The Brass Cap Convention Event Cache

wavector

The Brass Cap Convention - Medicine Hat, Alberta

I hope everyone in ALberta has time to come and visit Medicine Hat on August 20, 21 and 22.

We are planning a weekend of fun and all of the local geocachers are pitching in with a variety of events, caches and activities surrounding the Brass Cap Convention, collectively these events and activities are going to be callled SAW I, that stands for Southern Alberta Weekend I. :P

If you look in the Alberta cache listings you will see a CARMH (Cache And Relax Medicine Hat Event) that will take place on the same day as the Brass Cap Convention. The CARMH wrap up occurs a couple of hours after the Brass Cap Convention so evnts will not collide, you might have trouble doing everything though! We are planning other events that will span the entire weekend and offer a variety of geocaching related fun for everyone.

If you are a survey buff and a Brass Capper then this is a day to celebrate.

The Brass Cap is nearing 10,000 finds!

The Alberta Land Surveyors celebrate 100 Years!

The Esplanade Arts and Heritage Center in Medicine Hat is hosting an exhibit on the History of Surevy in Alberta.

The Medicine Hat geocachers are setting up a weekend to celebrate GC43F3, The Brass Cap Cache.

We have a website set up;

The Brass Cap Convention

We have a new geocoin celebrating the Brass Cap, the Brass Cap Geocoin

BrassCapCoinPreview.jpg

The website has a pre-registration page that will allow you to pre-register and receive a Event Attendee Geocoin and an event t-shirt. The t-shirt will have a sleeve logo from the designer but otherwise will not include any sponsor logos or artwork, just the designs we selected for the front and the back. The artwork for the geocoin doesn't show the great features like the custom icon designed by Calgary Area Cacher and artist peanutbutterbreadandjam, the domed 3D side of the geocoin, the AB prefix in the tracking code and the beautiful earthtone palette.

All the money earned from the sale of the geocoin, both the pre-registration and the retail versions, go directly to funding these events, no profit is ever taken. Any funds earned go directly back into the community in the form of geocoin giveaways and prizes. Your support makes these types of events possible and I can tell you it is appreciated very much.

I can accomodate any special orders by sending a personlized PayPal invoice so if you want extra shirts or extra geocoins feel free to contact me directly using my profile on geocaching.com.

If you live elsewhere in Canada and you want to help support our event and get a beautiful geocoin then there is a link to buy the Antique silver version of the geocin on the event website that includes shipping.

I will be posting a link to the new geocoin and setting up a PayPal buttton for International and US orders soon, watch for the updated Brass Cap Geocoin thread over in the geocoin forum soon.

Medicine Hat, Alberta is great place to visit. We have the Gas City Campground conveniently located near the highway, lots of inexpensive accomodations like Pals, Sun-Dek the Satellite and we have new places like the Holiday Inn Express, Motel 6, Comfort Inn and Best Western. Come for one day, come for three days, there will be a lot of geocaching related activities hosted by local geocachers who are looking forward to your visit.

There will several complete sets of Brass Cap Geocoins given away as prizes. There will be several Alberta Wild Rose Geocoins given away as prizes. The first chance to see the Brass Cap Geocoin will be Friday night at the Welcome Event so plan on being there.

Please check out our The Brass Cap Convention website and join us for a really fun time and a great weekend.

The event schedule we have listed on the website will be updated so watch for changes as we go along!

Thanks and I hope we will see you all here.

wavector (David)

Medicine Hat, Alberta

A Convention Update

There will four (4) outforthehunt walking sticks available to attendees at the Brass Cap Convention as prizes. If you are an Alberta geocacher then this is a must do event because the opportunity to win an ofth walking stick doesn't come along very often. If you are a Saskatchewan or BC geocacher then you might want to consider a trip to Medicine Hat, AB for the SAW I weekend.

There will be a total of five different events that make up SAW I.

Friday night "flash mob" event - Tiny Bubbles - designed hosted by navypeople

Friday night get together - SAW I - Welcome to Medicine Hat - designed and hosted by Jobok&Deedster

Saturday all day long - The Brass Cap Convention - desgined and hosted by wavector

Saturday night- Medicine Hat CARMH Event - designed and hosted by King.Tut

Sunday - 10000, 100, 10, 1 CITO Event - designed and hosted by Medicine Hat Interpretive Program

The Medicine Hat CARMH Event starts on Friday and runs all night and all day Saturday,you will have lots to do

If you want to own an outforthehunt walking stick, attend!!!!

Here is the link for the Event Pre-registration page, you must pre-register to obtain a t-shirt and special Attendee Geocoin. Pre-registration is $22.00CDN

See you there

wavector

I will post some pics of the t-shirt design later, I think it is very nice (I designed it!) :o

Brass Cap Convention Update

van der Decken has agreed to be the walkabout leader on our discovery tour!

There will be several new Brass Caps that we will see on that walkabout.

I hope the weather doesn't interfere

Attendees to the Brass Cap Convention will be able to view the displays at the Esplanade Arts and Heritage Museum. I will provide further details later but you will be able to see these intriguing and beautiful displays sponsored by the Alberta Land Surveyor's Association to celebrate their hundredth anniversary for no charge as a participant in this event.

ATTN: The last day to pre-register will be Tuesday, August 17th by 6:00AM (That is 6:00 on Tuesday morning.) The tee-shirts will be olive green and the text will be yellow/gold. Please remember to fill in your shirt size and geocaching name.

The Medicine Hat CARMH Event hosted by King.Tut will be the source of many new caches. The theme is Cache and Relax this year. The Brass Cap Convention has sponsored the first thirty CARMH caches with coupons for $2 Tim cards(one per team or cacher please) they are a coupon that can be redeemed during the entire SAW I Event with any event host - so being FTF (Fun to Find ) on any CAR cache will get you a cuppa at Timmie's. The people who find the most CAR caches will get the most votes when it comes time to award prizes.

I want to offer a special thank you to the City of Medicine Hat. They have donated a slew of collapsible zip together shopping bags in lime green and black. These high strength bags are marked with the Eco-smart logo and our own attractive city logo. I will include these with registrations as long as they last. They also donated some cool flashlights and some mugs for the prize table , a special thank you to Jobok &Deedster for getting the inside scoop on these cool additions.

I do hope to obtain permission to list this event earlier next year and I am sorry if I didn't give you enough notice to arrange to attend, I know we are a long way away from the major centers but the launch of this event and the planning of an event like this requires a lot of help and it has to be local. I want to thank everyone who is helping out. :)

I have placed a thread in the Geocoin Forum for the new Brass Cap Geocoin.

I have added PayPal links for customers in the continental US to the Event geocoin webpage.

Your purchase of a Brass Cap Geocoin will directly support The Brass Cap Convention event in our community and future events in our province.

Thank You

Edited by wavector

Here are the event tee shirt pictures.

I think the tee shirt really turned out well.

It is being made locally.

You must pre-register to obtain a tee-shirt, there will only be a handful at the event. (if that)

Here are the pics.

SAWITees.jpg

SAWITeesBack.jpg

SAWITeesCrestDetail.jpg

SAWITeesBackDetail.jpg

This is a pre-shrunk cotton shirt (Gildan) and the colours are pretty close to the original.

The shirt colour is called Prairie Dust, not prairie olive and the ink colour is "brass".

If you wish to buy shirts separately then please contact me using my geocaching.com profile and I can customize a Paypal invoice for you. Thanks.

The pre-registration period for this event has been extended until tomorrow at 6:00AM.

You do not need to pre-register, you are welcome to attend and find out about brass caps. Cachers like Sleepy_hollow and van der Decken will be there so you can ask any techncial questions you may have.

You will have an opportunity to log three new Brass Caps!

The links to pre-register are in the opening posts of this thread.

If you have a special requests please let me know directly, I can tailor a PayPal invoice for your specifc need.

Thanks to everyone who has pre-registered.

All the event hosts at SAW 1 are looking forward to meeting you.

It is gonna be fun.

Now I have to go back to work to get ready, much to do. :D

Pre-registration for the Brass Cap Convention is now closed.

This means you will not be able to get a t-shirt unless you are willing to take a chance on getting one at the event, there will be a few and there will be a couple on the prize table. You will be able to get the Brass Cap Geocoin in the Retail or the Attendee Version.

Thanks and we are looking forward to seeing everyone on the weekend.

Edited by wavector

Hello Geocachers and readers of the Geocaching Canada forum.

It is time to start planning for the Brass Cap Convention 2011. (Well for me it is !)

The plan is to move the Brass Cap Convention to another location in Alberta every year.

If you would like to have the Brass Cap Convention be in your hamlet village town city then please contact me using my Geocaching profile.

The website is up at http://www.brasscapconvention.com (it never went down actually).

The original retail version of the Brass Cap Geocoin can still be purchased on the website.

The Attendee version for 2010 will be available at the 2011 convention.

I really hope that someone would like to have the Convention in their town this year so please write me if your interested.

I can also be contacted using wavector at telusplanet dot net (replace the at and the dot)

Thanks Everyone

wavector

Medicine Hat, AB

If you haven't yet decided what to do the weekend after this one then the Brass Cap Convention II in Southern Alberta would be a great way to celebrate International Geocaching Day. Don (Sleepy_hollow) is hosting his first event cache at the top of Mount Burke. I hope we uncover BCP238! When we come down from Mount Burke we are going to hide a time capsule that will remain hidden for awhile, until August 20, 2019 or Brass Cap 1000, whichever comes first!

Brian (outforthehunt) is going to be donating his original gammon and reel from his early survey career to the capsule, I will be honoured to be able to hand it back on the day.

I am going to add some good geocaching prizes to the capsule, I am adding the original CAC geocoin numbered 567. I am adding a Version 1 Lemon Fresh Dog Geobone, an antique silver CAC geocoin stamped with a distinctive set of 3 j's, a new unactivated Geocoinfest geocoin from the first Geocoinfest in Temecula, and many more. Attendees will be given a card that they will be able to redeem when the time capsule is opened to choose one of the items intended as gifts. So if you imagine that you will still be geocaching in 7 or 8 years pre-registering and showing up in the future could be rewarding!

I am going to keep Card #1 for myself so I can reclaim one item from the time capsule if I have future regrets about placing any of my geocaching treasures. The time capsule consists of a carefully selected .50 call ammo can hidden inside another carefully selected .60 cal ammo can. They were wiped down with methyl hydrate to remove all traces of oil and painted inside and out.

I have posted an update on the http://www.brasscapconvention.com wesbite about the days happenings. This promises to be a memorable hike and I really hope that you will attend and celebrate geocaching in one of the world's most beautiful places. This hike is rated easy to moderate and it will be fun. The shirt and geocoin make a great commemorative for International Geocaching Day and the event planned by Sleepy_hollow IGD at Cameron LO will be a highlight in the most real sense of the word, I think Don's event may be the highest altitude August 20th IGD celebration in the entire world. You are guaranteed to come home with some great memories, some awesome views and maybe a sore butte.

The Time Capsule is chance to talk to the future about geocaching. I would like to hear from you even if you can't or won't attend. Will geocaching be similar to the activity we practice today? Remember that Moun10Bike made the first geocoin to celebrate finding 100 caches, people don't do that anymore. I will gladly accept any submissions made by anyone and would really like to see some predictions, letters addressed to people who might be there at the future opening, statements about geocaching, things we can read and reflect on in another 7 or 8 years.

There will be some neat prizes on the day as well, not just prizes for the future.

We are going to be placing a new Brass Cap. I would like to see a lot of Brass Cappers add their GPS readings for this cap. Brian has reserved a cap number so we are sure to find at least one new cap.

If you think this hike will be too much for you then just come out and join us at the Day Use Area after we come down from the mountain. There will be a couple of new caches to find that will be relatively easy hikes. You are free to join in just for hot dogs and the time capsule, whatever suits your fancy, you are wanted and welcome.

PRE-REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE TUESDAY AUGUST 16 AT 9:00AM IN THE MORNING. YOU CAN PRE-REGISTER AT http://www.brasscapconvention.com/BCC_II_Pre-registration.php

Pre-registration for the Brass Cap Convention II is now closed.

I want to thank everyone who pre-registered for this years event, thank you. I will see you all Saturday.

I hope you will consider making a contribution of a note or a small article to the Brass Cap Time Capsule, eight years isn't that long. I joined the geocaching.com website in 2003 and got my first GPS in 2005. I was the 94,487 person to join, I checked and a person who just joined would be around the five millionth member today.

Where will we be in another eight years?

I don't know but I really hope we are able to get together and drink another toast to geocaching when we hit Brass Cap 1000.

I want to add a special thank you to outforthehunt. You have created such an excellent adventure, it offers a variety of experiences, it is a microcosm of the geocaching magic. A toast to your imagination and your effort in creating and maintaining this cache, thank you.

I want to add another special thank you to Sleepy_hollow, this year's hike leader. Through the years you have helped shape the traditions of the hunt, it has become about fellowship on the trail, it is about inclusiveness, it is about encouraging others and sharing the thing most valued in our modern world, time, thank you.

Thanks Everyone

wavector

Medicine Hat, Alberta

August 2011