A polite reminder to people to think before you post

I haven't seen any sort of backlash for being a noob either.

but then I'm a big girl and don't run off crying when someone online is mean

fact is, this seems to be one of the more gentle forums I've seen and when I first posted someone warned me that it would be ugly at times

:)

Like with most things, the issue isn't black and white. There are some newbies who come here and post with an attitude that rightfully spark some nasty replies but there are also some old-timers who are far too insensitive with people who come here genuinely looking for help.

I think people who are genuinely looking for help get treated pretty well, though sometimes they get conflicting opinions (that's okay). It's the people coming with suggestions to change or "improve" caching that get the worst of it.

I think for the most part you are right. But speaking from personal experience, it isn't always the case.

There tends to be some around here who seem to believe this forum is a psuedo-court room and treat those who pose questions as though they are on the stand ready for cross examination. I think that kind of attitude tends to put people off.

I know local cachers who wouldn't darken these forums for all the smiley faces on Earth and the reason they give me? They feel too intimidated to post after they read a few threads. And since this has been said to me by numerous people at various caching events, I have to believe there is a kernel of truth to it. People shoudn't need to feel they have to don kevlar jackets to enter the forums. And for some reason, many of them do. I think that is sad.

I think part of the problem is that some people have their troll detector sensors set too fine. They are probably people who have been around Internet forums for some time and have see all kinds of trolls and a newbie asking a question can certainly sound like a troll.

As far as this place being too intimidating, it's too bad they feel that way. I've heard this from others too, but I think these people are focusing on the handful of threads that get heated. It's really small number.

I just took a quick peek at the 48 threads on the front page at this moment. Of the 48 I counted 8 where there was some level of hostility (no judgment as to whether it was deserved or not). And I included this thread in that count because of my "hostile" post on the previous page.

That leaves 40 threads where geocachers are exchanging ideas, helpful hints, advice and generally interacting positively with each other.

I get that we don't agree on this, but do you have to make with the little passive agressive jabs at everybody that sees the issue differently than you?

Of course there will be some of you who will see this explanation as snide and condescending even though it is an attempt at humor. That's OK too

And I included this thread in that count because of my "hostile" post on the previous page.

I get that we don't agree on this, but do you have to make with the little passive agressive jabs at everybody that sees the issue differently than you?

Of course there will be some of you who will see this explanation as snide and condescending even though it is an attempt at humor. That's OK too

And I included this thread in that count because of my "hostile" post on the previous page.

You take offense at those? Really?

Somebody has their something set way to sensitive. Or something.

Stats duly noted Briansnat. That being said, it only takes one thread to sour someone to the forums indefinitely. The recent bruhaha is case in point.

I honestly think were approaching dead horse terratory here. :D

If you build an offramp on a freeway people are gonna get killed there. If the engineer that had to design it couldn't accept that... ahhhh forget it. :)

It's the internet. People are going to get their wittle feewings hurt from time to time. So be it. I for one wouldn't come here if the environment was antiseptic. If you live in an antiseptic bubble you're bound to become anemic as a group. No thanks. ;)

Message received: Think before you post. I think most of us got that. :huh:

It's the internet. People are going to get their wittle feewings hurt from time to time. So be it. I for one wouldn't come here if the environment was antiseptic. If you live in an antiseptic bubble you're bound to become anemic as a group. No thanks. :)

See, this is where I have an issue*. "It's the internet". The notion being that the internet is full of jerks so let's just all be jerks with the rest of them. Can't we aspire to something better than that?

And I know you can't mean it this way, but to then use the "wittle feewings" comment to evoke the image of small children or child-like concerns. Is this another way of broadcasting the "toughen up" or "get thicker skin" sentiment? I mean, baby talk? Really?

I've communicated with other cachers either in person, on local forums, or via Twitter and there are many of them that avoid these forums because they have either been told by others like them or they have developed the opinion from lurking that the forums and its members are viscous, rude, snarky, obsessed, jaded and nit-picking. This isn't some isolated opinion that I've conjured form the ether because I'm thin-skinned or over-sensitive.

Blah. I guess you either see it one way or the other.

*Not to be confused with a problem.

It's the internet. People are going to get their wittle feewings hurt from time to time. So be it. I for one wouldn't come here if the environment was antiseptic. If you live in an antiseptic bubble you're bound to become anemic as a group. No thanks. :D

See, this is where I have an issue*. "It's the internet". The notion being that the internet is full of jerks so let's just all be jerks with the rest of them. Can't we aspire to something better than that?

And I know you can't mean it this way, but to then use the "wittle feewings" comment to evoke the image of small children or child-like concerns. Is this another way of broadcasting the "toughen up" or "get thicker skin" sentiment? I mean, baby talk? Really?

I've communicated with other cachers either in person, on local forums, or via Twitter and there are many of them that avoid these forums because they have either been told by others like them or they have developed the opinion from lurking that the forums and its members are viscous, rude, snarky, obsessed, jaded and nit-picking. This isn't some isolated opinion that I've conjured form the ether because I'm thin-skinned or over-sensitive.

Ahh, but you can split any hair you like or assign any meaning you like to my words, it won't change anything. Finger waggling generally gets exactly the opposite reaction than what is desired from the waggler and they generally act all surprised. There in lies the entertainment value. Thanks for the chuckle BTW. ;)

Thanks to a better than average OP this thread has had more intelligent discourse than the average finger waggling thread. The OP should be proud of that. :huh:

and now back to the entertainment... :)

It's the internet. People are going to get their wittle feewings hurt from time to time. So be it. I for one wouldn't come here if the environment was antiseptic. If you live in an antiseptic bubble you're bound to become anemic as a group. No thanks. :)

i agree with this post, especially the bolded portion. Admittedly, i am not thick skinned and am a little sensitive. i can deal with internet tough guys or wisecrackers though because i know how group mentality works and the protection of hiding behind an avatar makes folks sometimes behave unlike they would in real life.

i'm just soured because my first week i logged a Needs Maintence and was called a newb who needs to be slapped in the logs. Then on another thread i was told adding "Logged from my BlackBerry" was annoying and elitist. Lastly, recently, i agreed with an OP's suggestion and was told maybe i needed to be in the game longer before i made suggestions about the site.

i have also had friendly replies too, and i appreciate that. i've just had more not so nice replies. i know it's annoying when a newbie starts a new thread on an old or "dead horse" topic..but to just scold the poster or come in with NI or take the thread totally off topic is rude, in my opinion. i'm all for leaving links, and i love reading through old threads; but to take the tone of "search stupid newb" is ridiculous. If you're (you're is general) tired of seeing old topics pop up, just ignore the thread.

Sometimes a new thread about an old topic is refreshing, and better than rereading a 2 year thread on the topic.

No, i'm not a fan of sarcasm either. That's just me. i don't think anyone who is curt or rude on here would be like that face to face though. i try to remember that.

Here's an example of the most recent:

SeekerOfTheWay replied 5 days ago

To be clear also: i don't mind having my Found/Hidden stats on my profile. Just the numbers are ok. i don't like having the specific caches i've Found/DNF listed in public. This gives anyone access to where i am, and i cache every two days or so. It's really a big issue on a site this big with so many players.

******** commented 5 days ago

What I can see from your profile is that you've been caching since May 2010. Maybe you should be active in this hobby a little longer before you start requesting changes that affect all of us. I've been doing this since 1 /1 /06 , have over 4 ,000 finds ( over 60 a day a few times) and so far no one has stalked or tracked me. If you are worry about being a female and being stalked, take your picture off your profile and put up one of a 300 lb bar bouncer :D. people think this is one of the best points

No, the ;) doesn't soften it up for me.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Hahah, completely unrelated, but I totally just committed forumcide on another forum because the mods there are the worst mods in the history of the internet.

I'm very confident that I will be warned if not banned for calling out the mods there. They are like little 12 year old kids that ban anyone that speaks ill of them or says that could be doing something differently.

Like my OP here would have likely gotten me warned over there. When I posted this thread, I wasn't sure if I would end up warned.

Thanks mods here for actually knowing how to moderate and not projecting your insecurities on the userbase!

Thanks to a better than average OP this thread has had more intelligent discourse than the average finger waggling thread. The OP should be proud of that. ;)

I agree!! +1

Awww thanks guys :):D;)

Sometimes I feel like I write way too verbosely and have a tendency to make giant walls of text when I post :huh:

There's a lot of great info on this site. It's just a hostile place towards new players. That's a shame, but oh well. i'd advise newbs to read the forums but not post if you don't want to get flamed.

I disagree completely. I have found this to be a very enjoyable forum, from day one. I'm not particularly thick-skinned, but I have never felt picked on or unwelcome. This isn't my first time on a forum, and it's one of the better ones I frequent.

Go away, we don't want you here. :)

It's the internet. People are going to get their wittle feewings hurt from time to time. So be it. I for one wouldn't come here if the environment was antiseptic. If you live in an antiseptic bubble you're bound to become anemic as a group. No thanks. :D

Ahh, but you can split any hair you like or assign any meaning you like to my words, it won't change anything. Finger waggling generally gets exactly the opposite reaction than what is desired from the waggler and they generally act all surprised. There in lies the entertainment value. Thanks for the chuckle BTW. ;)

Thanks to a better than average OP this thread has had more intelligent discourse than the average finger waggling thread. The OP should be proud of that. :huh:

I've got to side with Castle Mischief on this one, Snoogans. "wittle feewings"? I don't want the place to be "antiseptic" either, but that's a bit over the top, I think.

Stats duly noted Briansnat. That being said, it only takes one thread to sour someone to the forums indefinitely. The recent bruhaha is case in point.

I honestly think were approaching dead horse terratory here. :D

If you build an offramp on a freeway people are gonna get killed there. If the engineer that had to design it couldn't accept that... ahhhh forget it. :)

It's the internet. People are going to get their wittle feewings hurt from time to time. So be it. I for one wouldn't come here if the environment was antiseptic. If you live in an antiseptic bubble you're bound to become anemic as a group. No thanks. ;)

Message received: Think before you post. I think most of us got that. :huh:

Sorry if you feel it is "dead horse terratory (sic)" - no one is forcing you to continue to open and read the thread.

We are all entitled to our opinions and my opinion is that this discussion has been long overdue and I'm happy to see it taking place.

I don't think anyone here is saying they want the forums to be antiseptic - I know for a fact that I did not. I just happen to think that encouraging people to participate is preferable to running them off the minute they step out of lurk mode. You see, the builder of an offramp on a freeway probably isn't too concerned that his/her offramp will be a representative of offramps everywhere but some of us here wish to attract people to geocaching, not repel them from it. I'm sorry if you do not see it that way.

I've got to side with Castle Mischief on this one, Snoogans. "wittle feewings"? I don't want the place to be "antiseptic" either, but that's a bit over the top, I think.

;):huh:;)

Ummm, I don't take myself or ANY forum interaction too seriously. Balance is what I strive for as stated earlier in this thread. Assign whatever meaning you like to my words and believe that with all your heart. :drama: This hair has now been quartered. Anyone want to try for eighths? :D:drama:

Edited by Snoogans

Groundspeak estimates that there are 3-4 million cachers.

Our local Alabama forum alone lists over 1000 members.

Yet there are, what, maybe 50 people who post here on a regular basis?

There's a reason for that.

We should all ask ourselves whether we are part of that reason.

Are you?

Yes, unfortunately, I just may be.

Events like the one which prompted this discussion make me evaluate why I am here. I sometimes forget that my mission is to be supportive, helpful to others, to be friendly and to make geocaching attractive to all.

When I forget that I become part of the problem.

Are you?

Events like the one which prompted this discussion make me evaluate why I am here. I sometimes forget that my mission is to be supportive, helpful to others, to be friendly and to make geocaching attractive to all.

Amen. Same here, even though I don't post much.

Amen. Same here, even though I don't post much.

At the moment there have been 2508 views of this thread but only 120 posts. That too tells me that folks are hesitant to post even when the topic interests them.

I had my say. Doesn't mean I don't come back often to check what others are saying. *shrug*

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. No one attacked her. I made it clear that I did not believe her because her post sounded a lot like a troll we've had in the forums. I asked repeatedly for the GC code, even though she had already gone above and beyond what anyone in her position would reasonably do. But that was not an attack. I've reread that thread a LOT after reading this one. I still don't see where anyone was nasty to her.

I am pretty good with Google search. And I can't find a cache with the phrases "community gardens" and "no digging required".

So, I will make this challenge to the OP.

You claimed to have visited the cache listing and read it. You claim to have posted 2 phrases from that listing.

Therefore, if you can give us the GC code for that cache listing (it's located in the top right corner of the listing page), I will not only apologize to you, but I will mail you a money order for $30.

Hold the phone.

EVERYTHING the OP said is listed on the cache page.

Had the OP supplied the GC code when asked, then much of this thread would not have occurred.

I'm still not convinced the OP is who she says she is.

I am sorry, but I have to say that YES, YOU attacked her. You were calling her a liar. You can re-read that thread a dozen more times and that will not change. You can add the "if I was wrong I will apologize..." line to your attacks all you want but they were still attacks. You then blamed her for causing the thread to go in the direction it did.

I would not be writing this if you had apologized (as you did) in the other thread and everywhere else you did and left it at that. We all make mistakes. It takes a big person to apologize. But to come into this thread and try to say that you didn't attack her? Come on.

;):huh:;)

Ummm, I don't take myself or ANY forum interaction too seriously. Balance is what I strive for as stated earlier in this thread. Assign whatever meaning you like to my words and believe that with all your heart. :drama: This hair has now been quartered. Anyone want to try for eighths? :D:drama:

Sorry, but all the little popcorn eating Signals in the world won't keep "your wittle feewings hurt" from sounding terribly snarky, Snoogy. I can do a whole bunch of little popcorn eating Signals, too, but that won't change the apparent attitude. I was very surprised when I saw you say that. You're better than that. If I interpreted your meaning wrong, I'm sorry, but I doubt that I'm the only one that did so.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this. No one attacked her. I made it clear that I did not believe her because her post sounded a lot like a troll we've had in the forums. I asked repeatedly for the GC code, even though she had already gone above and beyond what anyone in her position would reasonably do. But that was not an attack. I've reread that thread a LOT after reading this one. I still don't see where anyone was nasty to her.

I am pretty good with Google search. And I can't find a cache with the phrases "community gardens" and "no digging required".

So, I will make this challenge to the OP.

You claimed to have visited the cache listing and read it. You claim to have posted 2 phrases from that listing.

Therefore, if you can give us the GC code for that cache listing (it's located in the top right corner of the listing page), I will not only apologize to you, but I will mail you a money order for $30.

Hold the phone.

EVERYTHING the OP said is listed on the cache page.

Had the OP supplied the GC code when asked, then much of this thread would not have occurred.

I'm still not convinced the OP is who she says she is.

I am sorry, but I have to say that YES, YOU attacked her. You were calling her a liar. You can re-read that thread a dozen more times and that will not change. You can add the "if I was wrong I will apologize..." line to your attacks all you want but they were still attacks. You then blamed her for causing the thread to go in the direction it did.

I would not be writing this if you had apologized (as you did) in the other thread and everywhere else you did and left it at that. We all make mistakes. It takes a big person to apologize. But to come into this thread and try to say that you didn't attack her? Come on.

By no stretch of the imagination did he attack her, you are attacking him though, long after he has apologixed, had that apology accepted, and paid for ger a Premium membership/ You are way out of line with your post, next time think before you post.

Are you?

You and me, both, TAR. Thanks for the frankness.

There's a lot of great info on this site. It's just a hostile place towards new players. That's a shame, but oh well. i'd advise newbs to read the forums but not post if you don't want to get flamed.

I disagree completely. I have found this to be a very enjoyable forum, from day one. I'm not particularly thick-skinned, but I have never felt picked on or unwelcome. This isn't my first time on a forum, and it's one of the better ones I frequent.

Go away, we don't want you here. :)

Ha-ha. You first, eh?

You know, I think I'll follow Chrys' and GeoBain's example and quit posting so much, except in off-topic. Doubt I'll be missed much, but that's the breaks. Subtract 3 from those "50 regular posters" TAR referenced in an earlier post.

Cheers and see you in that other forum.

Some thing I heard on the radio (wish I could find the study) was a study found that it takes 14 (I think I remember the number right) positive statements to overcome one negitive statement. So if 10 people agree with you and one person doesn't, you come away with a negitive feeling. The brain will focus on that one negitive response way more than the positive responses. The recent thread that spawned this one is a good example, as it the poster above who is focusing on one (very) negitive response.

Some thing I heard on the radio (wish I could find the study) was a study found that it takes 14 (I think I remember the number right) positive statements to overcome one negitive statement. So if 10 people agree with you and one person doesn't, you come away with a negitive feeling. The brain will focus on that one negitive response way more than the positive responses. The recent thread that spawned this one is a good example, as it the poster above who is focusing on one (very) negitive response.

Cool, I'll start quoting 14 when I talk about this phenomenon. I had been saying 10:1.

:huh:;):drama:

Sorry, but all the little popcorn eating Signals in the world won't keep "your wittle feewings hurt" from sounding terribly snarky, Snoogy. I can do a whole bunch of little popcorn eating Signals, too, but that won't change the apparent attitude. I was very surprised when I saw you say that. You're better than that. If I interpreted your meaning wrong, I'm sorry, but I doubt that I'm the only one that did so.

Knowschad? Who exactly are you trying to convince? Me ;) or the unseen masses that you perceive to be behind you?

I'm not better than anyone else here and I don't feel the need to justify or make an apology for my remark. If that's your goal you've picked a futile one. I said what I said. Assign the meaning you want to it. Feel free to enjoy the warmth that others agree with you and disagree with me or be entertained that I'm still responding to you. It's all good and none of this will mean anything to me if we meet on the street. Look behind you and above your monitor.... That's real life. This is just passing time. The minute I start to take it seriously and let it affect me, I'll cry off, and I won't need to make an announcement about it. I'll just be gone.

Care to turn those eighths into sixteenths. I promise I'll give you the last word. Honest. :)

This thread has gotten WAY too serious. People have left the forums, things have been said that shouldn't have been said but geeze!

I have seen worse offenses to newbies in other threads without people offering their heads up.

We (and I include me) have said stupid things on a variety of topics and threads.

I have no desire to take a forum vacation unless told to do so.

This is a very well moderated forum that is not too heavily moderated.

People need to take a breath and realize that this is the internet.

This is not real life (in real life I may or may not confront someone who is rude to me)

sure, you may not get the answers you were looking for and sometimes you get snarky replies.

such is life.

It has nothing to do with a thin or thick skin.

*sigh*

Edited by brslk

Knowschad? Who exactly are you trying to convince? Me ;) or the unseen masses that you perceive to be behind you?

I'm not better than anyone else here and I don't feel the need to justify or make an apology for my remark. If that's your goal you've picked a futile one. I said what I said. Assign the meaning you want to it. Feel free to enjoy the warmth that others agree with you and disagree with me or be entertained that I'm still responding to you. It's all good and none of this will mean anything to me if we meet on the street. Look behind you and above your monitor.... That's real life. This is just passing time. The minute I start to take it seriously and let it affect me, I'll cry off, and I won't need to make an announcement about it. I'll just be gone.

Care to turn those eighths into sixteenths. I promise I'll give you the last word. Honest. :)

What are these "unseen masses" that you seem to think that I "perceive to be behind" me? I was just telling you what I thought, and I'm not expecting any "unseen support". Your response to CM was absolutely snarky and I don't care how nice your other posts are, or what the mods and reviewers you've met have said about you. It was a very childish remark. That doesn't mean that I think that all of your posts are childish... far from it. But in a thread that is all about thinking about what you say... you said something that was very snarky and I'm calling you on it. Telling someone that theire "Wittle feewings have been hurt is, quite frankly, very snarky. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you... just trying to make a point.

By no stretch of the imagination did he attack her, you are attacking him though, long after he has apologixed, had that apology accepted, and paid for ger a Premium membership/ You are way out of line with your post, next time think before you post.

If someone said to you "I don't believe you, you are lying, prove who you are. And if you prove it, I am sorry for doubting you" you wouldn't feel attacked? Every time he addressed the OP (who in his mind was ashnikes when reality it was piddlepuss) he was questioning her and was attacking her, not ashnikes. He might not have meant it for her but she sure got it.

Once again, I would not have said a word and left it at apology made and let's move on. But by coming in this thread and making a point of saying that he did not attack her, he is saying, in my opinion and interpretation, "I am sorry for what I did, but really, was it so bad since I really wasn't attacking her? It was a misunderstanding" My interpretation. My opinion, he should have left it at apology made and that's it. Don't try to make further excuses and justify things afterwards, as it appears to ME he was trying to do in the quoted post.

All, in my humble opinion. :)

If someone said to you "I don't believe you, you are lying, prove who you are. And if you prove it, I am sorry for doubting you" you wouldn't feel attacked? Every time he addressed the OP (who in his mind was ashnikes when reality it was piddlepuss) he was questioning her and was attacking her, not ashnikes. He might not have meant it for her but she sure got it.

Once again, I would not have said a word and left it at apology made and let's move on. But by coming in this thread and making a point of saying that he did not attack her, he is saying, in my opinion and interpretation, "I am sorry for what I did, but really, was it so bad since I really wasn't attacking her? It was a misunderstanding" My interpretation. My opinion, he should have left it at apology made and that's it. Don't try to make further excuses and justify things afterwards, as it appears to ME he was trying to do in the quoted post.

All, in my humble opinion. :D

Can someone link this oft referenced thread for me and everyone else that hasn't bothered to read every thread on this forum??? Pretty please. :)

I've heard something like that, too; I don't remember the exact number either.

It's also very hard to see things impartially when one feels like they (or a friend) have been attacked. It's too bad, really, but that's emotion for ya'. That's why some newbies leave quickly, or never venture to post. If they'd stick around, maybe they'd see the big picture. I hope the forum veterans stick around, too. One or two bad posts does not a pile-on make!

All, in my humble opinion. :D

Can someone link this oft referenced thread for me and everyone else that hasn't bothered to read every thread on this forum??? Pretty please. :)

Pretty sure everyone that has posted on this thread has seen the other one.

All, in my humble opinion. :huh:

Can someone link this oft referenced thread for me and everyone else that hasn't bothered to read every thread on this forum??? Pretty please. ;)

Go do a search! :D:)

Seriously, if you haven't read it, go back a day or two and look for the locked threads. Sorry, I don't know how to do links!

At the moment there have been 2508 views of this thread but only 120 posts. That too tells me that folks are hesitant to post even when the topic interests them.

There are 37,247 views of the Hamster Caching thread and only 171 posts. Just sayin'

The Hamster Caching thread was started in 2008. Just sayin'

Outstanding.

Snoogans for President. :):D:)

Can someone link this oft referenced thread for me and everyone else that hasn't bothered to read every thread on this forum??? Pretty please. :D

Here.

Thank you.

I read the OP and pushed the eject button on that one the day it was posted. It seemed to call for someone helpful and patient and it just plain didn't interest me.

Does it surprise me that it degenerated? Not in the least.

Do I feel that thread is indicative of this forum in general or even some of the folks who came away egg-faced? Not in the least.

I understand some of the tone of THIS thread better.

Let me clarify for the pilers on the bad, snarky Snoogy wagon. My comment earlier that is so shocking to some is not a reference to piddle-person's feelings. I had no idea what happened until about 2 hours ago when I clicked that link. My comment was made in the royal sense. I still feel no need to justify it or or make an apology for it. Snarky is as snarky does. ;)

I'm enjoying the irony that exists between my first post to this thread and this one. :)