Read the TB instructions BEFORE moving!

wildergeek
Followers 0

Sorry...I gotta rant. This seems really obvious to me but may not be to other geocachers.

I moved a TravelBug (http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=19174) from Detroit to Dayton OH because the bug wants to go to Las Vegas. Dayton is near the intersection if I-75 and I-70 so this seemed like a pretty good jump in the right direction.

I've been tracking Kingpin's progress and I'm amazed at some of the moves it has taken. Do people even read the bug's instructions before taking/moving it? It has gone 100 miles back toward Detroit!!

It's like people take them for the novelty and move them willy nilly just for the sake of moving them.

Respect the bug. If it has clear instructions where it wants to go, don't take it if you can't help it along its way!

that many geocachers (myself included) scarf down the cache coordinates into the GPS and head off in search of the cache. No thought to what else is on the cache page.

Once we get there we may emit the expression.." My, my..what do we have here? - a Travel bug. I fancy taking that"

and so, the travel bug is at the discretion of the geocacher's future travel directions ...

Besides, ain't it the journey and not the destination that counts? icon_razz.gif

Nevertheless, I know how you feel. I had a travel bug of mine on the verge of achieving its goal - only to be wisked away thousands of mile - to Australia.! I merely amended the TB's goal to accomodate this...deviation! icon_biggrin.gif

Looking at the bug's map, I see only one leg that seems off track. I would think from Ohio, anything south or west would be reasonable. My bugs have tended to meander a bit, but I prefer that to having them stuck in one cache for several months. With all the bugs that come up missing, I guess I just consider myself lucky when mine are logged at all. Maybe more specific instructions on the TB's page would keep him on a more direct path.

quote:
Originally posted by smithgr:

Do people even read the bug's instructions before taking/moving it?

If I notice a bugs icon on a cache page I plan on visit I will read where it wants to go. But several times I have got to a cache and find the bug there, not having noticed it was going to be there. And even if I do know its supposed to be there, I always expect some SNAFU to cause the bug to be gone.

Also most of the TBs ive found had no goal attached to them, in these cases I always take them home and print out its goal and attach it. So far I been lucky to not move one the wrong way icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Respect the bug. If it has clear instructions where it wants to go, don't take it if you can't help it along its way

the bug has instructions attached. I used to be surprised how many bugs are out there without their goals attached. I found this handy tool in another forum thread so mine travel with some info.

TB info Tag

Thanks to the WSGA for making it so easy.

Be careful what you wish for!

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

quote:
Respect the bug. If it has clear instructions where it wants to go, don't take it if you can't help it along its way

the bug has instructions attached. I used to be surprised how many bugs are out there without their goals attached. I found this handy tool in another forum thread so mine travel with some info.

Thanks to the WSGA for making it so easy.

Be careful what you wish for!

I've come across many bugs that do not have instructions on them. The reference you made is great, but the tags it prints out are fairly large (sandwich bag sized). I've attached those tags to each of my bugs that I purchased on this last go around, but I've also gone the 3x5 card route too. I think it really would help the novice geocacher out, if travel bugs had instruction tags on them. Personally, I think the instructions on the Dog Tag itself don't really help at all. icon_frown.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

We've taken to adding tags to the TBs we come across. We got fed up with not knowing the misson of the bug. Now, we take it home, read the mission, and make the tags and add them before sending them on there way. This way, the next person will know what to do with it.

Here's an example can be seen HERE

An advantage of these are they're the same size and shape of the metal tag so there's not much bulk added. Plus, they're plastic so you don't have to worry about moisture.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

An advantage of these are they're the same size and shape of the metal tag so there's not much bulk added. Plus, they're plastic so you don't have to worry about moisture.

How do you make those?

We use the TravelBug Sheet and put it in a bag with our bug. BUT we also laminate the goals on a small 2x3 card and attach it as well. Thing is, if the person grabbing the bug is not responsible the bug goes missing. I don't mind our bugs going off track because the goal is the ultimate destination and not a direct line.

take care icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Judy&Dick:

How do you make those?

I have the advantage of having access to a laser engraver. I'm an engraver and one of the machines I use is a laser. It engraves the copy and cuts them out too. I can cut just about any custom shape, so the "dog tag" shape was nothing.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I agree if the bug does not have a goal with it and it is in a cache, then I will take it even without knowing its goal. Then I will leave it next time in go out in field but this may or not help it on its goal.

If the goal is on bug I read it and decide if I can help it in right direction, but even this may be up to cacher's interpretation. I once moved a bug from Western NJ to Eastern NJ that wanted to go to Mexico, in hopes an airport bound cacher would take it on a plane trip. Bug did not say whether that was okay or not.

So it's all well and fine if your bug is moving, one of mine has been captured by another Geocacher who apparently doesn't want to let him go. icon_frown.gif

We released Herford Halfogre in early January this year. He was quickly grabbed but not logged out of the cache. We found out who had him from the log book while doing some upkeep at the cache. After dropping a friendly note to the bugnappers, they did log him as taken into their inventory. That was more than 20 days ago and he hasn't been re-cached yet.

My question is: what do we do now? icon_confused.gif

Captain Walker, Frodo & the gang

Dark River Rangers, Florida Co.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

So... people don't take a bug home to log it before moving it to anouther cache??? icon_eek.gif

Not always. Sometimes I'll drop it in the next cache I come to, very close to the one I took it from. I just jot down the number in my notebook. Then I'll log it out of the one and into the other as soon as I get home. I figure I'm pretty unlikely to hurt the goal very much, if I don't know what the goal is.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

So... people don't take a bug home to log it before moving it to anouther cache??? icon_eek.gif

I grabbed a bug that has been stagnating in a cache for 6 weeks. I then dropped it into the next cache that I found later that day. icon_wink.gif

When I got home, I logged the grab and then the drop into the new cache. The bug got picked up within a day, went to Arizona and is now in Michigan. icon_smile.gif

The only drawback to that would be if someone else were to grab the bug and log it before you got home to log it yourself. I've worried about that when I've dropped bugs off while I was vacationing, thinking that I hope that no one grabs this one and logs it before I get home to log it myself.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

surprise is part of the game. people like to have bugs. sometimes a move that doesn't appear to be an advantage puts it somewhere good. taking a bug 100 miles retrograde might be a good move if it puts it near an airport- or a trail juction- or where you uncle bob who is going to the bug's destination will be-

anyway, the point is the most direct route isn't necessarily the best. be open to whatever comes.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by brad.32:

How much would tags like yours cost to get engraved?

I'm not really sure as I don't do any of the custom pricing around here. A guess by one of the girls was $8.00 to $10.00. Of course, if you ordered more, then prices would come down.

You could print out the picture linked above and take it to a local engraver and see want they would charge. We're kind of on the high end of the scale.

However, I do these particular ones in my spare time with scrape material--and for a lot less than the above quoted prices. If you're interested email me through my profile and we can discuss it directly. (People don't like for us to get "commercial.")

CR

72057_2000.gif

I do agree with you if it has a date to try to beat or a really specific goal, but some of the fun in T/B's is to see where it ends up before the destination....I mean if it were part of a T/B race and it was a town away from winning and someone took it 200 miles away yeah I wouldn't be so happy....

I picked up a T/B last week with no paper work and it was confusing because it was a little turtle, the cache I got it from was a start and finsh point for a turtle T/B Race. When I got home I thought I messed up the race. Come to find out the turtle I got was a different one the cache owner threw in to head to PA, so I all set but....What I did was made up a paper tag with it's goal on it for the next finder....

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

Check out RNJ Nomad to see the type of tags I add to my bugs. Nomad originally had it's goal inside the capsule, but the paper was hard to remove, and I didn't think that everyone would look to open it to check if it had a goal sheet. I e-mailed Jbird77 to see if it was OK to add an external tag, and the pict. shows what it looks like. Pretty much I just print out the goal in small text, cut it out, tape it to a file folder, cut that out, laminate it with clear packing tape, and punch a hole in it. Lately I've taken to using the packing type tape with string inside it (the nasty stuff that you nees an xacto or box cutter to cut) over the area where I'm going to punch a hole, for added strenght. I Place 2 pieces with the strings going 90degrees of each other. I don't think this setup's gonna rip anytime soon!

Another idea, oriental trading has blank digtags, and most hardware stores have engravers- I forgot what type of tip, but the really good ones (but that's going overboard for this) are diamond-tipped. Not the electric kind, just something to scratch stuff in metal.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

I have to agree that far too many TBs go MIA and we need to try and prevent this as best we can.

Because of this I have made up laminated 2x3 cards with a hole punched in it and attached them to the 4 TBs I have created. The tags clearly state it is a TB and is not a regular cache item. They also explain to only take if you intend to place in another cache and log you have done so. They also have directions on the back how to do that.

But instead of the actual goal on the tag, there is a link to the TBs web page stating its current goal. The reason I did this is I intend for their goals to change once they reach their original goal. So putting there goal on anything permanent attached to them would make changing their goal while out difficult or impossible.

SilverRubicon

Staples will laminate anything up to a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper in the thick professional plastic laminate for only $1. This is how I did my cards for my TBs. You can also have multiple cards done on one sheet of laminate for the same $1. That's what I did, so my four TB tags only cost me 25 cents each.

I also took the standard cache note and resized it to fit on a 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 sheet of paper and laminated it as well to place in my caches. This size once laminated fits perfectly in a standard ammo box.

SilverRubicon

quote:
Originally posted by giblert:

We too have made up little business card-sized TB instruction sheets. And then we purchased a package of laminating pouches that are the same size. Rather than having them professionally laminated at Staples, we just ironed them at home and that sealed them perfectly!

Giblert,

Where would you find these laminating pouches?

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

Webfoot,

I have seen these laminating pouches at the same place I get mine done for me, Staples. I was just there today and saw them for $5.99, for 25 business card size ones. That works out to be just under 24 cents each. You may also be able to find them somewhere else for less. But this is one place I know they carry them and know the price.

SilverRubicon

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:
Originally posted by giblert:

We too have made up little business card-sized TB instruction sheets. And then we purchased a package of laminating pouches that are the same size. Rather than having them professionally laminated at Staples, we just ironed them at home and that sealed them perfectly!

Giblert,

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Oops - a month later and I'm finally responding to Webfoot. Sorry. We bought them at Staples but I think most office supply stores would carry them.

As a newbie I try to read all about TB's. I notice on some cache pages/discussion forums, many GC'ers make a game/competition out of taking TB's. Seems some claim bragging rights to the no. of TB's taken. They don't seem to care about a TB "mission". They just want to log another TB "find".