stolen logs

It's the rising tide of lawlessness that threatens to engulf us all. They'll be stealing the unusually large pile of sticks next.

Have you been to a campground where a sign plainly states "NO FIREWOOD GATHERING"

There seem to be a large number of people who believe that applies to someone else. :laughing:

Strange thing has happened to a couple caches in my area. the logs were stolen out of them and any other contents as well. One was my cache the other had one of my trackables in it.
I just received a Disabled Cache listing in my email for GC1T0WW, "Fore" by TonkaMN. Reason: Log missing. That's in your area, isn't it?

Dealing with Timber Theft

Thanks to high timber prices, timber theft is an attractive crime. It is not only highly profitable for thieves, but it is also difficult to catch and convict them. Because efforts to stop thieves have been so unsuccessful, there has been very little publicity about the crime itself. As a result, many private landowners do not realize that timber theft is a severe problem which could affect their landholdings.

:laughing:

It's the rising tide of lawlessness that threatens to engulf us all. They'll be stealing the unusually large pile of sticks next.

Have you been to a campground where a sign plainly states "NO FIREWOOD GATHERING"

There seem to be a large number of people who believe that applies to someone else. :anibad:

Yeah! Come on people! If you pick up all the dead wood on the ground what is gonna get the wildfires started?

Thanks to high timber prices, timber theft is an attractive crime. It is not only highly profitable for thieves, but it is also difficult to catch and convict them. Because efforts to stop thieves have been so unsuccessful, there has been very little publicity about the crime itself. As a result, many private landowners do not realize that timber theft is a severe problem which could affect their landholdings.

:cry:

How hard could it be to catch a guy running down the road with a tree in his arms? :anibad:

Even more puzzling--here's what was done to one of mine:

Camo ripped off the Lock&lock; lid off the box; contents strewn around; all the signed pages ripped out of the logbook and taken; logbook with all the remaining blank pages left at site; pens & pencils gone; pencil sharpener and a few trinkets left. :anibad:

The good news is that there were no trackables in the cache at the time.

:cry:

How hard could it be to catch a guy running down the road with a tree in his arms? :anibad:

There's always a few caught every Christmas season. Or did you mean full-size tree, rather than fun-size?

About 20 years ago a friend was driving up to look in on a large wooded lot he owns in northern Michigan, LP, where he intended to build a cabin some day.

He found the gate chain cut and the gate wise open with signs of vehicles. Wondering what was going on, he fetched a couple guns from his car and walked in to find a crew cutting and loading trees onto a truck. He proceeded to ventilate the radiators and tires of a couple vehicles before the crew were convinced they should walk out like he had asked them to. He followed them down the road until they came to a place he could call the local sheriff to have them apprehended. The last I heard the vehicles were still on his land.

Don't mess with a man's trees.

Strange thing has happened to a couple caches in my area. the logs were stolen out of them and any other contents as well. One was my cache the other had one of my trackables in it.
I just received a Disabled Cache listing in my email for GC1T0WW, "Fore" by TonkaMN. Reason: Log missing. That's in your area, isn't it?

The miracle of uncanny timing.

Gotta love it.

Gotta love it.

Funny, That cache was on my to do list last time i was out there. never got to it.

Gotta love it.

Funny, That cache was on my to do list last time i was out there. never got to it.

So, does that make it the third one to have the log stolen?

Gotta love it.

So, does that make it the third one to have the log stolen?

I wouldn't know. As luck would have it, my Canny Timer just went down. Is yours still working?