when is there gonna be a limit on micros?

antaries

hi all i know some of you like micro caches and thats ok!but i think people are abusing em and at the same time running geocaching in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many micros one person can hide at a time! with a limit of say 5 per cacher that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time...

hi all i know some of you like micro caches and thats ok!but i think people are abusing em and at the same time running geocaching in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many micros one person can hide at a time! with a limit of say 5 per cacher that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time...

Uhh... You do realise that a lot of micros aren't skirtlifters and guardrail caches... Right?

I have several micros. A few of them are tree micros and one is even a dreaded skirtlifter, but what I feel are my two best hides are micros.

One is a LPC, but it's on one of those big lampposts without a skirt, but rather caps covering the bolts. I glued a dime in the bottom (top?) of the inside of the aluminum cap and magnetically attached a micro (half a film can). The cap is just quietly sitting with its 3 brothers on this lamppost on a street corner, hidden in plain sight.

Another is a bison tube on a piece of fishing line. I dropped the cache down the gap between a park signpost and the municipal sign u-post that is right up against it. Again an example of a good micro.

I've seen many other good micros, and I don't think placing a limit on those of us who know how to hide good micros is right... :D

hi all i know some of you like raspberry ice cream and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that flavor and at the same time running ice cream eating in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many raspberry ice creams one person can make at a time! with a limit of say 5 per ice cream maker that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :D

The OP has expressed a preference for larger size caches. He fails to realize other people have a preference for micros. Some people find small and regular caches too easy to find. Or they like the fact that micros can be hidden in places where a larger cache would not last as long. The OP makes a claim that micros are choking out the caches he thinks are more fun. There is no evidence of this as people continue to hide small, regular, and large caches. Of course there are times when someone hides a micro in a location where a bigger cache might have been hidden successfully. But there are still plenty of places left to hide a bigger cache. Quotas on the number of caches someone can place are probably not the way to go. A quota may have the opposite effect. It may choke out the creativity of allowing cachers to select the container they feel is best for their hide in a particular location. There may be cachers who will hide caches just to meet their quota. Quotas sound like affirmative action for larger caches. If you need an affirmative action program to get people to place certain sizes of caches, perhaps there is a reason that other sizes are being used in the first place. Think about it.

Edited by tozainamboku

hi all i know some of you like raspberry ice cream and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that flavor and at the same time running ice cream eating in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many raspberry ice creams one person can make at a time! with a limit of say 5 per ice cream maker that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :D

B) I am not sure if I should laugh or not.

Ooh, I think I like this game.

hi all i know some of you like popcorn and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that snack and at the same time running snack eating in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many bags of popcorn one person can make at a time! with a limit of say 5 per popcorn maker that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... B)

hi all i know some of you like popcorn and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that snack and at the same time running snack eating in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many bags of popcorn one person can make at a time! with a limit of say 5 per popcorn maker that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... B)

hi all i know some of you like pop and thats ok!but i think people are abusing the 12 fluid ounce size and at the same time running pop drinking in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many 12 oz. cans of pop one person can drink at a time! with a limit of say 5 per person that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :D

The signal eating ice cream smiley came from a thread on banning or limiting micros. As is the case with these threads on topics that are repeated so often, the forum regulars quickly took the thread off-topic by discussing their favorite flavors of ice cream in hopes that a moderator would lock thread. Someone made the Signal eating ice cream icon and put it in the thread and Jeremy liked it so it became an official icon. In the meantime, I figured that complaining about micros was roughly equivalent to complaining about too much of one flavor of ice cream. I've been using ice cream analogies ever since then.

As is the case with these threads on topics that are repeated so often, the forum regulars quickly took the thread off-topic by discussing their favorite flavors of ice cream in hopes that a moderator would lock thread.

Peach Cobbler

Peach cobbler recipe is made with fresh, frozen, or canned peaches, butter, and other ingredients.

Ingredients:

* 3 cups sliced peaches, fresh, canned, or frozen (thawed)

* 1 tablespoon lemon juice

* 1 cup all-purpose flour

* 1 cup granulated sugar

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 egg, beaten

* 6 tablespoons melted butter

Preparation:

Place peaches on bottom of a 10x6x2-inch baking pan; sprinkle with lemon juice. Sift together the dry ingredients; add egg. Toss until crumbly then sprinkle over peaches. Drizzle with the melted butter. Bake at 375° for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

Edited by Taoiseach

hi all i know some of you like popcorn and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that snack and at the same time running snack eating in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many bags of popcorn one person can make at a time! with a limit of say 5 per popcorn maker that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :D

hi all i know some of you like pop and thats ok!but i think people are abusing the 12 fluid ounce size and at the same time running pop drinking in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many 12 oz. cans of pop one person can drink at a time! with a limit of say 5 per person that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :cool:

I cant help myself! B)

hi all i know some of you like ammo can and thats ok!but i think people are abusing the .50 caliber ammo can and at the same time running ammo can hiding in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many .50 caliber ammo can one person can hide at a time! with a limit of say 5 per person that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time...

hi all i know some of you like popcorn and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that snack and at the same time running snack eating in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many bags of popcorn one person can make at a time! with a limit of say 5 per popcorn maker that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :D

hi all i know some of you like pop and thats ok!but i think people are abusing the 12 fluid ounce size and at the same time running pop drinking in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many 12 oz. cans of pop one person can drink at a time! with a limit of say 5 per person that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time... :cool:

I cant help myself! B)

hi all i know some of you like ammo can and thats ok!but i think people are abusing the .50 caliber ammo can and at the same time running ammo can hiding in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many .50 caliber ammo can one person can hide at a time! with a limit of say 5 per person that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time...

My Turn!

hi all i know some of you like posting in the forums and thats ok!but i think people are abusing the forums and at the same time running forum posting in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many forum posts one person can post in a day! with a limit of say 5 per person that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time...

The signal eating ice cream smiley came from a thread on banning or limiting micros. As is the case with these threads on topics that are repeated so often, the forum regulars quickly took the thread off-topic by discussing their favorite flavors of ice cream in hopes that a moderator would lock thread. Someone made the Signal eating ice cream icon and put it in the thread and Jeremy liked it so it became an official icon. In the meantime, I figured that complaining about micros was roughly equivalent to complaining about too much of one flavor of ice cream. I've been using ice cream analogies ever since then.

I was wondering where and how that ice cream icon come in. Now it making sense! :D

Humm, I have a trail out here that we are working on that is 16 miles long. Placing an ammo can every .2 miles is going to cost a fortune as well as the fact that I cant carry that many Ammo cans at one time.

I'm going to stick to film cans for this trail.

P.S. there is no easy way to get from one end the other, its in the mountains with no water easily found.

While I agree about the reliance of micros are hitting an all time high, I would also say that it really should only be used in areas where a larger cache is not sustainable i.e. highly concentrated urban areas. Honestly, a nano in the woods is just not my cup of tea. If I see there is a nano while on a trail, I generally by-pass that.

The caveat to all of this, though is a micro I placed on a trail. This was due to no area adjacent to a beautiful view could accommodate a larger cache. So I entitled it, "How could you place a micro here?" And explained my actions in the description.

The best that you could do is place larger cachers in your area and hope others will emulate.

But then again this would probably go into the same bucket as, should brand new users not place caches until they hit ### finds and other topics that create heat around here.

Uhh... You do realise that a lot of micros aren't skirtlifters and guardrail caches... Right?

I have several micros. A few of them are tree micros and one is even a dreaded skirtlifter, but what I feel are my two best hides are micros.

One is a LPC, but it's on one of those big lampposts without a skirt, but rather caps covering the bolts. I glued a dime in the bottom (top?) of the inside of the aluminum cap and magnetically attached a micro (half a film can). The cap is just quietly sitting with its 3 brothers on this lamppost on a street corner, hidden in plain sight.

Another is a bison tube on a piece of fishing line. I dropped the cache down the gap between a park signpost and the municipal sign u-post that is right up against it. Again an example of a good micro.

I've seen many other good micros, and I don't think placing a limit on those of us who know how to hide good micros is right... :D

Not sure if I'd call those "good micros". What is the interesting feature of each? Only that it is a slight variation on what has been done oh so often? One of the best micros I have found is a run of the mill skirt lifter. It is in an historic place.

I don't think a limit on the number of micros a cacher can hide is going to make a difference in the quality of the caches we find. Instead of trying to enact and enforce such limits lets try to encourage more thoughtful hides.

And it has become more monotonous than the average skirt lifter cache.

maybe the proximity rule needs to be adjusted to compensate for cache size.

micros: no other micros allowed within 500 meters, and no larger caches within 150 meters.

small: no other small or micro caches allowed within 500 meters, and no larger caches within 150 meters.

regular: no other regular, small or micro caches allowed within 500 meters. no large caches within 150 meters.

large: no other caches within 150 meters.

B)

or maybe the other way around? :D

Edited by dfx

This is the way I see things: if I find a full sized box but only sign the log and take none of the stuff, isn't that pretty much the same as a micro? I like finding a mixture of both regulars and micros. Some of the micros are too easy, but some of them are just beastly to find. They add to the challenge and the obsession of caching. I have 12 hides out now, and 9 of them are micros. None of these micros are skirtlifters or guardrails. If done with a little advance thought, micros can be just as much fun and challenging as a full sized cache.

While I agree about the reliance of micros are hitting an all time high, I would also say that it really should only be used in areas where a larger cache is not sustainable i.e. highly concentrated urban areas. Honestly, a nano in the woods is just not my cup of tea. If I see there is a nano while on a trail, I generally by-pass that.

The caveat to all of this, though is a micro I placed on a trail. This was due to no area adjacent to a beautiful view could accommodate a larger cache. So I entitled it, "How could you place a micro here?" And explained my actions in the description.

The best that you could do is place larger cachers in your area and hope others will emulate.

But then again this would probably go into the same bucket as, should brand new users not place caches until they hit ### finds and other topics that create heat around here.

Depending on the location such a hide could also cause undesirable wear and tear on a location.

Humm, I have a trail out here that we are working on that is 16 miles long. Placing an ammo can every .2 miles is going to cost a fortune as well as the fact that I cant carry that many Ammo cans at one time.

P.S. there is no easy way to get from one end the other, its in the mountains with no water easily found.

Are you prepared to do the maintenance on all those caches when the wet log reports start coming in? Or are you depending on the kindness of strangers to do it for you as they hunt the string?

This is the way I see things: if I find a full sized box but only sign the log and take none of the stuff, isn't that pretty much the same as a micro? I like finding a mixture of both regulars and micros. Some of the micros are too easy, but some of them are just beastly to find. They add to the challenge and the obsession of caching. I have 12 hides out now, and 9 of them are micros. None of these micros are skirtlifters or guardrails. If done with a little advance thought, micros can be just as much fun and challenging as a full sized cache.

Not really. Each requires its own type of search. The smaller the container the more likely spots to be searched, in some environments. I think it is more important to figure out what size container and type of hide is appropriate for a location than making it as challenging as possible. Some places can reasonably support a challenging hide and some places can't.

I'm probably gonna catch a lot of heat for posting this...

Yeah, probably. There are many folks playing this game who, for one reason or another, love the caches on the smaller end of the size scale. Meh. Locally, micros represent roughly 98.7% of all uninspired hides, so I simply ignore them, focusing on the ones I do like instead. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing. Besides, the "I Hate Micros" thread is not scheduled to start for another two days.

(Yes, it's true. Making up statistics is a time honored Internet tradition) :D

When is there going to be a limit on forum posts complaining about micros?

According to Miss Cleo, the "Micros Suck" threads will stop exactly 3.2 hours after the last crappy micro has been pulled from the Groundspeak servers.

Sounds like an awesome adventure! I just wanted to add, since you've already decided on using caches at the smaller end of the size scale, there are actually micro sized containers that do not suck. Film cans, due partly to their utter lack of ability to repel moisture, are the poster children for crappy caches. Waterproof match containers and soda bottle preforms are very inexpensive, easy to carry and are a lot more waterproof than film cans. If you take pride in your hide, folks will thank you for it.

hi all i know some of you like reality TV shows and thats ok!but i think people are abusing that type and at the same time running television in the ground! i think there should be a limit on how many reality shows one cable company can air in a season ! with a limit of say 5 per cable company that should keep em from choking out the fun stuff! im prolly gonna catch alot of heat for posting this but think about it! thanks for your time...

Except for Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs... Those are cool.

tozainamboku, Wednesday 4:31 PM

Stop eating Butter Pecan ice cream.

Of course if you stop looking for or logging cache you don't like other people will still be finding those caches and logging "TFTC" so it probably won't have much effect.

Some people like Butter Pecan ice cream. I can't imagine who they are or why there are so many. I wish there were only the flavors that I like. But so far I haven't been able to convince the manufacturers to stop making those other flavors or the other ice cream consumers to stop buying them.

CoyoteRed, Thursday 6:35 AM

The "Ice Cream Rebuttal:" This might be a valid rebuttal if ice cream came in infinite flavors which would mean you'd only know if you liked it after you sampled it. Sure, you could look through the case and check the name, ingredients and color, but without sampling it, you wouldn't know. Why do you think every shop--that I've been in anyway--give free tastes?

Rockin Roddy, Thursday 6:43 AM

That's why I'd suggest everyone "sample" the various caches out there before ignoring "microspew"!

CoyoteRed, Thursday 7:03 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about sampling the various styles of hides of which one is MicroSpew™. Am I understanding correctly?

If so, this is exactly what I'm talking about. If not, then you pretty much have to sample each cache, in person, to see if it's worthwhile to visit.

You can't know that a particular cache is spew until you sample it--that particular cache--and then you've already got the taste in your mouth. There's no button, type, icon, or attribute that identifies a cache as spew. This is why spew is mistaken as micros or urbans or easy caches. Spew can't be virtually visited as you never know if a weird statue is in front of a Target or a cool mosaic is across from a street corner--unless it is mentioned in the description and logs. Of course, doing so would then ruin the surprise.

Of course, we wouldn't have to visit each and every caches to see if it was worthwhile to visit in the first place if we were able to rely on others to determine this for us. The problem is we don't have the tools to reliably do so.

Markwell, Thursday 7:39 AM

So the ice cream analogy is more akin to Bertie Bot's Every Flavor Beans?

"You want to be careful with those," Ron warned Harry. "When they say every flavor, they mean every flavor -- you know, you get all the ordinary ones like chocolate and peppermint and marmalade, but then you can get spinach and liver and tripe. George reckons he had a booger-flavored one once."

Ron picked up a green bean, looked at it carefully, and bit into a corner.

"Bleaaargh -- see? Sprouts."

You can try to mix it up. An ammo can or two, some regular sized and small Lock n Locks, peanut butter jars, etc. It would be a far more interesting power trail than a film canister every thousand feet.

I'm sure you got the required permission to place those micros as well, correct? I personally dislike micros and usually skip them, but that's simply my preference. However, the biggest problem I see with micros is that people hide them anywhere they want without getting permission from the property owner. I guess the CO figures it's too small to worry about, but I was looking for a micro a couple of weeks ago and the property owner stopped to see what was going on. He was OK with it, but no one had bothered to contact him about placing it. His elderly neighbors became quite concerned when they saw several strangers around during the day, and the state police ended up getting called. So micros are OK for those who enjoy them as long as the permission rule is followed.

When is there going to be a limit on forum posts complaining about micros?

I rather enjoy them. When looking for smug superior feelings, a good micro hating entitlement thread will do in a pinch. Like shooting fish in a barrel. B)

It also puts the bell on the cat for the when will they geocide offline pool.

My bet: no geocide. Just a return to lurking when no bandwagon rolls away eradicating the micro scurge. :D

Edited by Snoogans

Not sure if I'd call those "good micros". What is the interesting feature of each? Only that it is a slight variation on what has been done oh so often? One of the best micros I have found is a run of the mill skirt lifter. It is in an historic place.

I don't think a limit on the number of micros a cacher can hide is going to make a difference in the quality of the caches we find. Instead of trying to enact and enforce such limits lets try to encourage more thoughtful hides.

The most interesting feature of those hides is the work you have to in advance. I think all of Taoiseach's caches are letterbox hybrids, multis, and puzzles, except for the ones he's adopted.

We live in a city where there are plenty of interesting places, but not always a great hiding spot. Creating a multi is a good way to bring people to those places. And cachers appreciate ending the multi with a well-hidden micro close to the multi stages, rather than having to drive out of town to find a bigger cache.

I'm sure you got the required permission to place those micros as well, correct? I personally dislike micros and usually skip them, but that's simply my preference. However, the biggest problem I see with micros is that people hide them anywhere they want without getting permission from the property owner. I guess the CO figures it's too small to worry about, but I was looking for a micro a couple of weeks ago and the property owner stopped to see what was going on. He was OK with it, but no one had bothered to contact him about placing it. His elderly neighbors became quite concerned when they saw several strangers around during the day, and the state police ended up getting called. So micros are OK for those who enjoy them as long as the permission rule is followed.

There's no such thing as too small to worry about. We're fortunate to live in a place that has pretty much given us carte blanche to hide caches on public property. Taoiseach has one LPC (a puzzle final) on university property, for which he obtained permission.

I rarely see caches on private residential land. Unfortunately, too many cachers place LPCs in places like mall parking lots, unaware that those places are privately owned. Our transit authority has asked us not to places caches on any of their property, but occasionally a cache slips through - usually an LPC in a park and ride lot.

I've seen many other good micros, and I don't think placing a limit on those of us who know how to hide good micros is right... :)

The most interesting feature of those hides is the work you have to in advance. I think all of Taoiseach's caches are letterbox hybrids, multis, and puzzles, except for the ones he's adopted.

We live in a city where there are plenty of interesting places, but not always a great hiding spot. Creating a multi is a good way to bring people to those places. And cachers appreciate ending the multi with a well-hidden micro close to the multi stages, rather than having to drive out of town to find a bigger cache.

Described like that they sound much more interesting. If I ever get up to that area I will make it a point to search out a few. But to be honest with you I usually avoid micros because the lions share of them are same/same park-n-grabs. No interest past the added smilie. I miss a few good caches but there are plenty more out there and the averages are better without the little ones.