Ammo Boxes

Are they prone to being geomuggled? I really fancy investing in a couple just for a change from the usual larger Tupperware boxes but I'm sure I read somewhere that they were sought after by other so-called cachers, with a few horror stories of the ammo box being taken and replaced with either a Tupperware box or, at worst, a plastic bag!

I know they're not particularly expensive and if it means I need to chain them down somehow then so be it but if there's a history of these disappearing with alarming regularity I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Any thoughts...?

If it's well hidden, there's less chance of it being muggled.

Seems one of the best ways to stop an ammo can from 'changing size' :anibad: is to NOT refer to it as an ammo can in the description.

(And keep an eye on the logs, in case someone says 'Nice ammo can')

That's exactly right. I've had two ammo cans stolen. The first, a few years ago, was replaced with a Tesco carrier bag, the second more recently with a lidless plastic tub. I've removed all references to ammo cans from my cache descriptions now and I've immediately deleted logs that make reference to them (with an email to the logee explaining why and asking them to relog)

So far, no more problems. :anibad:

Edited to add that unfortunately, I don't believe it was a passing 'muggle' that took them but another geocacher :cry:

Edited by Pharisee

I've had 5 ammo box caches out for 3-6 years and they have never been muggled. Some of the descriptions mention the ammo boxes and lots of the logs in recent times do, as although they were once common they are becoming an increasingly rare sight. I guess if you have an ammo box thief close by you would be best choosing tupperware but in most areas I would think you are safe to use ammo boxes without fear of geocaching thieves.

I have had two ammo boxes out, and both have gone. Not even replaced with anything. Now I am not one to point fingers at other cachers, but at the two sites where I had boxes I can only assume that it was another cacher, as they were out of the way and very well hidden. I haven't put any out since. I still plan to put another one out, but I am going to mark it in such a way that if I find another cache of the same ilk, I will know whether it is my ammo box or not. Shame really when it comes to this.

I was asked to amend a log and as it was in Bedfordshire, it might have been by Pharisee. I perfectly understood the reasons and I would only say "nice container" in future.

Hoping to see this appear around Wickford some time soon, especially if it doesn't contain soggy crud like most of the caches we've found recently!

A year or so ago, someone mentioned they had a supply of ammo boxes and could ship 6 for the same postage rate. I bought some and they where great, but cant find the post or remember the person, can anyone help.

Hands Up! It was me what supplied them!

Since then, ammo boxes have virtually disappeared off the second hand market and are as rare as the legendary hens teeth.

I do still manage to get hold of the odd batch of 20 or 30 boxes, and am happy to sell them on for what I have to pay my MOD source.

The most recent batch (May) cost me £6 each, and they all had brand new watertight seals fitted.

I would need to check, but a carriage charge of £15 should cover a "next day" delivery of 5 or 6 boxes.

A year or so ago, someone mentioned they had a supply of ammo boxes and could ship 6 for the same postage rate. I bought some and they where great, but cant find the post or remember the person, can anyone help.

Hands Up! It was me what supplied them!

Since then, ammo boxes have virtually disappeared off the second hand market and are as rare as the legendary hens teeth.

I do still manage to get hold of the odd batch of 20 or 30 boxes, and am happy to sell them on for what I have to pay my MOD source.

The most recent batch (May) cost me £6 each, and they all had brand new watertight seals fitted.

I would need to check, but a carriage charge of £15 should cover a "next day" delivery of 5 or 6 boxes.

Yippee, I cant believe I never kept your details will pm you now.

Right then!

I have just been told that a batch of 26 boxes is available for me to collect later this week.

These are the smaller of the 2 sizes of ammo box, and are known as the "half size box" or "7.62 mm size"

This shows the typical spec

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/arm...box-303198.html

External paint condition varies but all boxes are sound and have good seals.

The cost is £6 each (no VAT) + postage

The last time that I sent some out by "next day courier" ( the most cost effective way), a cardboard box with 5 or 6 ammo boxes in it was charged at £15.

I am currently checking this figure and can give you a firm cost before shipping (depends on how many you want!).

The following cachers have said that they would like some boxes.

Dr Solly & Reddeeps

Could they please contact me to say how many they would like?

If anybody else is interested, then get in quick because "when they are gone, they are gone"

Rod

Rod, you might want to look at one of the ebay type shipping people.

£15 sounds a little excessive.

I've used parcel2go in the past. They turn up at your house or work or other, pick the stuff up and deliver it a day or 2 later.

If you use the 3 day service (usually takes 1-2 days) then it's £5.95 plus VAT

That's up to 25kg.

Edited by The Other Stu

If there are any left, I'd like to grab some.... However many you can ship for the standard shipping cost please, be that five or six. Let me know total price and availability and I'll get funds sent over - how'd you like 'em? Cheque? Paypal? Bank Transfer? Cash attached to a TB? :P

Cheers,

Jon.

I can get 6 ammo boxes in a cardboard outer box sent "next day" for £12 inc VAT.

That's using City Link or Business Post, and the consignment is trackable on-line.

I've added on £3 to each consignment to cover my cost of running around to the local Courier depot, parcel tape, and cardboard etc.

I pay £6 for each ammo box and, believe it not, I'm charging £6 each for them!

I could ask more, seeing as they are as rare as hen's teeth at the moment, but I would rather see the ammo boxes out there and being put to use as caches :P

I have to ask for payment by personal cheque, since I'm doing this as a personal thing.

There is no firm here, no staff (except for the dog!), and no website.

I will PM my address details to Dakar4x4, and to anybody else who requests them.

Rod

Hi

If we're not too late, could we have 2 ammo boxes please. Let us know how we fix up with you.

Regards

4 and the dog

I can get 6 ammo boxes in a cardboard outer box sent "next day" for £12 inc VAT.

That's using City Link or Business Post, and the consignment is trackable on-line.

I've added on £3 to each consignment to cover my cost of running around to the local Courier depot, parcel tape, and cardboard etc.

I pay £6 for each ammo box and, believe it not, I'm charging £6 each for them!

I could ask more, seeing as they are as rare as hen's teeth at the moment, but I would rather see the ammo boxes out there and being put to use as caches :P

I have to ask for payment by personal cheque, since I'm doing this as a personal thing.

There is no firm here, no staff (except for the dog!), and no website.

I will PM my address details to Dakar4x4, and to anybody else who requests them.

Rod

adopted an ammo box, which had been out for 3 years, a month later it vanished along with the TB's stored in it, all other contents dumped. Finally replaced it with a small cache not long ago whilst I decide if it will be worthwhile replacing it properly with another or at the least a similar sized plastic container (which as it is located at university depends if I have passed my resit exams or not)

£10?????

I can have a lifetimes worth of excellent micro caches for a lot less.

Advantages - more of a challenge - no room for tat.

Disadvantages - forum members boring us with their anti micro comments.

:):rolleyes:

the best ammo box was the one you got for your birthday :(

Ammo boxes go missing everywhere it seems. I have had 3 of mine taken here in Southern California. In forum discussions, I have learned it is very common. Worse for traditional caches, better for caches in remote areas and multi-caches.

There have been suggestions to discourage theft. First is to use letter/number stamp kit to hammer your name, geocache number into the metal of the box. Second is to glue things to the outside, such as rocks. Third is to fill partly with concrete. This adds weight and diminishes the utility to the thief. Much work, but they really are the best containers.