. Another idea for the reverse could be a humanist quote.

Another thing that you will need to consider is the size of the coin. The larger the coin, the larger the space on the back to write. Keep in mind the larger the coin, the higher the price to produce. Also, where will the tracking number be placed? Some coins the number is on the back along with "track at geocaching.com". This could also go on the front or the side of the coin.

I like the idea of the coin being shaped. I would suggest writing a short summary of the general philosophy of humanism. It seems to me that you want this to be educational... And that would be the best approach I think. If AHA is going to help fund the project, they will probably want to approve of whatever message you put on the reverse side. So... You might want to sit down and write a short description and send it to them. Another idea for the reverse could be a humanist quote.

Another thing that you will need to consider is the size of the coin. The larger the coin, the larger the space on the back to write. Keep in mind the larger the coin, the higher the price to produce. Also, where will the tracking number be placed? Some coins the number is on the back along with "track at geocaching.com". This could also go on the front or the side of the coin.

yea but that is what i am asking you guys for. what do you want to see on the coin?

edit: in terms of a quote or saying. ideally something fairly short, pertanent to humanism (obviously), but importantly not inflammatory.

Edited by pacman529

Well, I was raised Unitarian so of course to rebel against my parents I became a Catholic. (That is meant as a joke even though it is true, except about the rebelling part, I think. :anibad: )

Anyhoo, Isn't this the humanism 'symbol':

Humanism.png

Something like that on one side, a few catchy phrases on the other.

Well, I was raised Unitarian so of course to rebel against my parents I became a Catholic. (That is meant as a joke even though it is true, except about the rebelling part, I think. :anibad: )

Anyhoo, Isn't this the humanism 'symbol':

Humanism.png

Something like that on one side, a few catchy phrases on the other.

that is exactly the symbol i'm talking about.

and that reminds me of a joke i once heard about being an atheist: "Yes, but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

(Exactly. Remind me to tell you a story sometime)

But! we don't want to take your thread off topic.

I think humanist-symbolism is a bit of an oxymoron so it's tough to make a coin. So find your symbol, pick a few choice quotes and there you go.

Edited by BlueDeuce

(Exactly. Remind me to tell you a story sometime)

But! we don't want to take your thread off topic.

I think humanist-symbolism is a bit of an oxymoron so it's tough to make a coin. So find your symbol, pick a few choice quotes and there you go.

well then what would you suggest?

You have your choice, that symbol with a quote or two, or something that shows what you want to convey. I'm not sure what that would be. You tell me and I'll offer an idea.

well i really think i like the symbol, because it seems to be the main symbol for humanism. as for a quote, as i have stated before, i'm looking for something non-inflamitory, short, and meaning full, that sort of encompasses humanism, particularly secular humanism.

You have your choice, that symbol with a quote or two, or something that shows what you want to convey. I'm not sure what that would be. You tell me and I'll offer an idea.

well i really think i like the symbol, because it seems to be the main symbol for humanism. as for a quote, as i have stated before, i'm looking for something non-inflamitory, short, and meaning full, that sort of encompasses humanism, particularly secular humanism.

Well, I'd go with something about bacon, but let's pick this up tomorrow.

g'night

g'night

Assuming you are referring to Francis Bacon, did you have a particular quote of his in mind ?

g'night

Assuming you are referring to Francis Bacon, did you have a particular quote of his in mind ?

Oh...Who was it who said 'For evil to prosper, all that is required is for good men to do nothing' ...?

Would that one fit the bill? Maybe too long?

It's strange how you are not allowed to promote religion but it's OK to promote less religion.

how many times to we have to say it? this thread is not about religious debate, and it is not about promoting less religion. we are simply discussing the design of a geocoin!

Oh...Who was it who said 'For evil to prosper, all that is required is for good men to do nothing' ...?

Would that one fit the bill? Maybe too long?

well, i think it's about the right length, and i love that quote, but i don't think it's really representative of humanism.