Newbie who could use a little help.....please.

gatorfan96

Thanks for the replys......No I have to figure out how to download and use Gsak.
Actually, you won't really need a macro to add D/T ratings and (part of) the hint to the '60. But you will want to tweek a couple of things.

Under the GPS/Send Waypoints to GPS menu option (which is how you will dump your PQ to the unit), there will be three things you'll want to change (these are my preferences, a good place to start with). These will make sense once you get GSAK.

1) In the Waypoint Name box, change to %smart

2) In the Waypoint Description Format box, change to %code %Dif/%Ter %con %hint

3) Change Maximum Characters to 40 (I don't really know how many characters it will take, but I do know that the default value is too low. It won't hurt to go higher.)

For an explaination to what all those "%" things mean, and how you can customize the output to your own liking, see "Special Tags" in the help file.

Note that you won't always get the full hint, depending on how long the hint is.

Edited by knowschad

I also have a GPSMAP 60CSx, and love it. I tried the macro, but the GPS'r doesn't hold enough information. I recently purchased a PDA (Dell Axim 5) for $35 on Amazon. There are a lot of Palm products that are also available and very reasonable. I purchased Cachemate software from smittyware for $8. I also use GSAK which is very easy to use and is a great tool for us cachers. Yes I carry two small pieces of equipment with me but the information in the PDA is worth it. It is basically like looking at the Geocache Details page on my computer. If I want a satellite map picture like the one available on the Geocache Details page I use the Snipping tool in Vista to capture the image and I send it to the PDA.

Be safe, happy hunting and most of all have fun.

Edited by randco

If I want a satellite map picture like the one available on the Geocache Details page I use the Snipping tool in Vista to capture the image and I send it to the PDA.

For those without VISTA, use GSAK. With GSAK running in the background, you can get a full screen snapshot of any page by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-F10. This will save it to your desktop, and you can then send it to your PDA.

GSAK macro for POI info to GPS

I sent the info twice. A lot of other cachers do too.

1 Send the GPX info to GPS.

2 Send as POI to GPS

Whilst caching use the Geocache GPX info.

If you need to read at the site/need the hint, press Find 'nearest' then you get the cache info/hint.

I know a few people who do this. The comment field in the POI I think is 80 characters which should be enough for most hints.