Is it okay to be a Good Samaritan?

Desert_Trailblazers

Having recently learned how to properly release TB's and Geocoins with notes of explanation as to what to do with them, and what their missions are, I now have the urge to take coins and TB's that I find, and fix them up with a small ziplock (not puncturing the trackable, of course) and adding a note with instructions.

Seeing as how these are not my trackables, I feel as though, while my intentions are good, maybe this is not proper etiquette? Any comments?

In my opinion, it is an EXCELLENT thing to do. My travel bugs started out in a bag with their bug page, but that is often lost.

Many people won't pick up bugs and coins because they don't want to take them in a direction, or place, contrary to the traveling goals. Putting (or re-putting) them in a protective bag with goal sheet fixes that problem.

All good to know! I feel good thinking I might be contributing to keeping one more trackable from falling off the grid, but I wasn't sure how the owner would feel about it. I know if it was one of my coins I would appreciate someone taking the time to help it out! I found a coin the other day that had been missing for FIVE YEARS! Unbelievable! Just prior to that I found one that had been missing for nine months. I bet in both cases the owners were very happy to see them resurface. Hopefully they will go out into this jungle better prepared for their journeys :)

The idea is great, but I would pair it with a note to the coin/TB owner(s). Not everyone is the same, and while some appreciate the gesture for what it is, others may see it as altering someone else's property.

Personally, a new ziploc bag with a copy of the mission statement would be a welcome addition for my travellers, as long as that's all it is.

The TB/coin spas referenced above will sometimes attach a tag saying that the TB/coin stopped there. There are geocachers who attach their own card, as a way to show their assistance in helping that TB/coin move. I'm not sure these are the same thing. I had one geocacher ask me to remove this extra stuff after I posted a photo of their TB after finding it. There is a thread in the TB forum that address these kind of additions, and if memory serves, the responses were a pretty mixed bag of "Sure, I'll welcome any assistance for my trackables!" and "Don't touch it - I released it the way I wanted it to travel!"

As said above, I think we should apply the golden rule to coins/TBs with a caveat: Do unto other trackables as you would have others do unto yours, but don't do it without attempting to contact them first! :)

When I started sending out TB's everything was an ammo can. It allowed for ziploc bags, tags saying don't keep me, cards with the mission on them. I liked putting passport books on them too. Now the caches are smaller. Some of my original ones have a hard time finding a place for them to fit.

Even coins now a day are getting bigger. When an area only has film canisters, adding even a ziploc bag might make it to big to fit.

I think it is okay to help them, as long as you don't alter them. Clean them a little, replace a bag, reprint a tag that is worn. If circumstances warrant it, add a bag. But don't just add stuff because you can (unless that is part of the mission).

Think about this - if I lived in the southwest and released my coin, the main factor is heat. I might not think it needs to be in a bag. But if the coin ends up in a humid rainy area, that bag might be helpful in protecting it from the elements.

I vary what I release, but I often release coins in flips, sometimes somewhat secured in. The offer decent protection, while still allowing clear viewing; they have an area where I can include a note about handling and missions; and they dont get additionally bulky to take up too much space in a cache.

My TBs tend to have more interesting missions, like collecting and trading attachments.

Never add or remove anything without owner permission.

My travelers are designed to take the wear and tear and don't need anything done it them. If it does need work I would appreciate being contacted so I can repair it to my standards.

and if your traveler is 7000 miles away how would you do that? :)

Never add or remove anything without owner permission.

My travelers are designed to take the wear and tear and don't need anything done it them. If it does need work I would appreciate being contacted so I can repair it to my standards.

and if your traveler is 7000 miles away how would you do that? :)

The same way I always do. You might be surprised how often I work with folks around the world, whether it be my bug or theirs.

I think you're getting good advice here.

From what I've seen in previous posts - the majority of people wouldn't mind a ziplock and a mission sheet printed out and included with their traveler, but most don't want anything attached without permission.

Note that this does not mean that everybody falls into those buckets, but most that have posted here will. If in doubt, drop a quick note to the owner with your intentions and you'll either get a "thanks!" or a polite "no, thanks" in most cases.

There are a few threads about people who attach things to the travelers saying things like "this coin was picked up by <insert cacher name>" and there seemed to be more complaints than kudos, but general TLC is almost always appreciated by your fellow coin owners.

Thanks for looking out for others. Good karma should be coming your way.