Limit on PQs?

Why is there a limit on PQs? I'm not mad (in fact I'm getting a premium membership soon) but if you are paying money for it already shouldn't it be limitless? The only explanation that I can think of are server problems. Does anyone know why? Just curious.

My guess is it has to do with server resources and bandwidth. If it was unlimited, there would be zillions more PQs being run every day. By limiting it to 5, its enough for most cachers and limits the bandwidth. Just my guess...

Why is there a limit on PQs? I'm not mad (in fact I'm getting a premium membership soon) but if you are paying money for it already shouldn't it be limitless? The only explanation that I can think of are server problems. Does anyone know why? Just curious.

My guess is it has to do with server resources and bandwidth. If it was unlimited, there would be zillions more PQs being run every day. By limiting it to 5, its enough for most cachers and limits the bandwidth. Just my guess...

That's what I was thinking.

Another forum error... :D

CGI Error

The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

Do you mean the number of PQs that can run every day or the number of caches in a PQ? I think that's because Groundspeak wouldn't appreciate someone having a complete copy of their database B)

What I find odd is that one can play with, and get the results from, PQs all day every day, its only the auto-generated ones that get packaged and sent to you that have the limits. By play with I mean you can edit a PQ and see the results immediately, and make as many edits as you choose and each time the results are ready in real time. This tells me that the limitation isn't server resources but more likely not wanting to give out too much of their database all at once.

What I find odd is that one can play with, and get the results from, PQs all day every day, its only the auto-generated ones that get packaged and sent to you that have the limits. By play with I mean you can edit a PQ and see the results immediately, and make as many edits as you choose and each time the results are ready in real time. This tells me that the limitation isn't server resources but more likely not wanting to give out too much of their database all at once.

Do you blame them?

The "real-time" results you see just contain the type, size and name. I think it takes a lot more resources to add the full description and 5 log entries.

Still, I'm sure you're right that they don't want people assembling full copies of the DB.

but if you are paying money for it already shouldn't it be limitless?

Based on that analogy buying a basic $30 a month cell phone plan should have limitless minutes wherever in the world you want to call.

Everything is based on what you pay. If the froggie offerred liimitless PQ's per day the price would have to be much higher. And really why do you even need 5. I see people talking about 30,000 or more caches loaded in GSAk for their use and I don't understand. I get the 500 closest to me once a month. it is more than I really need.

I just plan ahead. How often do I need 5 PQs a day?

When getting ready for GW8 I queued up about 15 PQs, centered along my route. I couldn't fit them all in my Oregon 450 at the same time, as the total number of caches would exceed the capacity. So I kept the others, with GPX files named for locations, on a tablet computer and swapped them in and out as needed.

I find that 5 queries once a month covers my home caching range plus 2 that I travel top regularly. If i was going on a road trip I'd do queiry along a route and break it down onto one queiry per day traveled. Besides, after a month there is so much churn (caches going online and offline) that you will prefer an update anyway.