How to describe Geocaching to someone that doesn't know?

Ok, so I am currently sitting our Up North Tracks table at a local community event.

It has been interesting trying to describe what geocaching is to people that have never heard about it.

So, my question for this forum, how do you describe this sport/hobby to someone that has never heard of it?

Tell them it's a high tech game of Hide and Seek with an object. Or, tell them its sort of like an adult version of an easter egg hunt.

If they need more information give them the website, geocaching.com

Edited by randco

Ok, so I am currently sitting our Up North Tracks table at a local community event.

It has been interesting trying to describe what geocaching is to people that have never heard about it.

So, my question for this forum, how do you describe this sport/hobby to someone that has never heard of it?

My method is pretty simple:

I normally start by saying "It like a high tech scavenger hunt using GPSs. People hide containers, often in unusual or interesting places, and post the coordinates online. Then you can download the coordinates and try and find the containers."

This explanation works for 90% of the times I've had to explain it, even to muggles in the field.

I suggest you point them to the post "Not a geocacher, just joined to find something out" posted earlier. It should give them a real insight! At least it will keep them away from the forums.

Apologies or not; some of you SHOULD be ashamed.

You all need to get over Ashnikes.

I am disgusted!

On topic again. I seriously would show them the thread!

Roy (munchime)

"It's a GPS scavenger hunt."

Essentially everyone knows what GPS is and what a scavenger hunt is so it is not too hard to understand combining the two.

Sometimes I follow it up with the job about using billion dollar government satellites to find tupperware in the woods but only if I think I have a receptive audience. :)

Hand them a "Muggle Card"

Scubasonic

I suggest you point them to the post "Not a geocacher, just joined to find something out" posted earlier. It should give them a real insight! At least it will keep them away from the forums.

I am disgusted!

Roy (munchime)

You are confusing the forums with geocaching. They are not the same thing. Would you describe soccer to someone by telling them to go to an Internet forum where fanatics discuss the game?

I am disgusted!

Roy (munchime)

This is how you come here and "improve" the place? By making sarcastic, off-topic posts? I think perhaps you need to get over that thread. It has been dealt with very thoroughly already.

Back on-topic: Yeah, I suppose the dreaded "Hi-tech game of hide-and-seek" cliche is about as good as you need, although it always makes me crings.

First, what is "hi-tech" about it? We didn't invent or build the GPSr. We just turn it on. That one little word could scare some people off.

Second... didn't you play "hide-and-seek" when you were a kid? Is it really anything like geocaching?

Actually, I'm not very big at proselytizing our activity. I don't see what is to be gained by having more people doing it. Those that really want to do it, and will stick it out for the long haul, will figure out what they need to do and will do it whether we proselytize or not. But that's just my thought, and I think I'm in the minority there.

Edited by knowschad

My method is pretty simple:

I normally start by saying "It like a high tech scavenger hunt using GPSs. People hide containers, often in unusual or interesting places, and post the coordinates online. Then you can download the coordinates and try and find the containers."

This explanation works for 90% of the times I've had to explain it, even to muggles in the field.

That's about what I say, too, though usually not quite so eloquently. (Excuse me while I go memorize your wording! :) ) If they seem disinterested, you can stop there, you've said all that you need to. If they seem interested, then go into greater detail.