I wanna do an earthcache

lachupa

I have an idea for an earthcache here:

yosemite054.jpg

But I need my hand held. Its a small obscure place inside the Inyo National Forest. I've hunted down the contact information for the forest supervisor and the ranger station, but I'm not real clear on what to say.

Hi you don't know me but I'm planning to put a write up on this website place that will lure people to your park. I've told them not to mess with anything but I need your permission to let them take some GPSr readings and answer some questions about the place. No I'm not a geologist, I'm a mathematician why do you ask?

any suggestions here?

Edited by lachupa

Generally, I start out by introducing myself and the concept of earthcaching. Unless there is reason to think otherwise, I assume that the person knows little or nothing about earthcaches. I emphasize that earthcaches were developed by the GSA in partnership with various agencies and require the approval of land managers. I point them to the earthcache site. I also state that although earthcaches are listed on geocaching.com, they do not involve leaving any physical container. Instead they are designed to provide an educational experience that teaches people about earth science.

I provide the coordinates and attach a write up of my suggested earthcache. Some parks have asked that I put common sense information into the description -- take out what you bring to the site, bring plenty of water, stay on trails, and the like. If a park has a web site, I will look at any guidelines and information they may have for general visitors and take that into account. Of course, I also re-read the earthcaching guidelines to make sure that my proposal will work from that perspective.

In addition to asking for permission, I ask if there is any additional information that they would like to see included in the description, about either the earthcache location or the park. And I thank them for their assistance. Common sense stuff.

If there is any other earthcache in the agency's land, I would contact the person who developed that and ask who they contacted and if the agency had any particular concerns. I believe that TerryDad2 has samples of letters that he has written to park officials.

Thus far, nobody has turned me down, but it once took me five months to get earthcaches approved in a national park that was "virgin territory" for this. Some parks have been very interested in the content of the page and submitted it to their own geologists for review. Another asked for a map of where the earthcache was located (even though they had the coordinates) in order to make sure that people were not going to be bushwhacking off trail. One park wanted to know the relationship of earthcaches to existing virtuals in the area. You never know what you might be asked. A couple of parks even approved earthcaches without comment.

Edited by mulvaney

I believe that TerryDad2 has samples of letters that he has written to park officials.

TerryDad2's Profile

Yep, mulvaney advice is excellent as usual. I believe Terry used to have a couple of form letter examples on his Profile. He might have other, more specific examples, that would fit your situation better if you contact him through his Profile. He's always been very helpful and responsive.....when he's night fighting oil spills in the Gulf :laughing:

Since I know EXACTLY where you're talking about for the placement, I would also venture the following suggestions.

1. Although the trees are both significant and interesting, they, by themselves, would not be a good fit for an Earthcache placement, as they are related more to Life Sciences, rather than Earth Science. That being said, there is a TON of subject matter in those mountains that could easily be fashioned into an Earthcache (i.e. geology or other related Earth Sciences).

2. I haven't been up that way in several years, but it would be worth seeing if there are any nearby Earthcaches that might duplicate your subject matter. I honestly can't remember if there are any or not, but just a word of caution.

Totally awesome spot. Good luck!

mulvaney has some good advice. When I actually talk to someone, I usually have to explain it twice to them and then get passed off to someone else to explain it twice again. Be sure to mention the educational aspect, nothing is left at the site, and that there is an existing partnership with GSA.

If you do get anywhere with Inyo, please let me know. I have 20 or so proposed locations with them that have been sitting on someone's desk for the past 2 years. They keep saying they are just about to get to them. Don't let that discourage you since I am dealing with a PR person. It shouldn't stop you from publishing any either as I'm good with other people publishing sites before me.

I wondered if the Inyo was an issue because I didn't see any others out there. hmm

thanks for the advice

I hadn't thought about it being life science vs earth science. I just find the place amazing and the few times I've convinced someone to make the trek they've returned as excited about it as I was. One of my friends said his wife was about to have my head for talking them into going all the way out there until they hit this area. Then both of his kids used it for science fair projects.