Looking for help on my concept - Quarter Pounder

Guest Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy

Greetings,

I'm about to place my first travel bug, and I was wondering if y'all would be so kind as to read his description at http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=5678 and tell me if you think there's anything wrong with it. He's just your basic bug, but it's possible that he could be carrying a decent amount of money after a while if people follow the directions; is this a bad idea?

I don't have a picture, but he will be one of the 1"x4" tubes for sale at http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32173 and will contain a short page of instructions with his goals.

I haven't determined yet whether his dogtags will be attached to the lid, or just stuck inside the container; they'll probably be attached to the lid.

[This message has been edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy (edited 15 February 2002).]

Guest cottingham

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I'm about to place my first travel bug, and I was wondering if y'all would be so kind as to read his description at http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=5678 and tell me if you think there's anything wrong with it. He's just your basic bug, but it's possible that he could be carrying a decent amount of money after a while if people follow the directions; is this a bad idea?

Sounds okay to me. I suppose there's the risk that it might get plundered, but you're not putting your life savings into it (you're not, are you? :-) and once you release it, you have little to no control over where it goes or what happens to it. So relax and have fun!

I've been thinking about releasing a travel bug similar to this one, but with the goal of collecting foreign money (not necessarily by traveling to foreign countries, but that would be a plus). I'd like to add a stipulation that the collection should only be added to, not removed from, but I'm afraid that would sound too, I don't know, snippy. (See what I wrote above about having little control over a travel bug in the wild. :-)

Guest Markwell

y travel bug action figures are worth more than that.

I think that Geocachers are a pretty honest lot. I doubt that anyone that was an upstanding Geocacher would choose to keep the tub of quarters. That being said - make sure you permanently attach a laminated index card detailing the instructions, so first time cachers don't think - Wow. Free Money.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Markwell

I don't see any problem with this bug. It seems like a neat idea. Don't worry about the amount of cache it could possibly contain, as I doubt it would be more than $5 (25 quarters), and some of my travel bug action figures are worth more than that.

I think that Geocachers are a pretty honest lot. I doubt that anyone that was an upstanding Geocacher would choose to keep the tub of quarters. That being said - make sure you permanently attach a laminated index card detailing the instructions, so first time cachers don't think - Wow. Free Money.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest clatmandu

I agree with what Markwell said about the laminated tag. A lot of people don't know what the word 'travel' in travel bug means. Also mention for the finder to log it in. Many who do understand the work travel place it in another cache but don't enter any logs. Pretty soon it turns up MIA.

Guest Webfoot

quote:
Originally posted by clatmandu:

I agree with what Markwell said about the laminated tag. A lot of people don't know what the word 'travel' in travel bug means. Also mention for the finder to log it in. Many who do understand the work travel place it in another cache but don't enter any logs. Pretty soon it turns up MIA.

That's been probably the most frustrating thing that I've encountered. I've never found a travel bug, yet two have been placed in a cache that I have that I have ready access to. I was unaware that either travel bugs were in the cache until after the fact because they didn't get logged until the next person found it. icon_frown.gif sigh

Guest Webfoot

quote:
Originally posted by clatmandu:

That's been probably the most frustrating thing that I've encountered. I've never found a travel bug, yet two have been placed in a cache that I have that I have ready access to. I was unaware that either travel bugs were in the cache until after the fact because they didn't get logged until the next person found it. icon_frown.gif sigh

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I don't see any problem with this bug. It seems like a neat idea. Don't worry about the amount of cache it could possibly contain, as I doubt it would be more than $5 (25 quarters), and some of my travel bug action figures are worth more than that.

Actually, believe it or not, it could contain somewhere around $12-15 if it were entirely full. I'm starting it out with $3.50 in assorted quarters (and 12 different states) and it's not even close to full, and I'm not assuming too much risk.

quote:

Since it's a transparent tube and I have a little (but not much!) extra space to play with inside, I've created a sheet to tape to the inside of the container that explains what it is, where to log it, and what its goals are, as well as its ID number in case the tag should go missing. The container itself is mostly watertight, but I'm going to use some silicone to close up any remaining gaps (frex, the holes I punched in the top to attach the bug, which is attached with a keyring rather than with the supplied chain.)

Well, here I am reviving an old thread. It looks like the experiment was unsuccessful. Someone seems to have stolen Quarter Pounder. I do hope they realize that they didn't just steal a bunch of quarters, they stole a complete collection - one of every state quarter that's been issued so far.

I don't get it... who uses a $100+ GPS receiver to steal $4 worth of quarters?

warm.gif