Great SA 2011 TB Race.

BruceTP

Whoop whoop - Thanks to all who voted for Undercover Ginger's photos!!

We had so much fun thinking out poses for the little girl TB at every cache. Almost became a ritual: cache ping, deviate off main route, stop, find cache, sign log, take photo of Undercover Ginger, replace, leave. :)

Was almost sad to let her go to travel with other cachers. :)

Edited by Team Ginger

Thank you for your patience. The dust seems to have settled and life has almost calmed down to just being frenetic.

With B&C's help, I am now able to publish the provisional, unaudited scores as at 24 January. It certainly makes for some interesting reading.

So with no surprises on the local front, it is congratulations to MadSons' Sylvester Sea Turtle TB3MZK4 with 2448 points. :D

But, on the international front, a newcomer has come in and taken the lead: a sterling performance from JPMZA's Racing Subaru Impreza WRC TB3MZE5 at 1619 points. :D

Keep a look out for photographs to nominate for January.

So, until next time, enjoy the race.

Edited by BruceTP

Hi Bruce

Thank you for reminding us of the cut-off for voting for the best photos for January. We vote the following:

1. Zakumi of Macaddikt

ff3a5803-da3f-4dbf-b87e-f991dd21456f.jpg

We liked this one a lot. Little Zakumi in the hands of a kid - how it should be. Love his face, squinting because of the light. The background is beautiful, a typical South African country landscape. Well Done to Pauline2010 for taking the pic.

2. Simba of M2C2

74d71166-ff10-4a1c-b476-d05753a9969b.jpg

A great pic - looks like little Simba is being trampled on by Mandela's foot and he is thus not so "free"...a great play on words from the cache name and the way the photo has been taken.

We may have some more...we are still checking things out!

Cheers

GEO936

Edited by GEO936

Another vote for the January pics:

Arabia to Africa of Carbon Hunter

c65ac08c-93fc-47a3-8675-b14695b8590b.jpg

We love the composition of this shot - the rolling dark clouds above the hill, the dark grey water of the dam reflecting the cloud cover and the lime green grass with the off the beaten track tracks....it looks really peaceful at this spot.

Eish! This month is difficult... I'd say the one I like most is...

76443508-bd07-4871-b304-3927ff2f6801.jpg

as it is one of the clearest and brightest on the album page, it has great depth and also says "I'd like to be there!" the loudest.

I agree and I have still not come up with a definitive result.

I do like the above entry but if you consider that then Bout's entry also deserves recognition as it is well composed and good use of depth of field. So any takers on:

ec37c7aa-825d-4f8b-bf36-f34911e8aecb.jpg

In the mean time, I have published, thanks to B&C, the latest scores. Sorry for the delay.

After much thought and consideration and with no further comments forthcoming, I have decided to go with Zakumi of Macaddikt. The innocence of youth, the coy expression is encapsulated in the imagery of the photograph. Zakumi was officially born on Youth day 1994 (16 June 1994) and this emblem and its future in the race is in the hands of a child.

ff3a5803-da3f-4dbf-b87e-f991dd21456f.jpg

Congratulations to Macaddikt on your 10 bonus points.

The latest scores and photos for February have been published. Interesting - Madsons position at number one has been usurped by an outsider! <_< Well done to "Great SA TB Race 2011 - Man on the Move" of g.i.s. who has moved onto the overall lead. :D In all fairness, though, Madsons' "Sylvester Sea Turtle" still leads in the local category.

Well done to all the TB's who moved in the month of February, especially those who posed for the photo of the month competition. B)

Please view all the photos and choose which one you feel should be the winner for February. :)

Thank you to everyone who has sent birthday wishes either by phone, e-mail, SMS, Skype and even this forum thread. It is much appreciated. The highlight of my birthday will still be the great event bash we had on Saturday. That was really special to have my caching friends come and celebrate with me. Everything turned out better that I had expected. So watch this space.... Maybe I shall do an encore for the Big one next year. I already have sone ideas brewing.

But back to reality... Go to the Race website and see all the photographs and get voting. Some of them are really good. February photos

I would like to suggest this photo taken by Corne (The C in B and C team) as a runner for the pic of the month for March. I thought it came out quite nicely.[:D]

541ce35d-39b8-4093-95de-670e7d6fc20d.jpg

This picture was take the "Fort Schanskop" cache and the "Trokkie" is ridding up the shoulder of the statue of Danie Theron found at the top of the hill.

The mid month scores for march have been published. No real surprises or upsets there.

Check your TB's score and position Here

Congratulations to Skyjuggler who took February's photo of the month of Rhino and Hedgehog's Hard Hat Harry at Snoopy Heights. There were some really good photographs this month and I agree with those who voted for this one as it has that artistic flair to it especially in the sepia tones and composition. So well done to Hard Hat Harry.

Keep the photos coming for March.

February Winner

a1a746c9-e6e2-42c6-baff-b172b30d12e9.jpg

Wahoo!!! This is my first win in an international photo competition...

I'd like to thank my mom for all those years etc etc...

Glad you guys like the shot. The Hard hat is actually balancing on a piece of grass that I hijacked from some nearby thatch. Behind the lens I'm praying that the wind won't blow again while the shutter was open.

The island in the background is called Snoopy Island, from certain angles, it looks like Snoopy lying on his back.

Good luck to all the racers...

I like to see a prize for the TB which got stuck in a cache the longest... :cry: 148/182 days (more than 80% of the racing time!) and counting... Maybe Don't come knockin' was not such a good choice as a name for a racing TB...

In contrast I must say the efforts by some local cachers with "I'm a rock" are amazing! Thanks to everyone who makes this a fun game! My hat off to you!

I like to see a prize for the TB which got stuck in a cache the longest... :cry: 148/182 days (more than 80% of the racing time!) and counting... Maybe Don't come knockin' was not such a good choice as a name for a racing TB...

Thanks for sponsoring it! :anitongue: I may well be in line for that prize too! The racing motorcycle has been stuck for 140 days now.

Thanks for sponsoring it! :anitongue: I may well be in line for that prize too! The racing motorcycle has been stuck for 140 days now.

Bruce - give us some stats on the straglers and the MIA's please.

Bruce - give us some stats on the straglers and the MIA's please.

Sorry for the delay. Since the changes to the GC website were made I experienced some difficulty in extracting accurate figures. Thanks to B&C who came to the rescue again I think I have a more accurate reflection of the scores as of today. If any of you are keeping your own personal tallies and there is a discrepancy or if I have missed out on your collection of FTFs, then please drop me a PM so that I can update the score sheet accordingly.

We are approaching the half way mark so keep the TBs moving. A lot can still happen in the second half. :unsure:

I must have missed something then. I thought you always chose the nominations :huh:

I rely on members of the community to nominate and find photographs which they feel as worthy nominations. May was a quiet month and yet there were still 247 potential photos from which to choose. It makes my job much easier when people come across a photograph which I may well miss but which just capture the essence of the cache of even the TB at the cache. In fact, the February winner I had not picked up on at all and it was only when someone sent it to me to consider that I realised it was there. As it turns out it was a very good photo and was voted the winner by the community thereafter.

So please, if you find a stunning photo on a TB listing for a particular month, draw it to my attention and I shall post it in the album.

I hate to have to inform you that my race TB is probably out of the race...

It was last logged in March into a cache that I now see has been found to be missing and since replaced by the owner and moved to a new location. I missed this, so I suppose I can thus assume my TB was given to some little person to play with somewhere out there.

I was so hoping that cutie Undercover Ginger was taken by one of the geocachers before the cache had gone awol and just not logged yet - but I guess after 3 months I should give up hope.

I am sad about this, Undercover Ginger shared in so many of our wonderful December holiday experiences. I should never have allowed her to travel by herself! ;-(

So Bruce, another MIA racer and Team Ginger out of the race (again).... oh well <sigh> that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess!

For the least distance travelled our Travelling Care Bear must be the favourite. It was taken from the KZN event but never placed in a cache. I have written to the cacher who has logged it but no reply. We are having fun moving some of the other TB's about.

307460054' post='4734874']

1. I have written to the cacher who has logged it but no reply. 2. We are having fun moving some of the other TB's about.

1. Doesn't this just %$^ you off?!! If you CHOOSE to play along - DO it or stay out from the start!

2. Indeed! As my TB is on the receiving end of your "longing for satisfaction" :yikes: [/font] I'm very happy... THANKS again! I'm a rock definitely has the most non-owner miles on it (Bruce I'm going to make up categories until I win something... :ph34r:).

THANKS again! I'm a rock definitely has the most non-owner miles on it (Bruce I'm going to make up categories until I win something... :ph34r:).

I think that is a great idea - It will give all the non dipped TBs a fighting chance.

I agree with the different categories (not only local and international) for measurement of achievement. I've entered two TB's, and beforehand decided that I'm going to hold on to one, and realease one. The one I'm holding onto is doing much better (according to the current criteria) than the other because an inexperienced cacher dropped it into a cache that hardly ever get's visited.... :unsure: .. I just think that we must take note of these suggestions and incorporate them into a future race. I do enjoy the race, it's lots of fun for now (but then both my TB's is still somewhere and I am still competing, I most probably wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if they were missing by this time)...though and thanks again for Bruce for making it possible... :laughing:

Decisions, decisions - The race for May is down to three:

1 b91e10ab-9174-4edc-a406-5c31f8f7adf1.jpg or 2 9a909888-dd4d-4a22-9d57-03c3d95bc179.jpg or 3 e546b6c0-a18b-4325-97c3-09357e91cd78.jpg

The view in the first is impressive.

The second one has received votes and although it is impressive, I wonder how much of that is due to photoshop?

The third one has captured the imagination of some because of the pose of Sylveser in a cup at a "quick cuppa" event.

The jury is out - What is the decision?

Edited by BruceTP

Congratulations go to MnCo for his winning photo of Baja 4x4 Racer at the Valley of Desolation:

May 2011 photo of the month winner. :antenna:

b91e10ab-9174-4edc-a406-5c31f8f7adf1.jpg

The race is now past the half way mark and the unaudited score sheet has been published. It does make interesting reading. I had to take a double take when I saw that Zakumi has travelled 96624km just short of double that of his nearest rival. The total distance travelled collectively is 1,38 million km. Just think that is nearly 3,5 times to the moon to view eclipse from another perspective.

Well done to all the racers and all the best for the second half. :D

Sorry for the delay, but the photographs for June have been published. Have a look and nominate your favourite.

The scores are published and I am sure there are FTFs which have not been noted. You know which ones of yours were FTF so please update me if the point allocation is wrong.

Roll on August and hopefully a little warmer weather.

Thanks for the interest thus far. Keep the preferences coming. I shall close the voting on Wednesday 20 July @ 23:00 and announce the winner.

So far the main nominees are :

Baja :69206951-d28e-421e-b94f-6d997b0b96bc.jpg

I am a Rock : dd9db599-ed7d-418e-b7eb-877f027967eb.jpg

Sylvester : c50fac35-312a-4c53-9a6d-ee8692c93a79.jpg

Feel free to select others as well.