Not a geocacher, joined to find something out

Hi, I am not a Geocacher, I have registered on the site primarily to find something out.

I tried on the net with no luck.

My husband and I have 2 plots which we pay for in a community garden,1 it is a large raised bed for the disabled which I use.

I planted this out with a selection of very rare squash plants from overseas that I was intending to grow for seed sharing. The plants have been constantly uprooted and the name sticks taken out, many have died and what are there are struggling.

A couple of weeks ago I found a small orange tube in the bed when I was attending to it, I took it home as I thought it was litter, but noticed it had some writing on it, I opened it and figured out it was some sort of treasure hunt. Looked on the net with a website addy from inside it and found this site.

The following week we noticed there was no disturbance on the bed and all was well for a little while.The plants had begun ti pick up.

Then a few days ago we went and there had been digging in the bed again, we looked around and sure enough we found another one, we removed it too.

I came home and registered on the site, by doing this I found the page that informed folks where to find this cache, instructions said ."It is in the community gardens but not on anyones plot," it also said "no digging required." Well it is on someones plot and it seemed that folks have been digging to find it and in doing so have killed several valuable plants and put all the others in peril. As I said they are rare and due to all the disturbance it is touch and go wether any will actually reach maturity. I would have to bag blossoms to keep the seeds pure but am now expecting to find the bags ripped off by folks looking for caches if I did.

I have read about your game and have to say it seems delightful but so far for me it has caused quite a lot of distress and some money loss.

I noticed on the part that talks about the cache and where one can leave messages someone had said it was not there, the owner froze the cache till he could see what had happened, during this period my plants started to grow, he has now posted it is again asopen as he has put a replacement there, I have that.

Frankly I don't know what to do. I don't want to spoil anyones fun but it is on an area that does belong to me and is being damaged, this cannot continue, I feel you all would understand that.

So having joined the site to try and solve this problem can someone please advise me how best to do that.

I don't want to go there and find all my plants trashed because I have had to remove the cache again.For this same reason I have not contacted the owner yet. I felt better to wait the 24 hours till I could get on the forum and find out the best way to handle this.

I would be obliged of any advice ,

Thank you

I now have both of these cache things at home, the original one and the replacement.

First off, I'm sorry about the destruction of your plants. It's a shame, and I'm sure not intended.

Your best bet actually is to contact the cache owner by sending them a message via their profile. Click on their name on the cache page and then find the "send message" link on the left hand side. If the owner of the cache is at all active and responsible, he/she will either move the cache to a location you deem appropriate, or archive the listing.

In the instance that you get no response from the CO (cache owner), the very first log on the cache page should say something along the lines of "published." This will be the local reviewer. You can contact them in the same fashion I mentioned above and they will take care of the problem for you. This should be your last resort, it's best to try to handle this at the lowest level first.

Again, very sorry about the damage caused. We're a good bunch for the most part :anibad:

Hi PiddlePuss, I'm sorry you've had such a tough orientation into our favorite addiction. I'd guess whoever hid the cache had no idea that the plot was privately owned. While it won't restore the plants you lost, there is a solution to keep this from happening again;

Take a look at the cache page. Click "View All Logs". At the bottom, you should see one log that says "Published". This should be the local reviewer for your area. Click on his/her name to access their profile, then click the link worded something like "Send me an Email". Copy/paste the note you just posted, including the unique cache ID number found on the top right. Starts with "GC". The reviewer should be able to resolve the issue.

Thank you for taking the high road. Many folks, finding a wrecked garden, would not be nearly as civil as you've been.

-Sean

Sorry you have encountered a problem. As the other poster have stated contact the co and if no response contact the reviewer. Unfortunately some cache placers don't follow the rules of gaining permission to place their cache. Or don't do their home work on who owns or is responsible for the property where they place they cache. When I run into a situation while caching that I feel is questionable I contact the co and sometimes the reviewer regarding the situation. We don't want to cause any damage to some ones property or to the ecosystem. I am glad you are able to handle this the way you are. I know I would not be so forgiving. It angers me when cachers who place caches don't follow the rules or are too lazy to gain the proper permission before placing a cache.

Edited by gnjeepn

I would think a Needs Archived log would be the best thing.

In it explain the damage done and that it is on private property.This accomplishes two things.

Notifies the Reviewer about the problem.

Advises people who are going for it that they shouldn't while the reviewer gets around to handling it. They are busy and it could take some time.

The hider may have had good intentions when he hid it, and I suppose it may have been hidden before you leased the plot, but even if so, it was wrong for him to assume that it would forever be unoccupied. It was surely originally hidden in a way where digging really was not required (it is in our guidelines to never bury a cache!) but it sounds as though it has been rehidden by finders in a way other than the original.

As others have pointed out, you have several options:

1) Email the cache owner through his geocaching profile page. This may work if he is conscientious and it still an active player.

2) You can contact the reviewer that publishes the cache listings. Click the View All Logs link, and scroll to the very bottom. You will see one log that simply says, "Published". You can click on the reviewer's name to get to his/her profile page and from there, send them an email.

3) In the upper-right of the cache page, there is a link to Log Your Visit. Click that and from the Type of Log dropdown, select the log type called "Needs Archived" (yeah, we talk funny here! :anibad: ). This will send an email to both the cache owner and alert the reviewer to the issue. It will also alert future finder that there is an issue with the cache.

I apologize for those that dug up your squash plants. As one of the forum regulars likes to say, "The best thing about Geocaching is that anyone can do it. The worst thing about Geocaching is that anyone can do it."

Personally if it was my plot of land and stuff was getting destroyed on it I probably wouldn't contact the owner or the reviewer I would just go straight for the needs archived option that others have mentioned and mention you are the plot owner and the damage that is being done. This will automatically go to the reviewer and the owner.

I noticed on the part that talks about the cache and where one can leave messages someone had said it was not there, the owner froze the cache till he could see what had happened, during this period my plants started to grow, he has now posted it is again asopen as he has put a replacement there, I have that.

I echo the sentiments expressed by others regarding the damage to your garden.

I found the paragraph I quoted above the most troublesome. The owner of the cache should not have placed it on your plot without obtaining proper permission, and those that sought the geocache should know better to dig in an attempt to find it. However, that paragraph implies that after you removed the first cache, that the owner came back and replaced it at a time when your garden was beginning to grow. It should have been obvious to someone with even a smidgen of common sense that the garden plot was in use, and placing a cache even close to that spot could cause some damage.

Something that hasn't been mentioned by others is that due to accuracy of GPS receivers (anywhere from 10-20' is typical), even if the container was placed 15-20' from your plot, the search radius might still include your plot. I also wanted to select a couple of other courses of action.

As others suggested you can find a contact link for the local reviewer at the bottom of the logs for the cache listing. You could also post a log on the cache yourself. Select the "log your visit" link near the top of the page, then select "Needs Archive" for the log type, and use the text box to explain that it's your community plot that is being damaged. A copy of the log will be sent to the cache owner, the local reviewer and anyone "watching" (not literally, but a means for others to see other logs being posted on a cache) will see the log as well.

You might even want to place a sign up on the plot "Attention Geocachers: The cache located here has been removed". Sometimes geocachers will download the waypoint for local geocaches and not take the time to look at the listing. As a result, sometime geocachers will be searching for a cache that has not only been removed but the cache listing itself has been archived.

Hi piddlepuss

I think technically you are now a Geocacher. You found a cache, and you did more research on caching than many newbies seem to do. Someone said the damage to your garden was probably "not intended". I think instead they should have said it's inexcusable. I'm very sorry about that, but the sad fact of Geocaching is that we do not all have common sense. In the frenzy of a search some forget to treat the search area with respect.

You have several options.

1. Deal with the Cache Owner personally by clicking on their name on the cache page. That will take you to their PROFILE where you can send them an email. You have the option to disclose your email address or not. This can go well or badly depending on the personality of the cache owner. Just like every other segment of the population we do have our small share of crazies.

2. Log a NEEDS ARCHIVED visit to the cache page and explain what the problem is. This is the public way to make sure it's gone. And it will alert the Reviewer to scrutinize future hides by this cacher a little bit closer for a while.

3. Click to view all logs on the Cache Page. Click on the name of the Reviewer that published the cache. Probably the very first or second log on the page. Explailn the problem to them privately and the cache listing will be gone just as quickly as the public NEEDS ARCHIVED option above.

NYPaddleCacher makes a very good suggestion for the short term of placing a NO GEOCACHE HERE - ARCHIVED sign in your garden.

Can you come back here later and let us know how this all works out for you?

ou might even want to place a sign up on the plot "Attention Geocachers: The cache located here has been removed". Sometimes geocachers will download the waypoint for local geocaches and not take the time to look at the listing. As a result, sometime geocachers will be searching for a cache that has not only been removed but the cache listing itself has been archived.

The sign is a good idea. When someone removes a cache without informing the cache owner it may increase the possibility of damage to the area, because people will be searching longer, looking in more places and after a while start pulling at plants and other objects thinking that they might be camouflage for the cache.

Even if the cache is archived and removed many geocachers might still have the cache on their GPS and search for the cache, so the sign mayl prevent further damage.

Does the cache contain a GC number? If not it might be difficult for the OP to contact the reviewer and/or the CO.

For me, what would work best is a sign at GZ. Once I see the words trespassing-I'm out. If it mentions private property that would be good too. Then the local community can take care of it (hopefully) by not searching for it and sending in their own NA logs.

Edited by JesandTodd

Whats the GC Code?

The GC code or number is a unique identifying number for each cache page. You can find it in the upper right hand corner of the cache page. Sometimes, cache owners will put the GC# in the cache container (on it, or in the logbook, etc.) :anibad:

Hi Ashnikes. I see your back to your old tricks. I guess your public apology wasn't all that heartfelt.

That was my first thought as well. The writing style seems inconsistent with him, though that might not mean all that much.

I'll not comment on it though. Any reviewer would know if a Needs Archive or Note is actually posted on a community garden cache by this account.

In case the original poster is the real deal, let me clarify by saying that there has been a rash of incidents here lately with a certain person creating accounts and posting fictitious incidents just to stir things up.

To stay on topic, destroying or damaging property while geocaching is reprehensible behavior. I've found 2 geocaches in community gardens. Both of them take great pains to ask geocachers to stay out of the plots (and indeed, out of the fenced off garden itself).

Edited by Chrysalides

I am positive the OP is not ashnikes. This person has written with much more eloquence and better spelling.

On topic, to the original poster:

I am very sorry to hear about your garden plot. As a gardener myself, I would be pretty miffed. You have received many good answers already, so I won't repeat what others have said; but I do hope that all gets squared away and worked out.

Geocachers for the most part are quite respectful and are a good bunch of folks.

Best of luck :anibad:

I am positive the OP is not ashnikes. This person has written with much more eloquence and better spelling.

I am positive you are wrong.

If ash errr... the OP really feels there is a problem, then report it. We all know that if this is for real that it will be archived immediately once the property owner reports it.

Hi Ashnikes. I see your back to your old tricks. I guess your public apology wasn't all that heartfelt.

Can't be Ashnikes. Reading the opening post doesn't create the "chewing on aluminum foil" sensation that his posts are famous for. I think this one is legitimate.

First off, who hides those containers without first putting cammo on them?

The OP claims to have opened it and found the website's address. Fine, most stash notes have the geocaching URL.

The OP managed to find the cache listing and the forums but somehow couldn't figure out how to post a Needs Archive note?

Finally, everyone knows that CO's don't get around to doing maintenance until at least the 10th DNF. :anibad:

I am pretty good with Google search. And I can't find a cache with the phrases "community gardens" and "no digging required".

So, I will make this challenge to the OP.

You claimed to have visited the cache listing and read it. You claim to have posted 2 phrases from that listing.

Therefore, if you can give us the GC code for that cache listing (it's located in the top right corner of the listing page), I will not only apologize to you, but I will mail you a money order for $30.

That should help cover the costs of the plants.

Ashnikes is married to a guy and disabled??

ashnikes is a 20+ guy in Florida. Or a 40+ guy. Or a hillbilly. Or from Ithica (sic) New York. Or married to one of the socks. Wouldn't surprise me if he's now an elderly disabled lady married to a guy. Still, I'm undecided. This thread raises several flags, but does not smell particularly like ashnikes. Maybe he's getting better at it.

Anyway, the advice given so far are good, and there's not much that can be added to it.

ashnikes is a 20+ guy in Florida. Or a 40+ guy. Or a hillbilly. Or from Ithica (sic) New York. Or married to one of the socks. Wouldn't surprise me if he's now an elderly disabled lady married to a guy. Still, I'm undecided. This thread raises several flags, but does not smell particularly like ashnikes. Maybe he's getting better at it.

Anyway, the advice given so far are good, and there's not much that can be added to it.

He's getting better. But next time he needs to choose a real geocache instead of making on up.

Google indexes geocaching.com pretty darn well. If you know how to use it correctly, you can find just about anything you want. This cache does not exist. But if it does, I will gladly pay the OP the $30.

He's getting better. But next time he needs to choose a real geocache instead of making on up.

Google indexes geocaching.com pretty darn well. If you know how to use it correctly, you can find just about anything you want. This cache does not exist. But if it does, I will gladly pay the OP the $30.

Hold on, I will go make a listing with those phrases...

And I will expect the $30 in the next couple days.

And I will know it was created recently and not when the OP claims it to have been. :anibad:

Can't be Ashnikes. Reading the opening post doesn't create the "chewing on aluminum foil" sensation that his posts are famous for. I think this one is legitimate.

For me it just does not pass the smell test.

And I will know it was created recently and not when the OP claims it to have been. :anibad:

I will adjust the date placed.

:cry:

The opening post lacks the expected space after commas and full stops in several places. That particular grammar quirk is not present in ashnikes' contributions, so I don't think he's the OP. It must be GeoBain playing a high stakes game of call-my-bluff with himself :anibad:

( Obligatory on-topic comment: I agree that Needs Archived is the correct response, but I'd probably follow it up with a gentle email to the CO. )

My back hurts.

Next time you go out, try putting on some sunscreen.

Thanks for that helpful suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think that sunscreen would be particularly helpful for MY specific type of back pain. Please do let me know if your are or any of you're friends and associates discover that the science on that changes. Kay?

Your the best, thank you.

Edited by Team Cotati

To remain On-Topic: The OP should post a Needs Archived log.

It must be GeoBain playing a high stakes game of call-my-bluff with himself

I can assure you I am not the OP. But should I be proved wrong, I am more than willing to help offset the cost of the damage purported by the OP.

I was slightly suspicious when I read this:

A couple of weeks ago I found a small orange tube in the bed when I was attending to it, I took it home as I thought it was litter, but noticed it had some writing on it, I opened it and figured out it was some sort of treasure hunt. Looked on the net with a website addy from inside it and found this site.

The following week we noticed there was no disturbance on the bed and all was well for a little while.The plants had begun ti pick up.

If he removed the cache but didn't notify the cache owner, people would likely still have been searching for it, so I doubt the area would have recovered that quickly. In fact there may have been more damage because people would likely be searching a lot longer and over a wider area.

The statement made me pause, but I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I was slightly suspicious when I read this:

If he removed the cache but didn't notify the cache owner, people would likely still have been searching for it, so I doubt the area would have recovered that quickly. In fact there may have been more damage because people would likely be searching a lot longer and over a wider area.

The statement made me pause, but I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Yup, I had the same reaction.

Somehow the presence of a cache was killing plants, not the searching? Make you say "HUH??".

I am really worried now, I have read part of the posts and fast forwarded to the end. I am not sure what to say now..I seem to be mistaken for someone who presumaby has caused trouble for you all.You have made me a wee bit nervous frankly.

I seem to need to defend myself and am a little upset having to do so. I truly am telling you exactly what happened.I am not someone else.

This seemed the best option for dealing with a situation I am unfamiliar with.

I have read many children are involved with this pastime so wanted to very sure I didn't hurt anyones feelings.

I live in British Columbia, Canada, in Coquitlam as a matter of fact,I am female ,am 68 years old, an ex primary school counsellor.

My name is Jeannine.

I am very well know on A4A which is a UK gardening site called Allotments for All .I returned from the UK just 18 months ago after working over there for 9 years.That is also my name on that site.

I have nothing to hide and in fact I have put a post on there asking if anyone knows about Geocaching so that I can address this problem to the best of my ability.

I have probably given far too much personal stuff on a forum I don't know but by all means check me outl

For now, I am a bit confused , I did not expect to find disharmony and am a little taken aback to think I may be considered a forum troll or worse.We have those on A4A and I know how what folks views on those are are.

I will hold off for now doing anything as you have scared me a little and don't want to get myself involved in something that could be uncomfortable.

I will read all the other posts now but am a little hesitant.

Perhaps one of you will be kind enough to bring A4A up and take alook, you only need to register to post..reading is fine as a guest.

Thank you for any of you who feel I am worthy of advice, it is what I am here for.

I will sign off with my usual signature

XX Jeannine

ou might even want to place a sign up on the plot "Attention Geocachers: The cache located here has been removed". Sometimes geocachers will download the waypoint for local geocaches and not take the time to look at the listing. As a result, sometime geocachers will be searching for a cache that has not only been removed but the cache listing itself has been archived.

The sign is a good idea. When someone removes a cache without informing the cache owner it may increase the possibility of damage to the area, because people will be searching longer, looking in more places and after a while start pulling at plants and other objects thinking that they might be camouflage for the cache.

Even if the cache is archived and removed many geocachers might still have the cache on their GPS and search for the cache, so the sign mayl prevent further damage.

All of the above answers and this one too. I also thought a small sign would be a good idea, for the cases where the searchers are not aware of any of the online communication. It fould be something decorative and fun too. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble getting things to grow without interuption. That must be very frustrating. Maybe hang the little container on a stick in plain view.

The OP managed to find the cache listing and the forums but somehow couldn't figure out how to post a Needs Archive note?

If you'll read the OP again, you'll see that there is a little apprehension about contacting/confronting the CO. Without having experience and knowledge of the Caching community, there seems to be a little fear of reprisal if the Cache gets archived. We all would know not to be afraid of that, but an outsider may not know. The OP probably was just hesitating to take action without advice. I can certainly understand that when having a problem with an unfamiliar community.

I have now read all the posts and at the risk of being laughed at more, you may like to know that you now have a 68 year old disabled lady in tears.

I am going over to my garden site so that I can read some nice posts.

The name of the cache is something like You have made your bed now lie in it, it is in Colony Farm Community gardens IN BC Canada.You can all look it up.

I don't know what to do now, but presumably someone may.

If someone does contact the owner, please don't be unkind, it may be a child. I am very happy to return his things if he will move his site.

I wish you well with yor hobby, as I saud it seems delightful, but I am dreadfully upset at your forum.

I will look again as I would like to think you folks who think I am something bad may have changed your mind.

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine