People who don't actually find the cache

GLK1

I guess I play this sport different than most people. Someone hides a cache, I try and go find it. I take nothing, I leave nothing. I have a very basic GPS, No bells or whistles. I could care less about a FTF. If I don't find it, I may or may not return. There is one I have been to six times. I just can't find it. Now what gets me, is the people who claim a find, when they have not found anything. Also the people who are lead by the hand to a cache by the CO. How many times can you PAF from the cache site? People who don't even have there GPS with them, know of a cache, and PAF to get them to GZ. The people who travel in a pack, with multiple GPS's. I guess I do it the old fashioned way, I earn every "smiley" I claim. I think for a lot of people it is a "numbers" game. This is just my opinion.

I guess I play this sport different than most people. Someone hides a cache, I try and go find it. I take nothing, I leave nothing. I have a very basic GPS, No bells or whistles. I could care less about a FTF. If I don't find it, I may or may not return. There is one I have been to six times. I just can't find it. Now what gets me, is the people who claim a find, when they have not found anything. Also the people who are lead by the hand to a cache by the CO. How many times can you PAF from the cache site? People who don't even have there GPS with them, know of a cache, and PAF to get them to GZ. The people who travel in a pack, with multiple GPS's. I guess I do it the old fashioned way, I earn every "smiley" I claim. I think for a lot of people it is a "numbers" game. This is just my opinion.

Keep your integrity. Don't let how others play the game discourage you.

Really... if anyone "cheats" (whether or not cheating really exists in caching is debatable), they are only cheating themselves.

Don't let anyone else get ya down. Geocaching is as much fun as *you* personally make it. Personally, I don't think that asking for help is a bad thing. I'm always happy to help folks find my caches if they can't. I put out caches to be found. Not everyone is a cache finding genius!

As many others will probably say on this board... don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

I am curious.

What was it that motivated you to post this?

I am curious.

What was it that motivated you to post this?

There is a cache in a nearby town. It is a NANO. In a park, on a bench. The first time I was there I could not find it. A few months went by, and no one found it. On my second visit, It was found laying on the ground. I found it, SL put it back on said bench and sent a note to the CO to where I hid it on the bench. Again a month or more as gone by, and no finds. I was looking at all of the ones I have found and noticed that this one is disabled. The bench if gone. So how can you claim a find when it is not there? I guess I play a more honest game.

Really... if anyone "cheats" (whether or not cheating really exists in caching is debatable), they are only cheating themselves.

Not exactly. If you log a find on a cache you are essentially telling the community that the cache is there. If the cache is actually missing your phony log may delay needed maintenance and entice other cachers to look for a missing cache and perhaps cause them to spend a longer time looking for it than they would have ("It must be here, it was found this morning").

It messes with your fellow geocachers and can waste their time and money and that is not nice.

This isn't a far fetched situation. It happened to me as an owner and a searcher and one forum member here wasted an hour round trip ride when a cache that was thought to be missing had a bogus find on it, encouraging him to look for it.

Edited by briansnat

Not exactly. If you log a find on a cache you are essentially telling the community that the cache is there. If the cache is actually missing your phony log may delay needed maintenance and entice other cachers to look for a missing cache and perhaps cause them to spend a longer time looking for it than they would have ("It must be here, it was found this morning").

It messes with your fellow geocachers and can waste their time and money and that is not nice.

This isn't a far fetched situation. It happened to me as an owner and a searcher and one forum member here wasted an hour round trip ride when a cache that was thought to be missing had a bogus find on it, encouraging him to look for it.

That is a good point, but really, that doesn't ruin the game for me. I just try again elsewhere. But yes, I can definitely see your point.

there is nothing wrong with 'traveling in a pack'. my brothers and i often cache together. when one of us finds the cache we say nothing and wait for the others to also find it.

you must live close to me. i am in mt. morris and we have found some of the same caches.

which one have you looked for 6 times? i'm curious about it. :D

there is nothing wrong with 'traveling in a pack'. my brothers and i often cache together. when one of us finds the cache we say nothing and wait for the others to also find it.

you must live close to me. i am in mt. morris and we have found some of the same caches.

You mean the one I think about!!! LOL... Its the Millington Micro, 120 people have found it, but I can't seem to find it. I will get it sooner or latter, with no CO help or PAF. I don't know any one else who does this sport, so I could'nt PAF if I wanted too. Happy Caching to you.

You mean the one I think about!!! LOL... Its the Millington Micro, 120 people have found it, but I can't seem to find it. I will get it sooner or latter, with no CO help or PAF. I don't know any one else who does this sport, so I could'nt PAF if I wanted too. Happy Caching to you.

well, if you want to meet up sometime PM me. i will also be at the midwest geobash next saturday.

well, if you want to meet up sometime PM me. i will also be at the midwest geobash next saturday.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind when it really statrs to bug me. LOL !!!

The 'Old Fashioned Way' is definitely the best way.

Keep on Cachin'!

Do it your own way.

Don't let the others bother you.

Seriously, if you let the way others cache bother you, you are likely to implode with annoyance.

So if you don't know any other cacher, how do you make such a blanket statement that other cachers cheat? Isn't that presumptuous?

Edited by buttaskotch

Sometimes, a long, solitary hike to an ammo can is fun.

Sometimes, getting really stumped on a challenging hide, getting a nudge from the owner, and finally finding the cache is fun.

Sometimes, driving around from LPC to LPC with a dozen people packed into three cars is fun.

I think for most people, this game is about fun. Perhaps some of us define this slightly differently, but as long as the way *I* log a cache doesn't interfere with the way *you* log a cache, I don't see why these smug rants about "smileys" are necessary.

Sometimes, a long, solitary hike to an ammo can is fun.

Sometimes, getting really stumped on a challenging hide, getting a nudge from the owner, and finally finding the cache is fun.

Sometimes, driving around from LPC to LPC with a dozen people packed into three cars is fun.

I think for most people, this game is about fun. Perhaps some of us define this slightly differently, but as long as the way *I* log a cache doesn't interfere with the way *you* log a cache, I don't see why these smug rants about "smileys" are necessary.

Something I agree with narcissa on. :D

...The people who travel in a pack, with multiple GPS's. ...

We tend to call that "having a great day out with friends, with good conversation, a good walk for the dogs, usually a nice picnic and sometimes a pint in the pub at the end if we're lucky and have any cash"

We all have some sort of GPS device so that when we get to the bit that interrupts the "..good conversation, good walk, etc etc" (the cache finding bit) we all stand a chance of finding one.

Being with friends is what makes our days out.

Never seen this as 'cheating' really.

...The people who travel in a pack, with multiple GPS's. ...

We tend to call that "having a great day out with friends, with good conversation, a good walk for the dogs, usually a nice picnic and sometimes a pint in the pub at the end if we're lucky and have any cash"

We all have some sort of GPS device so that when we get to the bit that interrupts the "..good conversation, good walk, etc etc" (the cache finding bit) we all stand a chance of finding one.

Being with friends is what makes our days out.

Never seen ths as 'cheating' really.

Caching with family and friends is one of the best parts of the sport. I've had some wonderful times going out with a pack and multiple GPSes. Cheating? I really don't see how, but it certainly is fun.

Edited by briansnat

Caching with family and friends is one of the best parts of the sport--AMEN.

One of my non geocaching friends really enjoys coming on our group hikes or bikes, enjoys hearing the hint and enjoys searching.. It is jus fun to occassionally get together and enjoy a shared activity and conversation and experience.

You post is very interesting in it's dichotomy. In the first half of your post (which I bolded), you are basically saying that you have fun playing the game your way, which is different than others' methods. In the second half, you basically tell us that anyone who does it different than you is wrong.

Like I said, VERY interesting.

What I don't understand is when I see that 1-5 people found the cache the same day or day before. Seperate entries so I'm guessing not a group. I enter my found it log and check to see if the other people logged it that day. They don't! it's so weird. Some people just never log the find online I guess.

What I don't understand is when I see that 1-5 people found the cache the same day or day before. Seperate entries so I'm guessing not a group. I enter my found it log and check to see if the other people logged it that day. They don't! it's so weird. Some people just never log the find online I guess.

Yes people don't always log on line. When I check the logs of my caches anyone that has not logged on line has their log deleted.

Maybe they just haven't logged them yet. I know that I have a dozen or so still to log from June.

Yes people don't always log on line. When I check the logs of my caches anyone that has not logged on line has their log deleted.

How do you delete a log if there is no online log? Do you erase their signature from the paper log?

How do you delete a log if there is no online log? Do you erase their signature from the paper log?

i would like to know that too :P

i would like to know that too :P

Well, I get out my handy dandy sharpie and cross their name off or if I can I get out my scissors and cut their name out of the log. ;)

Now what gets me, is the people who claim a find, when they have not found anything.

Yep. I'm 100% with you on that. I think, however, that the incidence rate for bogus finds on physical caches is quite low.

Thanks for participating in the forums. I have learned a lot, refined and even changed many of my early impressions and positions on specific issues by participating in discussions here.

The people who travel in a pack, with multiple GPS's.

It is and has always been commonly accepted practice that to qualify for a smiley all you need do is be at the immediate cache site in the presence of the open container and the log is signed either by you or for you with you standing right there. How you got there, who led you and who opened the container is really a moot point.

Geocaches are very similar to backpacking caches. When a group of hikers gets to the much needed cache of food in order to continue their adventure it does not matter to the group who finds the cache. All benefit from the find.

I guess I do it the old fashioned way, I earn every "smiley" I claim.

It is a barrel of monkeys to be out with small and large groups. My discussion immediately above is also part of "the old fashioned way".

I think for a lot of people it is a "numbers" game.

If you get to know some of the power cachers in your area or view their profiles it shouldn't take long to discover that imbedded within their big numbers are plenty of solo caching runs and higher difficulty/terrain rated caches.

It has been shown in past forum posts and statictical programs like INABTN and Fizzymagic's that most experienced cachers have around 10% higher difficulty/terrain cache finds. For example, a cacher with 8000 finds would have somewhere around 800 tougher finds. That's not chump change.

Also the people who are lead by the hand to a cache by the CO. How many times can you PAF from the cache site? People who don't even have there GPS with them, know of a cache, and PAF to get them to GZ.

I am guessing that PAF and being hand led to caches amounts to no more than 5% of anyone's find count and even that percentage seems rather high to me.

Now what gets me, is.... The people who travel in a pack, with multiple GPS's.

Really??

I don't know why that "gets" you. If you cache with your wife is that a "pack"? With your kids? With your buddies? With a geocaching group?

Our "Pack Caching" with large groups and long hikes thru the woods have been among our best experiences. Human beings like to congregate in groups, clans, fraternities, city states, what have you--it's what they do. Dogs, too. by the way.

Don't let it bother you. :(

Edited by Earthdog Patrick
I guess I play this sport different than most people.

Nah, that is how most people play. Don't let the others discourage you from playing the way you want to. I'll make the occasional PAF to get a hint, especially if I'm away from my normal stomping grounds, or have failed to find it on several visits. But I won't log a find if I didn't actually find it, even if the CO offers one up. That's how I play.

It depends on my mood. I've done a lot of solo caching. I've also done some group caching. Somedays I'll go after only high difficuly/terrain. I'm embarking on my second power run this weekend. A couple weekends ago I teamed up with another cacher to work through puzzles in Charlotte, NC and at some point we'll spend a day just finding puzzle caches. I have fun doing it all. I rarely ever use PAF's (only really during my streak).

i would like to know that too :)

Well, I get out my handy dandy sharpie and cross their name off or if I can I get out my scissors and cut their name out of the log. :wub:

Some people work so hard... cutting bait, wiring it to the hook, charging the batteries in the motor. But you... they just jump in the boat, don't they?

I hate to say it but after looking at the Cache in question, only 2 people signed the log as found after the bench was missing. And it was these 2 people who reported the bench as missing, and notified the CO that the bench was missing so the cache would become archived.

Sure they might have added 1 to their numbers, but at least they made sure no one else searched for this "Missing" cache. After reading the OP's post, I was expecting to see piles of people still logging "Finds" and continuing on their way.

Personally I would have logged these as DNF's, but to each their own. No need to go on a side rant about people caching with friends, ect. I would rather see people walking somewhere in a casual group, then see people driving from lightpost to lightpost to claim their finds.

Who knows, maybe someone else will claim you didn't earn the cache unless you found it naked, covered in honey with swarming bees and a few hungry bears chasing you.