Reviewer Forum

While I think it's a neat and worthwhile idea to have an "Ask The Reviewer" forum, I think I see a fly in the ointment - what happens when two reviewers disagree?

It could be a new revenue stream for Groundspeak! They fight a cage match, on YouTube. I'd pay to watch and I would accept the victor's answer!

Now we're talking about some REAL entertainment! :ph34r:

I noticed Keystone chimed in above stating you WOULDN'T get 20 different answers from 20 different reviewers...and I kinda bet you wouldn't either.

Given that most of the 'reviewers' are actually one person's sock puppets, I suspect that the actual number of answers would be something like 6.

I get tired of hearing the the Reviewers "volunteer" their time and we should respect that. The last time I looked, the people who placed caches and hunted caches "volunteered" their time also. It take all three for this game to exist. If a reviewer does not like what he has to do, then quit. If I did not like looking for caches then I would quit. It's not like the revenue for the reviewer is going to go down if he quits. He is a volunteer. So either do what you have volunteered for or let someone else do it. I am sure there are lots of people who would enjoy reviewing caches and would not complain they did not have time because they were volunteers!!!

I get tired of hearing the the Reviewers "volunteer" their time and we should respect that.

Wow... So, in your little world, if someone freely gives of themselves, utilizing their spare time, so that others can recreate, we should disrespect that? Hmmm... Lemme think that one over... OK, All done. I'll have to pass on your suggestion. While you are perfectly free to bite the hand that feeds you, most of us are mature enough to recognize that doing such childish things often leads to hunger. Comparing the volunteer minutes required to toss a film can into some Burger King shrubbery with the countless hours spent reviewing caches is idiotic, at best.

Comparing the volunteer minutes required to toss a film can into some Burger King shrubbery with the countless hours spent reviewing caches is idiotic, at best.

I would hope that you spend more time placing a cache than just putting it in a film can and tossing it in a bush. If so, then you are not adding much to the game. In this game you have Reviewers, people who hide caches and people who hunt caches. If any of the three no longer exist, then the game goes away. This game depends on all three of them and not one of the three are more important than the others. So you should respect the one who hides and the one who hunts just as much as the reviewer.

I get tired of hearing the the Reviewers "volunteer" their time and we should respect that. The last time I looked, the people who placed caches and hunted caches "volunteered" their time also. It take all three for this game to exist. If a reviewer does not like what he has to do, then quit. If I did not like looking for caches then I would quit. It's not like the revenue for the reviewer is going to go down if he quits. He is a volunteer. So either do what you have volunteered for or let someone else do it. I am sure there are lots of people who would enjoy reviewing caches and would not complain they did not have time because they were volunteers!!!
Wow! Nice choice of threads to go on an off-topic rant!! I already responded to your new thread about this. I sure don't know why you felt complelled to post the same thing here.

The reason I felt compelled to write these comments is that I just recently began putting out some caches in my area because we were not getting a lot of new ones added. Everytime I put one out, the reviewer would complain that he is a volunteer and did not have time to cut and paste responses back to me. Some of the things I had done wrong were not even listed in any of the guidelines but I made the changes anyway. As someone new to placing caches, you would like a little encouragement instead of so much discourgement. I know it takes time to review caches, but it took me a lot of time buying the materials for the caches, determining a theme for the caches, finding a the appropriate location and then placing it. All I am asking for is an understanding that some people spend more time placing a cahce rather than just throwing one in a bush.

The real fly in the ointment is who is gonna volunteer? this Reviewer forum would need to monitored by some reviewer(s) willing to handle it. I'm guessing the sign up line on that would be short. Really really short.

There are a handful of reviewers who are in the forums fairly regularly, but most of them aren't posting in reviewer capacity much.

Often the questions that are asked here will be very situationally dependant. IE, you'd need a cache page to look at - so now you've got the "forum reviewer" looking at the same cache as the "local reviewer" and commenting publicly? No thanks.

I think Palmetto hits on a real problem with the idea. I do like in theory the idea of a place where people could ask reviewing questions and get answers. But most reviewers are pretty busy already and/or don't post on the forums all that much. Further, as others have pointed out, the best place to get the answer is with the local reviewer who may or may not be reading the forums. Sending an email with questions is likely the best option.

I know that in my capacity as a reviewer I like to be as available as I can be and I try to answer questions that are sent to me as quickly as I can, but even then I often have some lag time in responding. I definitely wouldn't have the time to also monitor another forum and respond there as much as I would like. I also think that it would lessen my enjoyment of interacting in the forums as a regular geocacher. Reviewing takes an awful lot of time, more I think than many realize. So finding volunteers to add even more onto their duties could be a bit difficult.

The real fly in the ointment is who is gonna volunteer? this Reviewer forum would need to monitored by some reviewer(s) willing to handle it. I'm guessing the sign up line on that would be short. Really really short.

There are a handful of reviewers who are in the forums fairly regularly, but most of them aren't posting in reviewer capacity much.

Often the questions that are asked here will be very situationally dependant. IE, you'd need a cache page to look at - so now you've got the "forum reviewer" looking at the same cache as the "local reviewer" and commenting publicly? No thanks.

I think Palmetto hits on a real problem with the idea. I do like in theory the idea of a place where people could ask reviewing questions and get answers. But most reviewers are pretty busy already and/or don't post on the forums all that much. Further, as others have pointed out, the best place to get the answer is with the local reviewer who may or may not be reading the forums. Sending an email with questions is likely the best option.

I know that in my capacity as a reviewer I like to be as available as I can be and I try to answer questions that are sent to me as quickly as I can, but even then I often have some lag time in responding. I definitely wouldn't have the time to also monitor another forum and respond there as much as I would like. I also think that it would lessen my enjoyment of interacting in the forums as a regular geocacher. Reviewing takes an awful lot of time, more I think than many realize. So finding volunteers to add even more onto their duties could be a bit difficult.

Since you are the reviewer in my area, I for one (and the mom of the 6 furrballs) appreciate the hard work that you do. You have tirelessly done what you do to make this game / hobby enjoyable for us, and everyone out here. You have always approved our own caches without question (well, except for the one we just submitted, and that's an easy fix...), and always answered our questions over email in a timely fashion.

So, thank you. I'd sure hate to lose you.

I can see the argument both ways here, but I for one would like to have access to a reviewer either through this forum or through an email address or something. Our reviewer does not make his identity known - nobody knows who it is - and they also do not respond to emails. Myself and others have tried contacting the reviewer outside of "reviewer notes" on a cache submission and get no response. Not even a "sorry, I can't help you with an answer to that question now". I think the guidelines are pretty self explanatory, but since I like to make creative hides that may fall into gray areas, I would like to be able to bend the ear of a reviewer before putting a lot of work into something that may or may not work. I can certainly see how this would be extra burden on reviewers to deal with though and as a volunteer with another organization myself there is most definitely a problem with volunteer burnout on this kind of thing.

Edited by WVangler
I can see the argument both ways here, but I for one would like to have access to a reviewer either through this forum or through an email address or something.

You already do. Go the a cache next to you. Click at the bottom on show all logs. Go to the bottom and you will find the first log is a published log by the reviewer.