energy snacks and after caching stuff

Our favourites whilst actually caching vary. At the moment I'm into pickled beetroot sandwiches but next week it might be peanut butter and jam, then the week after that possibly cheese and chutney. Tea in a flask always.

After a hard day's caching our favourite food is a chinese takeaway picked up on the way home so I don't have to cook and can get straight on with logging. :anibad:

... we carry .... nature valleys oat bars.

I too carry Nature Valley bars and usually a banana or two.... to drink, a nice flask of boiling water and a bag of teabags, along with my little flask of milk, so I can make brews a-plenty! :D

Sorry Wizie - I no longer make Bacon Butties!!! :)

Something to which I give a considerable amount of thought - having type 1 diabetes gives me the perfect opportunity to injest high carbohydrate snacks when hiking / cycling / adventure racing etc, although I try to reduce insulin as well to avoid needing too much. I tend to favour foods that can tolerate being kept in rucksack or trouser or jacket pocket for days / weeks / months. Eg cheap jelly babies or midget gems repacked in ziplock bags, Scottish tablet bars, muesli bars, homemade flapjack, squeezy pouches of fruit pulp / dairy / jelly etc. Chocolate, especially any with caramel fillings are best eaten at home, straight from fridge, not melted or tooth-breakingly hard out in the field. Sports gel pouches are far too sweet and big for me, although I do carry them if given free at a race. Also, really enjoy pub food, sandwiches, sausage rolls, peanuts, bananas, apples etc.

Edited by Copepod

I tend to take bananas and a few cereal or breakfast bars when I'm out on my own. Little QC eats bananas in his buggy and Big QC (age 6) wont eat anything during a 5 mile walk. We take squash or water with us. If we have the kids with us on a long (5+ miles) then we'll pack a picnic and have that.

Depends how hard the caching run has been. If it's been a gentle stroll then usually a pint and a pack of crisps in the pub. One pint max, simply because if it's been that sort of stroll the chances are I have to drive home afterwards. If someone else is driving then the one pint limit may not apply :)

If I've been caching by bike then anything from a Snickers bar and can of fizzy to a Snickers bar, couple of bananas, bottle of Lucozade or whatever else seems appropriate. Sometimes I grind salt into black cherry Kool-Aid, to replenish both sugar and salt. I need to find some potassium bicarb so I can chuck that in too... then I could take packets of it with me and replenish my water bottle on the move.

Depends how hard the caching run has been. If it's been a gentle stroll then usually a pint and a pack of crisps in the pub. One pint max, simply because if it's been that sort of stroll the chances are I have to drive home afterwards. If someone else is driving then the one pint limit may not apply :)

If I've been caching by bike then anything from a Snickers bar and can of fizzy to a Snickers bar, couple of bananas, bottle of Lucozade or whatever else seems appropriate. Sometimes I grind salt into black cherry Kool-Aid, to replenish both sugar and salt. I need to find some potassium bicarb so I can chuck that in too... then I could take packets of it with me and replenish my water bottle on the move.

Blimey... That all sounds a bit.. err... chemical. I usually settle for a pint of liquid vegetables (London Pride or similar) :lol:

Blimey... That all sounds a bit.. err... chemical. I usually settle for a pint of liquid vegetables (London Pride or similar) :lol:

The chemical stuff is if I've sweat so much I can literally wring it out of my shirt and have been that way for most of the day. Much as I'd prefer the liquid vegetables (love that term by the way!) without the rest I'd be in the mother of all foul moods in the morning!

I have always taken a flask of coffee, no matter what the time of year, but it always started to taste a bit funny, then I was pointed in the direction of sachets of cafe latte, or similar purchasable from any supermarket. Then carry a flask of boiling water, and heypresto, a freshish cup of coffee.

If out all day we will take a full packed lunch, particularly like baguettes with sausage or ham or cheese, crisps, and apples. Plus always lots of chocolate

On finishing the day, a trip to a local inn, or sometimes we have to go to Pizza Hut, as it is the only way to get Evil StepMother out caching.....