My opinion on FTF logging.

I've heard of cachers who will wait to log their FTF on a cache as a way to tease other cachers who believe they are seeking the FTF only to find a dirty log. I try to log a FTF as fast as possible to avoid this. I know I hate it when I've gotten out of bed, driven 20 miles for a FTF, only to find a sig several hours earlier, but no log.

Sure, maybe some people haven't gotten back home to log it, but if you have the means, IMO, an early log is a nice courtesy. Your thoughts?

I've heard of cachers who will wait to log their FTF on a cache as a way to tease other cachers who believe they are seeking the FTF only to find a dirty log. I try to log a FTF as fast as possible to avoid this. I know I hate it when I've gotten out of bed, driven 20 miles for a FTF, only to find a sig several hours earlier, but no log.

Sure, maybe some people haven't gotten back home to log it, but if you have the means, IMO, an early log is a nice courtesy. Your thoughts?

When I go for what should be an FTF, after all it was published yesterday and no online log, and find a signature in the log I simply rip that page out of the log and go home and log the FTF. Let that other fool try to claim a FTF when his signature is not in the log. That will teach them.

When I go for what should be an FTF, after all it was published yesterday and no online log, and find a signature in the log I simply rip that page out of the log and go home and log the FTF. Let that other fool try to claim a FTF when his signature is not in the log. That will teach them.

Really?

:anibad::cry::anibad::):laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don't go for that many FTF's if they're not convenient, but it is fun to go for them at times. I agree with you, that it is only courteous to log asap, but as someone who went to find one before work (but didn't find it), I wouldn't have had a chance to log it until after work...I would never do that on purpose though, nor would I rip out a log page. FTF is FTF, and I try and give the benefit of the doubt. However, I only have 3 so I'm no authority.

:anibad:

If a guy did that just to 'mess' with the other FTF hopefulls, I think that tells you something about that person. Next event you meet the guy at, you can give the ol' eyeroll.

If it happens to you, don't swet it, it is just the way it goes.

Further to my comment, how do you know the person was perposly not logging online. As others have posted, there are many reasons people may not log for a long time. One of my FTF was early in the morning (500h) on the way to work. I didn't geta chance to log it until aroune (1100h).

Pretty "BAD FORM" Jholly in my opinion you should be glad your not in our area, well closer then you are anyway we would hunt you down. In fact that very thing did actually happen to me now it makes me wonder if it was U.

Just a few days ago there were 21 caches that came out up in the hills on a Logging road that was a 6 mile round trip I checked the next morning and there were no finds loaded my mountain Bike headed there at 3 am only to find that someone found them they day they were published, but had not fogged them, hey that's the game. (On a side not the FTFer called me and apologized for not logging them sooner as he was dog tired when he got home and it was very late, so he just figured he would log them in the morning it happens)

When you go after FTFs anything can happen sounds like Jholly should not go after FTFs if he is going to resort to those kinda tactics.

Scubasonic

Pretty "BAD FORM" Jholly in my opinion you should be glad your not in our area, well closer then you are anyway we would hunt you down. In fact that very thing did actually happen to me now it makes me wonder if it was U.

Just a few days ago there were 21 caches that came out up in the hills on a Logging road that was a 6 mile round trip I checked the next morning and there were no finds loaded my mountain Bike headed there at 3 am only to find that someone found them they day they were published, but had not fogged them, hey that's the game. (On a side not the FTFer called me and apologized for not logging them sooner as he was dog tired when he got home and it was very late, so he just figured he would log them in the morning it happens)

When you go after FTFs anything can happen sounds like Jholly should not go after FTFs if he is going to resort to those kinda tactics.

Scubasonic

I just keep catching them. I gave up the chase over a year ago. I have a bad case of smiley deficit disorder.

Here's a few you can use

:laughing::laughing::laughing:;):P:):anibad::cry::anibad::):laughing:

Edited by jholly

I was 4th to find the other day and decided to wait until at least the FTF was logged so it wasn't all out of order on the caches log page. Later that night the cache was pulled off the site never to be found again :anibad: I can't help but wonder if I logged it, it would have at least been an archived cache rather than just pulled completely. Needless to say next time I will not wait to log it no matter what. Either way it was cool to meet the other FTF hawks of the area.

Edited by SlickNickster

Why on earth would you do something so silly?

Why on earth would you do something so silly?

see post #18.

Calm down everyone, he was JOKING!

If I do get an FTF I try to log it as soon as possible, and I think it's fun occasionally; but I could really take or leave the FTF game. It's not a big deal to me. When I do get them it's fun; but I don't drive very far out of the way.

In all reality, an FTF doesn't mean that much. That find is no more special than the 200th find, or the second find.

But, I do know that some folks get a kick out of it; so I do try to acknowledge the first finder of my caches on my cache pages, and I do like to hear FTF stories and such like that. If it makes someone have more fun, then why not?

Now I'll know do delete your entries if I see you as a FTF on a cache, wouldn't want a liar on my cache(s)... Thanks for the heads up.

Now I'll know do delete your entries if I see you as a FTF on a cache, wouldn't want a liar on my cache(s)... Thanks for the heads up.

see posts #18 and #23.

see posts #18 and #23.

Do I need to find links to threads discussing stolen caches and destroyed logs to point out why this wasn't even mildly humorous?

see posts #18 and #23.

Do I need to find links to threads discussing stolen caches and destroyed logs to point out why this wasn't even mildly humorous?

Well if you followed the discussion from top to bottom you would have found those posts before you spouted off. Then we would not be having this discussion. But I can understand it is a bit of a problem unbunching the knickers. :D

Well if you followed the discussion from top to bottom you would have found those posts before you spouted off. Then we would not be having this discussion. But I can understand it is a bit of a problem unbunching the knickers. :D

I went back and read it from beginning to end... its still not funny, not even mildly.

Maybe I just thought you were another one of those people that have no problem admitting to destroying other people caches. People like this group of morons: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100531/...&news01ad=1

Either way... what you wrote is not funny, no matter how many times you say it was.

I went back and read it from beginning to end... its still not funny, not even mildly.

Maybe I just thought you were another one of those people that have no problem admitting to destroying other people caches. People like this group of morons: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100531/...&news01ad=1

Either way... what you wrote is not funny, no matter how many times you say it was.

I never said it was funny, you did.

I have disdain for the whole FTF concept. I have no idea (well, maybe one or two minor ideas) why FTF is any better than the twenty-second to find. Big effin' deal.

I totally don't get the FTF. I could care less when I find it, just as long as I am having fun doing it.

I just keep catching them. I gave up the chase over a year ago. I have a bad case of smiley deficit disorder.

Here's a few you can use

:):):):):):):DB):D:cool::lol:

Never huh? I'm done with you.

Those smileys did not come from the happy-sunshine place of jholly's soul, trust me.

Dude... seriously. People on this forum make sarcastic facetious jokes ALL the time. No need to get upset.

Well if you followed the discussion from top to bottom you would have found those posts before you spouted off. Then we would not be having this discussion. But I can understand it is a bit of a problem unbunching the knickers. :)

Edited by Scubasonic

....If it (an FTF) makes someone have more fun, then why not?

Especially when it's a puzzle cache. I recently got an FTF on a tough puzzle/terrain cache that hadn't been found in the year and a half since it was published. Since I've been working on it for over six months, on and off, you better believe I was tickled silly to finally get it!

An FTF on a traditional that's not hard doesn't have nearly the same thrill.

Since I gave up the hard core FTF race many years ago, excuse me if I don't understand from where your angst is coming from.

In your hypothetical cache example, a number of things likely happened:

• You received a notification of a new cache. This revved up your fun engine, since you enjoy the FTF race.
  • You apparently checked to see if anyone had yet logged a find on the new cache. Of course, no one had, because the notification had only just gone out. You were still obviously having fun at this step.
  • You hopped in the car and drove to the cache location. Again, still having fun.
  • You searched for, and found, the cache. You are apparently still having fun.
  • You opened the log and discovered that someone had already logged a find.

Did the mere fact that someone had already found the cache spoil all your fun for that cache, or are you just disappointed that you aren't the fastest cacher in the west?

I thought it was funny as heck! Dang near a "LOL" moment. Maybe I just have a quirky sense of humor?

Back on topic:

I really don't get the whole FTF fad, but I have several friends who are pretty rabid about them. I figure if they are having fun, and their actions don't hinder my fun, why not? On most of the rare occassions when I've stumbled across a FTF, I log it when I get to it. If that's right away, kewl. If not, that's kewl too. I won't interupt my day just to rush home and hop on a computer, simply to keep the knickers of the FTF crowd unwadded.

There's even one cache I stumbled on as FTF a couple years ago that I never logged at all.

I couldn't find anything good to say about it, so I said nothing.

The other folks who logged it later didn't seem too upset that my moniker was above their's.

(on a side note, there are about 3 dozen caches I've found that I've never logged)