Not a geocacher, joined to find something out

I have now read all the posts and at the risk of being laughed at more, you may like to know that you now have a 68 year old disabled lady in tears.

I am a 41 year old disabled man. Give me the GC code of the cache and I will be glad to help offset the cost of the damage you say you have experienced. The GC code is located in the top right corner of the page where you read about the "no digging required" and about how the cache owner froze the cache, etc.

I have offered $30 for the GC code. Provide us with that and not only will send you the money order, but I will personally write the Needs Archive log and contact the reviewer and follow up to have it removed.

Downloaded all the caches in the area and scanned through them. Looks like this cache.

GC1VYHV

While the whole situation could still be a sock stirring up trouble, I'm inclined to believe piddlepuss. I apologize for doubting you. The advice you've been given so far are good ones. Namely:

1. Post a note, or a Needs Archive on the cache, stating your reasons.

2. Contact the cache owner, or Groundspeak if you do not get a response from the cache owner

3. Post a sign near the cache saying that it is on private property and that cache is not there. If you find a more suitable place nearby, point them to that place (e.g. "Please go to the base of the tree 40 feet to the south")

Edited by Chrysalides
If you'll read the OP again, you'll see that there is a little apprehension about contacting/confronting the CO. Without having experience and knowledge of the Caching community, there seems to be a little fear of reprisal if the Cache gets archived. We all would know not to be afraid of that, but an outsider may not know. The OP probably was just hesitating to take action without advice. I can certainly understand that when having a problem with an unfamiliar community.

We can all help a LOT more if we have a GC code. She's been to the listing and I've told her where to find the GC code. If she provides that, then WE can post the NA for her. There's nothing for her to fear.

Downloaded all the caches in the area and scanned through them. Looks like this cache.

GC1VYHV

While the whole situation could still be a sock stirring up trouble, I'm inclined to believe piddlepuss. I apologize for doubting you. The advice you've been given so far are good ones. Namely:

1. Post a note, or a Needs Archive on the cache, stating your reasons.

2. Contact the cache owner, or Groundspeak if you do not get a response from the cache owner

3. Post a sign near the cache saying that it is on private property and that cache is not there. If you find a more suitable place nearby, point them to that place (e.g. "Please go to the base of the tree 40 feet to the south")

Ok, I will let this one go. (I still think it is Ash, but since the "no digging required" is encrypted in the hint, then I have no choice but to let this one go)

Therefore, I am going to write a NA on behalf of the OP and if she will PM me her address, I will be happy to send her $30.

Maybe people should just wait for clarification before chiming in.

Maybe it's still a bit too coincidental that someone would post this the day after Ash gets yet another account banned.

But I have my GC code now and I will put my money where my fingers are. If she doesn't PM me her address, then I will send a check to Community Gardens.

Hold the phone.

EVERYTHING the OP said is listed on the cache page.

Cache is in the community gardens (but not in anybody's plot.) The park is generally open from 8am-10pm (daylight hours.)

Cache is a small, orange, waterproof match container. The cache contains a small logbook but there is no pencil. The cache is in an area where it may get wet, so if it needs maintenance at any time, let me know!

The maintenance note says to be careful to replace the cache properly so it does not fall out... perhaps it is just being dislodged by critters and landing in the garden plot... BC critters are agressive in some areas...

especially crows and ravens... squirrels to... lots of critters.

Doug 7rxc... either way that cache owner needs to fix something... since those problems are real...

Again, this is not the place to deal with a forum troll or (now obviously) a legitimately concerned citizen.

I'm finished with this thread. Now that I have the GC code, I have posted the appropriate NA log, contacted the CO and contacted the reviewer that published the cache. It is up to them to figure out if this is legitimate or not.

I am inclined to believe the OP and feel everyone who doubted her should apologize.

To piddlepuss. If I have offended you or caused you grief in any way, I apologize.

Geocaching is a fun sport enjoyed by all walks of life and all ages of people. It is one of the few activities that shows no bias towards race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or class.

Unfortunately this means that the best thing about geocaching is everyone can do it and the worst thing about geocaching is everyone can do it.

If you own a handheld GPS or a smart phone with built in GPS, I urge you to give it a try.

Please do not judge the entire geocaching community by the few regulars who post in the geocaching forums. I feel it would be accurate to say that we don't necessarily portray the average geocacher.

I am inclined to believe the OP and feel everyone who doubted her should apologize.

You are correct.

Piddlepuss,

If I was incorrect in calling you a forum troll, I apologize.

I have contacted the appropriate people to take care of this issue for you.

These matters are generally taken care of very quickly.

Regards,

Geobain

I am really worried now, I have read part of the posts and fast forwarded to the end. I am not sure what to say now..I seem to be mistaken for someone who presumaby has caused trouble for you all.You have made me a wee bit nervous frankly.

We certainly do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings.

You asked a question and numerous people answered with apologies and excellent advice.

Had you followed the suggestions you would have solved your problem - Groundspeak would have archived (removed the published listing) and that would be that.

We respect land owners and managers rights and do not want to blacken the name of our game or this forum by angering anyone.

However, once your question was asked and properly answered you continued to post about your hurt feelings and being reduced to tears. I don't think many people would do that - they'd take the good advice and hopefully the apologies and solve the problem.

Thus some of us suspect that you may be a rather well-known prankster named ashnikes.

If we're wrong I assure you that filing a Needs Archived log on the cache, or sending a complaint to contact@Groundspeak.com, or contacting the Reviewer who published the cache (the first name at the bottom of the logs) will all get the cache removed and the Reviewer notified that caches should not be posted there. Problem solved. :D

Geesh, if the OP is honest they certainly have had the full load of what this forum can offer.

Thank you!! That's what I've been feeling for some time now, too.

Look people, what would be worse:

1) The OP is Ashnike and he really yanked your chain this time, and you totally missed it because you thought he was really an innocent person that came here to report a problem, and he really made a fool of you.

2) The OP is really an innocent person that came here to report a real problem and you made a fool of them because you thought they were really Ashnike?

Unless you know for sure, please... let's be a little more respectful than this.

Again, this is not the place to deal with a forum troll or (now obviously) a legitimately concerned citizen.

I'm finished with this thread. Now that I have the GC code, I have posted the appropriate NA log, contacted the CO and contacted the reviewer that published the cache. It is up to them to figure out if this is legitimate or not.

There you go. All of the fun without having to actually talk to anyone.

Geesh, if the OP is honest they certainly have had the full load of what this forum can offer.

Thank you!! That's what I've been feeling for some time now, too.

Look people, what would be worse:

1) The OP is Ashnike and he really yanked your chain this time, and you totally missed it because you thought he was really an innocent person that came here to report a problem, and he really made a fool of you.

2) The OP is really an innocent person that came here to report a real problem and you made a fool of them because you thought they were really Ashnike?

Unless you know for sure, please... let's be a little more respectful than this.

Actually no one made a fool of the OP. The question was asked, good answers given, an apologies offered.

That the thread wandered off to suspecting that we had been ashniked has nothing to do with the OP - she got what she needed from the first few replies in a very polite way. At that time she had all she needed to solve the problem.

Continuing the drama after she had what she needed is what still makes me believe it is he. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Its a little late for that now, isn't it?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-b62229c91dbe

Took about two minutes of searching but everything lines up. That would be a lot of work for a hoax.

So is everyone going to dump on the cache owner? Just wondering so I don't waste my time by sending them a friendly email.

I already have. It was before she came back for the 2nd and 3rd time. I'm totally embarrassed by the group reaction to this one.

Embarrassed is an understatement.

So is everyone going to dump on the cache owner? Just wondering so I don't waste my time by sending them a friendly email.

I already have. It was before she came back for the 2nd and 3rd time. I'm totally embarrassed by the group reaction to this one.

Yeah. Snarky as I was, I really did want to know if someone was going to contact the CO so I didn't...pile on.

As a moderator here, be assured that the next forum regular to holler "sock puppet" as a knee jerk reaction without good cause will feel the full force of the forum disciplinary system. This thread started off quite nicely, but a subgroup's obsession with sock puppet accounts ran it off the rails. Don't let that happen again. If you suspect every new poster as a having a nefarious purpose, we will scare more people away from this forum than is currently the case.

The person causing the recent puppet angst has been dealt with - you can go research that - so give it a rest and get back to helping the OP with her questions.

I'll just point out that my response was absolutely genuine and in no way implied anything that groups me into this statement.

Still standing by my posts, I think she's legit.

There you go. All of the fun without having to actually talk to anyone.

Come again?

If I was wrong, then there is no reason for me to add more fuel to the fire. I've contacted the appropriate people.

Had the OP supplied the GC code when asked, then much of this thread would not have occurred.

I'm still not convinced the OP is who she says she is. But now that I have the GC code, I can wait until the CO and mtn-man have a chance to investigate this and figure out if this is a legitimate complaint or not.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-b62229c91dbe

Took about two minutes of searching but everything lines up. That would be a lot of work for a hoax.

Embarrassed is an understatement.

If I turn out to be wrong, I will be the most embarrassed individual here. I will truly have egg on my face and I will genuinely apologize.

I will wait until this is hashed out. And once this is confirmed to be authentic, I will make a full, public apology.

As a moderator here, be assured that the next forum regular to holler "sock puppet" as a knee jerk reaction without good cause will feel the full force of the forum disciplinary system. This thread started off quite nicely, but a subgroup's obsession with sock puppet accounts ran it off the rails. Don't let that happen again. If you suspect every new poster as a having a nefarious purpose, we will scare more people away from this forum than is currently the case.

The person causing the recent puppet angst has been dealt with - you can go research that - so give it a rest and get back to helping the OP with her questions.

Good enough.

Would it be wrong to point out that the Canadian Dollar is currently worth 0.9719 U.S. Dollars? Sorry, just trying to diffuse the situation here a little. :D

The Frog is smart enough to finally ban Ashnikes once and for all through IP forensics. Then again, it is the weekend. The innocent person from BC is just unfortunate to have posted this thread at the worst time ever. There have been many threads like this before, and they almost always turn out to be legitmate. Perhaps a very prominent link on the main page such as AtlasQuest.com has for "Found a letterbox by accident? Need to contact a member? Use our Contact Member page", is overdue.

Had the OP supplied the GC code when asked, then much of this thread would not have occurred.

I'm still not convinced the OP is who she says she is. But now that I have the GC code, I can wait until the CO and mtn-man have a chance to investigate this and figure out if this is a legitimate complaint or not.

Come again? Are you saying that the OP not only had to

• figure out that it was a geocache
  • find out which geocache it was
  • find the website
  • create an account
  • start a forum thread

But in addition, understand what a GC# is and provide us with that information? She already went way above and beyond the "call of duty"!!! :D

I been watching this thread all day and didnt say anything because something told me that she wasnt a sock puppet account.

I just wish people dont jump in conclusion so quickly. Its best to play along and see where it leads to. I know we been having alot of trouble with sock puppet accounts lately, but that doesnt mean every new person in here is one.

If I turn out to be wrong, I will be the most embarrassed individual here. I will truly have egg on my face and I will genuinely apologize.

I will wait until this is hashed out. And once this is confirmed to be authentic, I will make a full, public apology.

That will be a little too late, my friend. I'm afraid the damage is already done, and any apology you make will not be received by the person that needs it most. I have not been immune from making knee-jerk reactions here... believe me. That is a matter of public record. But we do need to try our best to give the benefit of the doubt.
That will be a little too late, my friend. I'm afraid the damage is already done, and any apology you make will not be received by the person that needs it most. I have not been immune from making knee-jerk reactions here... believe me. That is a matter of public record. But we do need to try our best to give the benefit of the doubt.

You are right. If this turns out to be legitimate, then the damage is already done.

But I can assure you that I will go out of my way to try to make amends. I guarantee that. It may be for naught, but I will make ever effort to make it right.

Edited by GeoBain
But in addition, understand what a GC# is and provide us with that information?

It was explained explicitly where to find that. If she wanted this resolved, then yes, she needed to provide the GC code. With that code, this could have been dealt with immediately.

That was not her responsibility!! It wasn't even her responsibility to come here and start this thread. And it sure as &!@# was not her responsibility to prove that she wasn't a sock puppet!!! :DB):D
That was not her responsibility!! It wasn't even her responsibility to come here and start this thread. And it sure as &!@# was not her responsibility to prove that she wasn't a sock puppet!!! :DB):D

You are right. I have no defense other than the truth.

It will either find me guilty as charged or vindicate me.

And frankly at this point, whether I was right or wrong, it has become clear to me that I need to step away for a while.

As keystone very astutely pointed out, I have become obsessed with ashnikes.

And whether this turns out to be valid or not, I have already damaged my reputation.

So all I can say is that no matter what the outcome, I was wrong.

And frankly at this point, whether I was right or wrong, it has become clear to me that I need to step away for a while.

And whether this turns out to be valid or not, I have already damaged my reputation.

Group hug!!!

grouphug.gif

obama%20group%20hug.jpg

group_hug2.jpg

group-hug.jpg

(Whoops... how do I delete that one?)

Edited by knowschad
But in addition, understand what a GC# is and provide us with that information?

It was explained explicitly where to find that. If she wanted this resolved, then yes, she needed to provide the GC code. With that code, this could have been dealt with immediately.

Please see my above post regarding the OP venturing into an unknown community and fearing possible reprisals. She knows nothing of the geocaching community, and had reservations of getting the Cache archived straight out, for fear that the CO may come back and rip out all her plants as revenge. Judging from some of the attitudes displayed in this thread, she is probably even more afraid now that someone may try to get back at get for messing up their game. We can opnly hope that that does NOT happen, as we all know it has happened sometimes.

There indeed have been cases(as far as I have read here) of people going to "The Dark Side" after some perceived injustice against them(like having their Cache archived) and then going hog wild and messing up the game for other players. She has every right to be a little timid in not sharing the GC#. Wouldn't it just Bite if our action on the matter actually resulted in some revenge against her plants? Then everyone here would understand her reluctance to give the details.

grouphug.gif

Group hug!!!

Awwww....

Come again? Are you saying that the OP not only had to
  • figure out that it was a geocache
  • find out which geocache it was
  • find the website
  • create an account
  • start a forum thread

But in addition, understand what a GC# is and provide us with that information? She already went way above and beyond the "call of duty"!!! :D

+1

I think you were actually living up to your reputation.

:cool:

(and even more curious was that you seemed to steal a little reputation from a dawg with eyeglasses.)

That's one big pat on the back for Recruiting! As a community we have a questionable reputation with the rest of the world. For real - we use high tech equipment to hunt tupperware in the woods - do we not?!? So we call it geocaching and many others call it litter. Geocaching is banned in a number of areas because it is seen as litter, caches have been "detonated" by bomb squads, state park rangers despise us wandering off the trails and destroying the natural fauna or for not taking enough water and needing to be "rescued", etc... Needless to say, our reputation preceeds us in many ways. Conversely, just as many people have never heard of geocaching - and when we explain it to them in a nice, level-headed, this is a really cool game sort of way - we might just introduce them to a new hobby they can enjoy on their own, with family or with friends. This lady already had a negative experience with geocaching and she came to this forum for assistance. In the end, is it better to help someone and hopefully improve their view of geocaching? Or save face in front of fellow forum buddies and slam someone asking for help? What is the real risk?