when is there gonna be a limit on micros?

antaries

wow

Since you appear to be new to caching and these forums and in keeping with the "kinder, gentler forum" feeling these days, I'll ask politely... what was your comment was directed at and what can we do to further your understanding of whichever portion of this rather long and disjointed thread elucidated that response?

Seriously, no snark intended.

I can't read this whole thread, because of a time factor, but it is very timely. Recently we've had a whole bunch of "series" caches come out, hidden in a whole bunch of fast food chain restaurants. It came out in a thread in our local forums called "Spew Spew Spew". Aptly named. I have nothing against a good micro cache. I have some micros hidden, myself, in the woods, I'm guilty. It's the spew that I have issue with. Who can possibly maintain 100 micros (those logs fill up fast) in 100 stores of the same chain across the state. The cache pages are all the same, so where's the interest factor? The caches aren't all hidden in the best of spots, which could cause a cache finder some problems, and now the logs appearing on them are all cut and paste too, so if you've read one, you've read them all. The problem I'm having with this type of hiding is that this has become so widespread. New cachers come along (I have nothing against new cachers either, it's their teachers, I tell ya!) and think that's how all (key word is "all") caches are supposed to be hidden, and hide a whole bunch more, in another series. It's spreading like a mutant virus. I doubt that we have become so saturated with caches that there's no where else to hide them! So the issues I see are:

1. maintenance

1. blocking a good park from having a cache.

2. giving geocaching a black eye by putting geocachers in unsafe situations.

3. getting hit by a car

4. getting arrested/bomb squad

5. causing more of the same cache hide style to spread (and it is)

I can love a good micro hide. But take me somewhere I want to go, not to some fast food chain I wouldn't even eat at, where I can get hit trying to find the cache, or arrested for looking suspicious, please. PLEASE! And thank you so much!

May I please have some pie too? :)

wow

Since you appear to be new to caching and these forums and in keeping with the "kinder, gentler forum" feeling these days, I'll ask politely... what was your comment was directed at and what can we do to further your understanding of whichever portion of this rather long and disjointed thread elucidated that response?

Well, he/she has recently found an "Always" cache, and "Shopping plaza Park-n-Grab #'s 1 and 2". They're probably thinking like "they're listed there on the website, doesn't everyone run out and find them"? I have indeed seen new cachers who are totally flaberghasted when they find out there are wahoo's like me who don't cache in store parking lots. :) <== Kinder, gentler smiley.

wow

Well, he/she has recently found an "Always" cache, and "Shopping plaza Park-n-Grab #'s 1 and 2". They're probably thinking like "they're listed there on the website, doesn't everyone run out and find them"? I have indeed seen new cachers who are totally flaberghasted when they find out there are wahoo's like me who don't cache in store parking lots. :D <== Kinder, gentler smiley.

Ahhh, loosen yer suspenders some dude. I've seen some nice parking lots. 'Round these parts they stick 'em on top of mountains after they chop the tops off 'em. :)

wow

Well, he/she has recently found an "Always" cache, and "Shopping plaza Park-n-Grab #'s 1 and 2". They're probably thinking like "they're listed there on the website, doesn't everyone run out and find them"? I have indeed seen new cachers who are totally flaberghasted when they find out there are wahoo's like me who don't cache in store parking lots. ;) <== Kinder, gentler smiley.

Ahhh, loosen yer suspenders some dude. I've seen some nice parking lots. 'Round these parts they stick 'em on top of mountains after they chop the tops off 'em. :)

Awww gee. Sounds pretty nice, but I'll still pass. Nice work in this thead though. We are in need of a new resident comedian around here with the banning and/or self-imposed exile of GeoBain. :D

wow

Well, he/she has recently found an "Always" cache, and "Shopping plaza Park-n-Grab #'s 1 and 2". They're probably thinking like "they're listed there on the website, doesn't everyone run out and find them"? I have indeed seen new cachers who are totally flaberghasted when they find out there are wahoo's like me who don't cache in store parking lots. :huh: <== Kinder, gentler smiley.

Awww gee. Sounds pretty nice, but I'll still pass. Nice work in this thead though. We are in need of a new resident comedian around here with the banning and/or self-imposed exile of GeoBain. ;)

I'll take a pass on that position, thanks all the same. Consistent micro bashers do a much more effective job :D

(Snark still not directed at the newb but at the "old timer" who must have that much renowned thick skin, and that only in jest.)

I'd still seriously like to know where the "wow" came from. notwithstanding you putting words in his mouth.

wow

Well, he/she has recently found an "Always" cache, and "Shopping plaza Park-n-Grab #'s 1 and 2". They're probably thinking like "they're listed there on the website, doesn't everyone run out and find them"? I have indeed seen new cachers who are totally flaberghasted when they find out there are wahoo's like me who don't cache in store parking lots. :huh: <== Kinder, gentler smiley.

Awww gee. Sounds pretty nice, but I'll still pass. Nice work in this thead though. We are in need of a new resident comedian around here with the banning and/or self-imposed exile of GeoBain. ;)

I'll take a pass on that position, thanks all the same. Consistent micro bashers do a much more effective job :D

(Snark still not directed at the newb but at the "old timer" who must have that much renowned thick skin, and that only in jest.)

I'd still seriously like to know where the "wow" came from. notwithstanding you putting words in his mouth.

Oh yeah, I gots thick skin (and litterally as well, being of Eastern Euro descent). Not a basher though, almost 1/4 of my finds are micros.

I agree though, I'd like to see blackknife come back and explain the "wow". Because believe me, the thread is all over the place.

...Recently we've had a whole bunch of "series" caches come out, hidden in a whole bunch of fast food chain restaurants. It came out in a thread in our local forums called "Spew Spew Spew". Aptly named. I have nothing against a good micro cache... It's the spew that I have issue with. Who can possibly maintain 100 micros (those logs fill up fast) in 100 stores of the same chain across the state. The cache pages are all the same, so where's the interest factor? The caches aren't all hidden in the best of spots, which could cause a cache finder some problems, and now the logs appearing on them are all cut and paste too, so if you've read one, you've read them all. The problem I'm having with this type of hiding is that this has become so widespread. New cachers come along (I have nothing against new cachers either, it's their teachers, I tell ya!) and think that's how all (key word is "all") caches are supposed to be hidden, and hide a whole bunch more, in another series. It's spreading like a mutant virus. I doubt that we have become so saturated with caches that there's no where else to hide them! So the issues I see are:

1. maintenance

1a. blocking a good park from having a cache.

3. getting hit by a car

I can love a good micro hide. But take me somewhere I want to go, not to some fast food chain I wouldn't even eat at, where I can get hit trying to find the cache, or arrested for looking suspicious, please. PLEASE! And thank you so much!

AMEN! What I have underlined in the quote above is so true! Nothing wrong with a good micro hide, but so much of the micro hides are "SPEW" or as I like to call it "micro tosses", and not inspiring at all.

Just a quick note - I'm a man of my word - bought three ammo boxen last night. One quite large. Now to get them painted up and hid. :)

May I recommend using a good paint, such as: http://www.krylon.com/products/make_it_sto...extured_paints/

I've found that the "copper" color blends in so well with the New England forest, that it ups the difficulty 1-2 stars, and this is for an ammo box!

mmmm, blackberry pie

coords? :drama:

There's a lovely recipe for peach cobbler earlier in the thread :unsure::anibad:

:rolleyes:

Hey, I want this recipe for raspberry ice cream that Signal enjoys so much... but maybe only Platinum members get access to it. And you're right, I should write down that peach cobbler recipe. It did look really good :drama:

Edited by nymphnsatyr

mmmm, blackberry pie

coords? :drama:

There's a lovely recipe for peach cobbler earlier in the thread :drama::anibad:

:unsure:

Hey, I want this recipe for raspberry ice cream that Signal enjoys so much... but maybe only Platinum members get access to it. And you're right, I should write down that peach cobbler recipe. It did look really good :drama:

Don't be ridiculous. You can only put vanilla ice cream on blackberry pie (or peach cobbler). The newbies will see you putting raspberry ice cream on blackberry pie and think that is the right way to server pie à la mode and they you'll have nothing but raspberry à la mode spew. It will be the scurge of ice cream topped desserts I tell ya. :rolleyes:

Just a quick note - I'm a man of my word - bought three ammo boxen last night. One quite large. Now to get them painted up and hid. :anibad:

May I recommend using a good paint, such as: http://www.krylon.com/products/make_it_sto...extured_paints/

I've found that the "copper" color blends in so well with the New England forest, that it ups the difficulty 1-2 stars, and this is for an ammo box!

I've been using Rustoleum paints, then giving the container a final coat of clear matte.

First time I've seen one of these european jobbies (med kit?) I'll get a picture up in the other thread when I get to working on it. The seal stuck, so I'll have to do a little sealing work on it before placing it in the field.

...Recently we've had a whole bunch of "series" caches come out, hidden in a whole bunch of fast food chain restaurants. It came out in a thread in our local forums called "Spew Spew Spew". Aptly named. I have nothing against a good micro cache... It's the spew that I have issue with. Who can possibly maintain 100 micros (those logs fill up fast) in 100 stores of the same chain across the state. The cache pages are all the same, so where's the interest factor? The caches aren't all hidden in the best of spots, which could cause a cache finder some problems, and now the logs appearing on them are all cut and paste too, so if you've read one, you've read them all. The problem I'm having with this type of hiding is that this has become so widespread. New cachers come along (I have nothing against new cachers either, it's their teachers, I tell ya!) and think that's how all (key word is "all") caches are supposed to be hidden, and hide a whole bunch more, in another series. It's spreading like a mutant virus. I doubt that we have become so saturated with caches that there's no where else to hide them! So the issues I see are:

1. maintenance

3. getting hit by a car

AMEN! What I have underlined in the quote above is so true! Nothing wrong with a good micro hide, but so much of the micro hides are "SPEW" or as I like to call it "micro tosses", and not inspiring at all.

Yep, nothing inspires like a pile of sticks next to a tree that can be spotted 90 yards away.

1. maintenance

3. getting hit by a car

May I please have some pie too? :D

Yep, nothing inspires like a pile of sticks next to a tree that can be spotted 90 yards away.

Nothing inspires like a pile of sticks next to a tree that can be spotted 90 yards away, next to a beautiful waterfall at the end of a pleasant walk through the forest. Yep. Love those.

Edited by briansnat

i have to admit, i'm not a fan of all the micros, but maybe there could be a compromise where they could add a feature to the website where you could filter out micros, or at least caches that have logs only. I'd really like something like that.

Upgrade to Premium Membership and you can do that now. Pocket Queries allow you to filter by size, type and a bunch of other attributes.

And as a matter of fact, I DO Have pie... we just finished picking our first blackberries and there have been two pies in our house since this weekend :D

Mmmm. I've been starting to snack on our blackberries (great way to make a hard day better!). I think we're ready to make a blackberry cobbler, or maybe a grunt. Drool-1.gif

The reason so many urban micros are being placed is because so many people keep finding them. Urban micros are found much more often than a rural regular cache.

Personally, I don't like caches placed near landscaping or on things like power transformers. Seems to be popping up more and more. Of course, I have the right not to look for those caches either. IN fact, on a cache that is near landscaping, I just do a visual search without touching the landscaping.

Happy caching.