Great SA 2011 TB Race.

BruceTP

A year has come and gone. The Soccer World Cup is but a distant memory. With that came the end of the 2009 Great South African TB Race. It was the first TB race I had participated in and I enjoyed keeping track of all the various TBs and coins, including my own which seemed to languish in the Western Cape interminably. :)

I think it is therefore right and fitting to thank to cincol for acting as adjudicator, mediator and coordinator of the race especially from a distance. It took a lot of work from your side and it was greatly appreciated. Thanks to the Damhuisclan for making it easy to keep up to date and track the TBs from your website. We all had a lot of fun. There was much to celebrate in at the "The 2009 Great SA TB Race - Chequered Flag" (GC27MX6) event hosted by GEO936 on 31 July 2010. Thank you for the hard work you put into hosting this even as well as the "The BIG Kick-Off for The 2009 Great SA TB Race" (GC1QXCC) held on 31 May 2009. :D:lol:

Thank you too, to cincol and GEO936 for the donations of the Geocoin prizes. I am sure all the winners will cherish their achievements through their coins. I think all the racers did well and to all the winners, congratulations. :)

With a little coercion and twisting of the arm I was nominated to run with "The 2011 Great SA TB Race" . I would be happy to take up the cudgels and run with the idea unless there is someone else out there in the geocaching community who feels that they have been called to the task. It is going to be a time-consuming undertaking and I may have to press gang some of you into assisting where necessary if the flood of volunteers fails to bash down the door. :cool:

1) My idea was to keep it simple with as few rules as possible and launch it in November 2010 with an event or multiple in the various regions so as to get maximum milage out of the travelers over the summer caching season. B)

2) Entry is open to all and will start on a date as yet to be decided in November 2010. Provided it is an activated TB with no logs prior to the inception date it can be launched anywhere (preferably at an event.) To be considered you would need to send me the detail of the TB/coin ahead of time including a photograph of it for the website. In light of the fact that 2011 is the 10th anniversary of caching in South africa, It would be nice to have the TBs on either a time related or South African theme (optional). :)

3) The race would then run through to 31 December 2011.

4) There would be two categories of TB - Local and International for distance travelled.

4) Most caches visited.

5) Dipping allowed provided only it is the first time you are visiting the cache (thus catering for the plethora of micros in the nether regions. (I wonder why? :D:) ) You may, however, leave it in a previously visited cache.

6) The only additional points will be given to all photographs of the TB up to a maximum per visit. All photographs will be considered for the monthly winner who will then receive a bonus.

Other than that, it will be open season for travelers, TBs and geocoins to go far and wide and see our country and world. :)

Disclaimer:

The judges decision is final but all correspondence will be appreciated and entered into. :)

2) In light of the fact that 2011 is the 10th anniversary of caching in South africa, It would be nice to have the TBs on either a time related or South African theme (optional). :)

The first South-African cache GCZA01 (GC163) contained a Navision Software Wristwatch, which I think will just be perfect!

Cannot think of a better opportunity to set it free, after being in my swag-bag for almost ten! years.

2) In light of the fact that 2011 is the 10th anniversary of caching in South africa, It would be nice to have the TBs on either a time related or South African theme (optional). :)

The first South-African cache GCZA01 (GC163) contained a Navision Software Wristwatch, which I think will just be perfect!

Cannot think of a better opportunity to set it free, after being in my swag-bag for almost ten! years.

Wow - how about resurrecting this cache for the race? Any chance of that? GPSFrodo would just need to pass it over for adoption? Or am I thinking too simply in terms of GS.com rules?

BTW: Bruce - count me in with 2 Travellers.

Wow - how about resurrecting this cache for the race? Any chance of that? GPSFrodo would just need to pass it over for adoption? Or am I thinking too simply in terms of GS.com rules?

Carbon Hunter,

I also thought along those lines, but ran into some problems:

It is on private property, and the farm was sold twice since 2001. I had the name of the current farm owner, but never bothered to contact him for permission, since his workers are staying really close to the original spot.

Also, GS does not allow unarchiving a cache for the purpose of adopting by someone else.

As you see, I tried, but eventually just placed GCZA01.2 (GC1RNAY)

Things are happening: :P

We have thus far:

1) The Sandpit Christmas Event scheduled for 04 December 2010 organised by DiePienaars and

2) a Johannesburg event by Sonsoekster for either 28 November or 5 December 2010.

After the events may I ask the organiser of each to forward me a list of the Race entrants and if possible, a photograph of each TB (maybe even a group photograph of all at the starting line!) for me to enter on the official list of entrants so that we can track them on the website from then onwards.

May I encourage cachers from other regions, if you are organising a year end bash / Christmas event to consider dovetailing it with the launch of the "Great SA 2011 TB Race". Thus TBs from your region will have a launch platform for the year ahead.

Please ensure that the goal of each TB is clearly stated as well. If you want it to travel internationally or just locally must be stipulated in the listing.

If overseas cachers would like to enter and have a TB circulate in our beautiful country, you are welcome to forward it to the organiser of the event of your choice and they will ensure it gets the necessary fanfare and sendoff!

In the mean time ensure you have necessary stock of dog tag TBs so that there isn't a mad rush at the end. :D

Count me in. I'll be entering a bug or two.

@BruceTP

You could consider using TB-Run to take care of the basic tracking for the race, to take some of the pressure off. I know it might not look as glamorous as the work done by cincol & DamhuisClan in the last race, but it would be less time consuming.

@BruceTP

You could consider using TB-Run to take care of the basic tracking for the race, to take some of the pressure off. I know it might not look as glamorous as the work done by cincol & DamhuisClan in the last race, but it would be less time consuming.

Thanks, I shall look into that because as you say, re-inventing the wheel is a time consuming exercise.

At the Spring event last Friday evening, DamhuisClan was explaining all the hoops I have to go through just to register the new domain before anything else happens.

Irrespective, I look forward to having your TB-racers in the race. :laughing:

My 2 TB's have been activated and "dressed" for the race. They will be hand delivered to South Africa next week and then on to BruceTP for safe keeping until release.

Yes, I am also eagerly awaiting the official start date announcement and what the rules will be - although who really cares about the rules anyway :anitongue: once the TB leaves your hands you have very little control as to where it goes, etc. That is what is exciting about a TB Race - it is controlled by people you do not know and you do not know where they will be going to next. It could be the Western Cape or Western Samoa - you just don't know!

Let's get those TB's to Bruce so that the fun can begin - less than 2 months to go to anticipated start. :anitongue:

Edited by cincol

Things seem to be happening then. :lol:

I look forward to receiving the TBs and coins ready for the start. I think that besides the rules as outlined in the first post on this thead, and seeing that it is the "Great SA 2011 TB Race" all racers should start at some point in South Africa, preferably at an event where many can be released together in a grand send off.

I agree that once a racer is out there it is at the mercy of the caching community and all the best intent to try and govern the scope and mission of the racer goes by the wayside. So I am trying to keep the rules simple to make the administration of the race easier. At the end of the day it is about having fun and seeing how far everybody else's racers are going and what stories they are picking up on the way.

So let us see if we can break last years record and have 60 or even 70 racers out there competing. :lol:

Looking good

I will also have 2 - or perhaps 3 (?) racers in SA next week.

Just have to figure out to get them from a muggle in Orange Grove or Linden to a cacher to take to the event :grin:

Anyone live or travel through these areas regularly?

Hi Grant....I don't mind to pop round to Orange Grove or Linden. Send me the details and let me know when I should go round. I am very familiar with Orange Grove having had family live there for years and Linden is just up the road from where we live. Best regards Silvia

Looking good

I will also have 2 - or perhaps 3 (?) racers in SA next week.

Just have to figure out to get them from a muggle in Orange Grove or Linden to a cacher to take to the event B)

Anyone live or travel through these areas regularly?

Hi Grant....I don't mind to pop round to Orange Grove or Linden. Send me the details and let me know when I should go round. I am very familiar with Orange Grove having had family live there for years and Linden is just up the road from where we live. Best regards Silvia

Thanks a million - I sent the details to you

Hi folks

I'd like to enter a TB in your race, please, as I did last year. Obviously I won't be able to attend the Start Event so would someone who "intends to attend" be willing to email me their postal address so that they can receive a TB from me and drop it at the event?

Thanks

MrsB

I'd be happy to help you. We just have to figure out where we'll start from...

My TB's are ready to go. Just awaiting final information on rules and start location. There was some talk earlier of having multiple start locations, but if I need to send them somewhere, please let me know.

MnCo are you going to organise a Western Cape event for this...? Will transfer the possible event discussion to the Fynbos forum.

MnCo are you going to organise a Western Cape event for this...? Will transfer the possible event discussion to the Fynbos forum.

Let's see what the plan is first. As far as I'm aware, we don't have a confirmed start date yet.

Do we have any idea how many CT cachers intend entering bugs?

Hi folks

I'd like to enter a TB in your race, please, as I did last year. Obviously I won't be able to attend the Start Event so would someone who "intends to attend" be willing to email me their postal address so that they can receive a TB from me and drop it at the event?

Thanks

MrsB

I'd be happy to help you. We just have to figure out where we'll start from...

Thanks for offering, Hesamati, but Jors emailed me his address first and I'll send my TB to him soon.

I just need to know whether to attach some laminated tag with special instruction before mailing it. If it's just simply going to be most mileage + extra points for pics added to logs then that's easy enough. I'll just wait a while and see if there's anything else I need to put on it.

MrsB

The final details are going to be released shortly. I am just awaiting feedback from the legal eagles and other cachers whom I sent the first draft of rules, terms and conditions. Besides the point allocation the guidelines are little changed from those in the first posting on this thread.

Great SA 2011 TB Race

Before you know it, 2011 will be upon us. It is therefore time to clarify the rules and lay down the foundation for the race. I am pleased that there is already an interest in the race and that some TBs are ready to start.

I have not had that much input as to the rules or suggestions so the following guidelines are my own musings and still open for comment.

Rules

1) To get maximum exposure to the race a TB or trackable coin (hereinafter referred to as “the trackable”) may be entered at any event held in South Africa from 27 November 2010 onwards. Entries will close on 31 December 2010. Thus the total duration of the race is a maximum 400 days! (See note 1)

2) There is no limit to the number of trackables per team.

3) The trackable should have no distance history prior to being logged into the event.

4) Please send me a confirmation with its tracking number so that I can track it too.

5) Please state your desired / preferred mission for the trackable on its listing – whether to travel locally or internationally. (See note 2)

6) If possible, post a photograph of the trackable on its listing page. It would be good to also show a photo of the event from which it was launched too.

7) It will be up to the coordinator of the event to make sure that all Race trackables are either taken at the event or placed in a suitable cache thereafter.

8) The race will conclude on 31 December 2011.

9) The winners will be announced at a suitable New Year’s bash event to be held in early 2012. :rolleyes:

1) Points will be awarded for distance travelled: Local / international

* Local : 1 point for every 100 GC km travelled.

* International : 1 point for every 100 GC km travelled as well but then classed as international.

2) Provided it is your first time visit to a cache, 5 points will be awarded unless it is an FTF in which case it will be 10.

3) You may however, leave the trackable in a previously visited cache.

4) For every different cacher who picks up the trackable and moves it to another cache, and additional 5 points will be awarded.

5) If a logged visit is accompanied by one or more photographs showing the trackable at the cache 5 points will be awarded per occasion the trackable is placed in or retrieved from a cache and logged accordingly.

6) All photographs nominated by means of a posting on this forum will be judged and the winning monthly photograph will gain an additional 10 points for the traveller.

7) I shall endeavour to publish the scores in the form of a spreadsheet on this forum twice a month with any further information which may be deemed necessary like the result of the photograph of the month competition.

Notes

1) The distance calculated would be that as reflected on the trackable listing page and the starting point will be from whichever event the trackable started within the given registration period.

2) Although your desired intention for your trackable may be local or international, it is difficult to ensure that it remains so. Thus as soon as a trackable leaves SA, it will be deemed to be international from a distance calculation perspective. There will be two separate prizes for the winners of each category.

The above suggestion are open to comment. If I don't hear from you, then this is it!

Let the Great SA 2011 TB Race begin. :)

Edited by BruceTP

1) Points will be awarded for distance travelled: Local / international

* Local : 1 point for every 100 GC km travelled.

* International : 1 point for every 100 GC km travelled as well but then classed as international.

The only thing I'm a bit fuzzy on is the local/international designation. Because we have no control over trackables once they start, surely all trackables should be designated as local until such time as they travel internationally. If a trackable is designated international and it ends up never leaving SA, that puts it at a significant disadvantage in distance against others that have travelled internationally. A disadvantage not shared with local travellers which automatically change designation only after having travelled overseas. It seems to me that this means everyone is going to designate their trackables as local anyway. Or did I miss something here?

Good news : The first of the TBs have been registered. Keep them coming. Maybe we can break last year's record of 47. :rolleyes:

Description /
Reference

1. cincol's Racing Polly the Parrot / TB3FPVK
  2. Dewald's Racing Bonobo the Monkey / TB3FVQY
  3. Happy Little Family TB (SA Racer 2011) / TB2JN89
  4. Family of 4 - SA Racer 2011 (ZA) / TB36H5A
  5. Arabia to Africa and Anywhere Else Coin - SA Racer 2011 (ZA) / TB3R45B

....Or did I miss something here?

See Note 2

Irrespective of what the intended goal of the TB states, the trackable will be considered local until such time as it actually leaves SA. Then it will be put on the international list. I trust that this clarifies the fuzziness. :rolleyes:

See Note 2

Irrespective of what the intended goal of the TB states, the trackable will be considered local until such time as it actually leaves SA. Then it will be put on the international list. I trust that this clarifies the fuzziness. :rolleyes:

Yes, thats fine. I just wasn't clear on what would happen in the case a trackable was designated international by the owner, prior to the race, but never actually went outside SA.

2) Is dipping allowed?

In terms of the rules dipping is allowed because it is not always feasible to leave a TB at a cache – especially a micro. That is why I made provision for it, in that provided it is the first time you are visiting a cache, you may dip it. So this applies whether you are the owner of the TB or not. You just won’t get the benefit of the extra points gained from being moved by different cachers. Some TB owners like to hold onto their TBs and just let them travel with them. That is fine, but they won’t accumulate as many points as if they let it go to be picked up by someone else and moved on.

Maybe I should increase the weighting of points gained when a TB is moved by a different cacher - What is the feeling on that? Also, in order to qualify as a different cacher, you should not have moved the TB within a certain number of placements. ie. to qualify for the extra points, the TB has to be moved by 2, 3, n other cachers in the interim before you retrieve it again. Suggestions for 'n'?

2) Is dipping allowed?

In terms of the rules dipping is allowed because it is not always feasible to leave a TB at a cache – especially a micro. That is why I made provision for it, in that provided it is the first time you are visiting a cache, you may dip it. So this applies whether you are the owner of the TB or not. You just won’t get the benefit of the extra points gained from being moved by different cachers. Some TB owners like to hold onto their TBs and just let them travel with them. That is fine, but they won’t accumulate as many points as if they let it go to be picked up by someone else and moved on.

Maybe I should increase the weighting of points gained when a TB is moved by a different cacher - What is the feeling on that? Also, in order to qualify as a different cacher, you should not have moved the TB within a certain number of placements. ie. to qualify for the extra points, the TB has to be moved by 2, 3, n other cachers in the interim before you retrieve it again. Suggestions for 'n'?

I would go along with the idea that a form of "penalty" is build in for TB's that are dipped by their owners. After all, it is a RACE that the TB is participating in and by implication that means it should move from cache to cahe by means of different cachers. That is what caching is all about. IMHO if you want a TB to travel with you wherever you go then don't enter it into a RACE - where is it racing to?

My 5 cents worth.

I would go along with the idea that a form of "penalty" is build in for TB's that are dipped by their owners. After all, it is a RACE that the TB is participating in and by implication that means it should move from cache to cahe by means of different cachers. That is what caching is all about. IMHO if you want a TB to travel with you wherever you go then don't enter it into a RACE - where is it racing to?

My 5 cents worth.

Would you then be happy with the rewording of Rule 4 to be:

4) A cacher who retrieves a trackable will earn an additional 20 points for the trackable.

Should that cacher have previously moved the trackable, the additional points will only

be awarded in the event of the trackable having been moved by a minimum of 3 other

different cachers in the interim.

Edited by BruceTP

Thanks to MnCo for volunteering to host the Cape Town event on the 5th of December. I am looking forward to seeing a great starting grid from the Cape. Currently Gauteng are still leading 5-2 but I am sure the situation will change as your team take up the challenge along with the other provinces. :yikes:

I wish you every success with your event and will be in contact with you to get the detail of all the contestants.

Thanks to MnCo for volunteering to host the Cape Town event on the 5th of December. I am looking forward to seeing a great starting grid from the Cape. Currently Gauteng are still leading 5-2 but I am sure the situation will change as your team take up the challenge along with the other provinces. :yikes:

I wish you every success with your event and will be in contact with you to get the detail of all the contestants.

Just a quick correction.

The Cape Town racers will be starting from the Christmas event hosted by cownchicken on the 5th December. I will post details of the event once it is published.

W/o having any experience to back it up..., I think the rules are fair and clear - including your new #4 (maybe just deleting the word "unique" as it seems to suggest "completely new" cachers, i.e. ones that have not previously handled the bug). The 20 points for each new handler will probably automatically induce what Cincol also wants to see - independent/real traveling.

MnCo, sorry for almost getting you into trouble... :yikes:

I see the WP bugs kicking some major butt - starting next Saturday in the Shark tank...

W/o having any experience to back it up..., I think the rules are fair and clear - including your new #4 (maybe just deleting the word "unique" as it seems to suggest "completely new" cachers, i.e. ones that have not previously handled the bug). The 20 points for each new handler will probably automatically induce what Cincol also wants to see - independent/real traveling.

Thanks for the support Hesamati, I have removed the word 'unique' from point 4.

November is now upon us which means that it is a time to get your TBs ready for the start of the Great 2011 South African TB Race. I see that three provinces have taken up the challenge and organised events at which the local TBs will enter the race. Some of the entrants have already been logged into the events which is great to see. I am sure that by the end the TB list per event will be exhaustive. ;)

In order to track the various TBs throughout the year I had approached Damhuisclan who had very capably hosted the last race website but he declined the request, much to my disappointment. So, failing which, I have put together my very first attempt at designing and hosting a website. ;) I am sure that as time goes by, I am sure to fall into many pitfalls and potholes and maybe there will be glitches from time to time with the site. :antenna: So bear with me, please. Therefore, to coincide with the start of November and the great countdown to the race begins I am launching the website here: Great SA 2011 TB Race

I trust that you will all enjoy tracking your's and all the other TBs in the race throughout the year. You will also be able to see the gallery of all nominated photographs for the month competition. Currently I only have sample photos of some of the TBs entered thus far.

It is your race. Participate and enjoy it to the full. May the best TBs win. ;)

On your marks! Get set....... !