Great SA 2011 TB Race.

BruceTP

BTW, Bruce, you've only added one of my two to the website so far - TB29VB6 Randy Racer is ready to race too. :unsure:

Apologies - I added it to the contestant photo gallery but not the list.

I shall sort it out this evening.

Thanks for pointing it out. At the moment the site is still a "proof of concept" and I am sure there will be more bugs other than travelling ones to iron out before the race begins in earnest.

Edited by BruceTP

Ok it took us while to get hold of the forum:), but at least we are in. I still have to discuss this with Corne, but we found a new TB in one of the recent caches, and was planning to let it start on its journey with the new caches that we are planning to release pretty soon. I think this race should be a more appropriate starting point so, we will most probably also enter one. Will hurry!!!

ps. Bruce I think your site looks great!!! A great attempt for a first time web-site!!!

Greetings Barry

Love to join the race but it looks like I was sleeping to late... No TB available till end of November...hopefully it will arrive in time!!!

Good excuse for a party, Rip von Winkel! Maybe you could organise a Johannesburg event some time in December for the latecomers who were not able to launch their TBs in Pretoria.

Love to join the race but it looks like I was sleeping to late... No TB available till end of November...hopefully it will arrive in time!!!

For those Gautengers who may be still asleep - All is not lost. Here is an opportunity to get up early on a Saturday morning and come to an event to launch your TB, especially is you were not able to get you TB tags in time for the other events: Breakfast At Uncle Scrooge Palace 10 December 2010 : 08:00 :P

For those Gautengers who may be still asleep - All is not lost. Here is an opportunity to get up early on a Saturday morning and come to an event to launch your TB, especially is you were not able to get you TB tags in time for the other events: Breakfast At Uncle Scrooge Palace 11 December 2010 : 08:00 :P

Edited by Team_vdlo

One or two people have posted that they have some difficulty getting TB tags.

I don't know where you usually get such items from but I just thought I'd mention that the UK online shop GeoTees have a good selection of various TB tags and a reputation for speedy service. I checked with one of the guys there and and he said that they have sent stuff to SA before. Items usually take about a week to arrive.

MrsB

Surprise! :D

The early birds who have logged their race TBs into an event and/or who have already posted photographs of them are already scoring points for their TBs in anticipation of the start. :P

Check the scores here Great SA 2011 TB Race Scores :blink:

Thanks to those who have entered so far. :D

Wonderful

Thanks for the reminder. I see one of my TB's didn't have a photo - remedied :D

I'm keen to join and am preparing my TBs for the Cape Town event! This is my first TB Race, and I haven't followed any in the past, so if someone could clear something up for me:

For the International TB, can I send it to someone via mail overseas (and then they pick it up there and continue the race)? Or does it have to get overseas through someone else (not me or mail)?

The photo competition - what is it based on (criteria)?

Thanks for organizing!

For the International TB, can I send it to someone via mail overseas (and then they pick it up there and continue the race)? Or does it have to get overseas through someone else (not me or mail)?

The photo competition - what is it based on (criteria)?

Thanks for organizing!

Basically, the only criterion is that the TB is launched from an event in South Africa from end November and throughout December 2010. After that, it is pretty much open season. Is you have designated that your TB would like to travel internationally and someone picks it up and posts it to a friend overseas - so much the better. Otherwise you have to wait for a cacher here to go overseas and drop it in a cache wherever.

Photos: I am no expert in judging photos but I shall solicit those who do. But what I am looking for is a photo of the TB at the cache capturing the spirit of the game and showing off where it has been and with whom it has been in contact. Last year's race produced some interesting shots of the TB with various animals it encountered long the way.

I hope this clears it up. :blink:

PS.

I shall try and locate last year's monthly winners and put them in the album to give you an example of what is looked for in photographs. :P

Our mini racer 'In My Brmmm Brmmm Car' just entered the line-up

at the Fine Wine 3 event.

thanks to JustinDett for the help getting race-ready!

Brmmm!

adf79860-6f6d-48a5-8210-a24f0c9dea5c.jpg

Welcome!!

So pleased to see you are on the starting line. Would really have liked to have to met you at the Event Cache but unfortunately we really do not have any more space to accommodate cachers.

Will see to it that your TB will have an laminated card attached to it informing fellow geocachers that it is in the 2011 race. Go well!

We will be moving up north at the start of Feb.

Anyone who would like TB's moved on - please place them in a cache near to us. Years gone by we had to dash to the slopes of 'The Sentinel' to move TB's on.

We live in the wonderful Northern suburbs of Cape Town, so please place any TB's wanting to travel in spots where we can get to them fairly easily!! .... Go Durbanville Go!!

Welcome!!

So pleased to see you are on the starting line.

Indeed, Welcome!

That brings the total entrants thus far to 27. Keep them coming. <_<

I'm still waiting for TB's from our good friends SawaSawa, Gr8Scot and Hesamati to be logged in to the Event Cache of the 5th Dec. I believe there may be one on the way from TinyTigger as well. Travel well all TB's from the Western Cape!

With just one day to go to the official launch of the TB Race I am delighted with the response:

23 Entrants from Gauteng

18 from the Western Cape

2 from KZN

I am sure the numbers will grow at the events when people bring more.

This race is going to be quite something.... :lol:

Eish!!! And what happened to the 2 from Qatar and 2 from UAE? :rolleyes: Those are ones that I know of - maybe there are more overseas entrants.

The start of the race is upon us, and with 46 already on the grid and given that I'm sure there will be a few last minute entries, it looks like a record number of entries for this years TB race.

For anyone that is interested, I have set up two "races", in conjunction with BruceTP, on tb-run for those wanting to check on distance travelled or current location of the competitors, between updates to the Official Race Scores.

Currently, all racers are listed in the "Local" category

2011 Great SA TB Race » Local Racers

but as soon as a racer becomes "International", I'll move it over to a second listing

2011 Great SA TB Race » International Racers

This will make it easier to compare your distance to competitors in the same category.

Good luck to everyone and may your bugs travel well and none go MIA

Indeed, MnCo, the race is on. It is 400 days to the end. The first event tomorrow seems that it is going to be great fun with close to 50 people coming thus far. I am sure more will pitch on the day and no doubt the number of TBs will increase. This means that we will have exceeded last year's entrant total. Wow! :cool:

I am certainly going to need an independent adjudicator to keep me on my toes keeping track of all of them.

Thanks to MnCo for your contribution in setting up the other race tracking.

I may not be able to update my scoreboard as frequently as those sites, so just bear with me. :lol:

May I therefore wish each and every entrant Godspeed and safe travel. To both TB and cacher alike have fun and may the best TB and team win. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for TB's from our good friends SawaSawa, Gr8Scot and Hesamati to be logged in to the Event Cache of the 5th Dec. I believe there may be one on the way from TinyTigger as well. Travel well all TB's from the Western Cape!

Our TB's tags were posted from Gauteng on Friday 26th, so I hope that they get to us by next Sunday! Not very confident, as something posted last Friday via the same service still hasn't got here. :laughing: What happens if they don't make it in time for the start at the event? Can we start late?

Edited by Gr8Scot

Our TB's tags were posted from Gauteng on Friday 26th, so I hope that they get to us by next Sunday! Not very confident, as something posted last Friday via the same service still hasn't got here. :laughing: What happens if they don't make it in time for the start at the event? Can we start late?

What a good excuse to organise another event! Get some cachers together after work one day, have a chat, exchange some caching stories while quaffing some fine wine and launch your TB from there! :)

If there are any Gautengers who can't make tomorrow's event there is the "QC X - December 2010 - Mall @ Reds" event (GC2J7QK) on the 15th of December. :rolleyes:

Great to see so many racers and to see that last year's record has been broken. :rolleyes: Looking forward to this race as my racer from last year is STILL lying in a cache on the top of an insignificant mountain in the southern Free State!! Been there for longer than a year now. :laughing: It seems as though it is destined to languish there forever - unless some kind cacher goes up the mountain to rescue it. :)

Good luck to all the racers - pity that we cannot be at any of the launch sites to see them off.

Edited by cincol

Another alternative would be to place another order but pay the overnight fee for that one. If you place it over the weekend and then drop W@lly an email to confirm receipt of the order and to give you the tracking number, and you should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

I did this last year as I only heard about the race at the last minute. Except in that case the start was also in Gauteng, so I had to quickly assemble the TBs and then overnighted them back up to Gauteng to be placed in the event

If you concerned about the extra TB's you might end up with, I'll be happy to take one or two off your hands [:rolleyes:]

Edited by MnCo

We will enter one Racer at the Event tomorrow and then the other two we have at the Event at Scrooge. We are struggling to get the TB tags we have activated. We purchased them over a year ago, and now the activation codes don't work. We tried emailing the place where we bought them from, but with Thanksgiving on Thurs, seems like the entire States has taken a long weekend off! We really hope to get this sorted asap.

Can you believe it? We are alredy into December 2010! :D

That means that the provisional results for November have been published. :)

Further logs may still come in to affect the scores, but please check that your details are correct, especially the mission and goal.

Please report any discrepancies to me and I shall correct them. After entering the spreadsheet I could hardly see straight - partly due to the lateness of the hour and also it is a manual action and I have to go into each and every listing to compile the scores.

Well done to JMPZA's Racing Subaru for being the first FTF recipient.

Both Shark Racer - 2011 Great SA TB Race and B and C Inc's Trokkie are in the lead with 63 points. :cool:

Remember, there are still five more events to launch your TBs. Keep them coming. :D

Edited by BruceTP