art work

M.TEX

Yeap sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

When building a new cartridge do you make you OWN art work or grab from the Net ?

M.TEX

Hi M.TEX,

I only have one cartridge published, and I created my own artwork for it. I took photo's at the locations that I was taking the player to, and used software to overlay graphics thatI had drawn (on paper then scanned) myself.

It was time consuming, but I'm proud of the result.

However - my initial plan was to take images from the net and request they be used. The images were from budding fantasy artists (there are lots) and I wrote to a few and got no response at all. That led me to think, why not do this myself?

I have the impression that many others simply take images from the net and do not concern themselves with requesting permission. I'm not sure how much a risk that is.

Good luck with your cartridge(s).

Paul.

Thanks

So far I just know that I want to create a cartridge but here in my Town it's hard to find a good spot

for a Wherigo cache. All the good spots are gone and Im stuck with my second Geocache just because of

what I just said ....

I have a very good Idea but I can't get all the details I want worked out...

Also my computer skills aren't that good . That LUA software it's kind of long...

I have looked the Tutorial but I guess it will take a lot of time to get all done.

I wish I can do this because It will be cool to have a Wherigo cache in this area...( i will be the first )

M.TEX

Remember, M.TEX, the virtual elements of a Wherigo cartridge do not have to follow the geocaching proximity guideline. The only time the guideline needs to be applied is for any stage where you hide a geocache (usually, that's only the final)--and, then, only if a cartridge cache is submitted to geocaching.com. Therefore, you can bring people to stages right on top of geocaches if you're not hiding anything.

As for places to put a Wherigo cache, I looked at your area on the map. You have a lot of mysteries and multis. From a power cacher perspective, it's not that populated. Downtown Worcester is nearby and its Elm Park doesn't look to have a cache in it (unless it's a stage of a multi or mystery). Usually, Wherigo cartridges thrive in places with stuff--signs, buildings, monuments--in the area. Are there any good spots around there? (Just giving suggestions--you know your area best, of course.)

As for creating a cartridge, do use this forum as a resource. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. I've also helped several people create parts of their cartridges (in return, I ask them to help others as they themselves gain experience). Others have brought up the idea of working on cartridges in teams: someone who has ideas but can't make the cartridge can partner with someone who can make cartridges, but can't come up with anything good. They'd make a cartridge for one person's area, then the other's.

By the way, do not look at the tutorial cartridge's code. That cartridge has a lot of custom code and isn't a good one for those beginning to create cartridges. By all means, please choose another open source cartridge. I'd recommending looking for a cartridge that approximates what you want to do.

I just started one myself, 1st timer.

Everyone tells me it is very hard to do and I see that really only the smartest brainiacs in the Caching community have done 1 or even 2. So, I was kinda wondering if I COULD just use Google image search to find the images I am after and use those?

Also, I haven't even looked at the Tutorials so reading what you just suggested NOT to do, I don't think I will.

I think I will just plod along on my own figuring it all out as I go along.

This is gunna take SOME time!! <_<

Actually, I do tend to use Google Image Search for finding some generic artwork for a few of my cartridges. For the rest of the images, especially of zones, I tend to go to the site and take pictures.

As a photographer, though, I don't like to see my images used anywhere else, so I can see both sides of the argument in that artists might not like to see their images used even for noncommercial use such as Wherigo. Will that stop me from using other drawings I find online in my Wherigo cartridges? No; the alternative being having people suffer through my scribbles.