I can't play?

shortsaler

I have a Palm Pre which has an app for geocaching - just became a premium member and wanted to explaore Wherigo but it looks like I would have to buy a garmin or a pocket pc?

isn't there some kind of workaround to this?

is there a way to play without a garmin or pocket pc? maybe I could just plug coordinates in my gps (geez wouldn't that be a chore!)

help?

Aside from a Garmin or Pocket PC, you could explore the cell phone route. If you have a Droid or Java-based cell phone, there are some wonderful third-party Wherigo Players available.

You won't be able to plug coordinates into a GPSr because some cartridges use hidden zones to enhance the experience. For instance, a cartridge I did over the weekend involved returning animals to a local zoo (of course, I had to pay admission to get into the zoo). The zones weren't visible. I had to find the cages myself to return the animals. It wouldn't have been near as fun if it pointed me to the cages. It was a very small zoo, mind you.

I have a Palm Pre which has an app for geocaching - just became a premium member and wanted to explaore Wherigo but it looks like I would have to buy a garmin or a pocket pc?

isn't there some kind of workaround to this?

is there a way to play without a garmin or pocket pc? maybe I could just plug coordinates in my gps (geez wouldn't that be a chore!)

help?

I have gotten very close to getting a laptop PC running with a Garmin GPSmap60 using the information on the following thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=187391

Just take it step-by-step during the installation. I didn't understand why I did each of the steps the first time through; then I did it more slowly on a second laptop I had available and it made sense .. you do need all those steps done.

This really should work, if you can figure out how to carry your laptop with GPS and cable on the trail.

The downside is that the Franson GPSgate software is going to require you to buy a license for the laptop and a second one for the Pocket PC emulator when you want to run it past the 14 day demo download.

After going through this, I was able to get my real, albeit old, pocketPC running Wherigo's, so I stopped fiddling with the virtual PPC for now.