Postcard COINTEST

Fiery Searcher

Mine went in the mail in the post office as close to the landmark (as I know of) on Monday. Sadly a smaller sized postcard so hopefully my writing is good enough quality to beat quantity. :)

(I also picked up some new postcards for postcrossing while in the office as they had slightly different selection than the one closer to home. We need more postcrossers from overseas! Australia and Africa are on my wish list to receive from!)

Hello, everyone!

I've received 34 postcards already, and just over 50 participants. Some of you are just incredibly creative, witty, and charming! A few of you, if you are not writing for a living, may have missed your calling.

Some postcards are arriving rapidly. Grodan Karin - your card arrived today, and the postmark from Sweden is 31 August! Wow. I would like to give everyone's postcard a chance to get here, but don't want to be waiting forever to announce a winner. This is probably more time than necessary, but I'll announce a winner on 30 September. If any postcards are out-standing at the point, well.... stuff happens.

IF all postcards that I'm expecting (I've been keeping a spreadsheet) come in before then, I'll announce the winner early.

Thank you again to everyone who participated. This month's trips to my mailbox have been so entertaining, and it's definitely because of the postcards, as I've only completed one trade.

In addition to announcing the winner, I'll take a picture of all postcards received, so you all can have a bit of the fun as well.

Stay tuned!

Also, is it okay if I steal this idea for a cointest later? I love getting postcards!

Oh yah, and is there a way to know whether our postcards have arrived? :D

Steal away! It is really a lot of fun to see what comes in the mailbox, and to get to know fellow coin collectors a bit better. Trades are great, but don't quite allow the same level of interaction as a postcard might require.

Santa Cruz is represented. B) If anyone else wants to ensure their postcard is here, please email me through my gc.com account and give me a hint as to where your postcard might be from. There are four that aren't signed, but I think I know who they belong to based on their postmark.

I gave my card to my son to post it, I just hope he did....

It is a really difficult task to write about my hometown on such a little space as a postcard!

I certainly won't try that again!

Next time, I'll write a blog entry with lots of pictures and on the card there will be an internet address, where you can access the text! B)

I think it is a great idea to make a card cointest!

And I also would love to see some pictures of the cards!

Keeping fingers crossed since I sent two postcards from the place I visited at the same time/same day and watched them postmark Aug 31 and one of those was received by my kids over the weekend....hoping that the other one has made it's way to you!

Edited by mekk

Thank you all for being so patient!

I haven't received many additional postcards in over a week now, so the reading and deciding begins! I will keep my promise to include a photo of all postcards that were submitted and considered for this cointest. In addition, I will provide overall numbers of how many postcards there were, representing xx number of countries, etc.

Just a few more days now!

I am proud to announce the winner of my cointest. Thank you to all participants for your creativity, your willingness to share a bit of yourselves, and for your patience while I waited until the end of the month to give all senders a fair chance for postcards to arrive.

For those of you who like statistics, here is a summary of everything I received:

Number of postcards received: 34

Number of countries represented: 7 (Canada = 3, Germany = 3, Japan = 1, The Netherlands = 2, Sweden = 1, United Kingdom = 1, and United States = 23)

Number of states represented from USA: 12 (Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington)

To give you some idea of the creativity, one of you began your postcard with "Dear Mom and Dad." This postcard happened to arrive on a day when I was out of town and my husband read it first. As we do not have human children, he was more than a little confused, especially when he double-checked the address and realized it was not mis-delivered!

Another of you wrote from the perspective of your pet, which definitely allowed me to experience a new place from a new point of view.

And one of you just had me in stitches, due largely to the name of the places you visited and the way you recounted them on paper! Reading that one out loud was so much fun.

So, on to the results...

Here is a picture of "the haul." I thought about finding a large map of the world and then tacking the cards on the map indicating their origin, but that image will have to remain an unrealized idea.

5039925214_624457bdb8_b.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the winner's card with the coin on it. See it?

No?

Here's a close-up:

5039304861_50b4182b1d.jpg

The winner is Jackalgirl! (yep, your postcard made it!)

The detail with which she described her summit of Mt. Fuji was incredible - it was as though I was there, too. How she writes so clearly at such a small size, I will never know. I need some lessons, for sure. She also included some photos to complement the writing, which I didn't think was possible on a postcard. I have new ideas for how to make my postcards to friends and family more personal and more vibrant, so thank you, Jackalgirl, for some new tricks!

I'll contact you for your mailing address and get your prize out ASAP,

For those of you who aren't familiar with the coin, it is the Black Widow version of the Tranquility coin.

Thank you, again, to all participants. It was a lot of fun for me, and I hope somewhat enjoyable for you all as well.

Best,

Penny and Kona

PS Edited to share Jackalgirl's words with all of you!

5039304359_06ebaa8f8e_b.jpg

Edited by Penny and Kona

Wow, that's my postcard! Woo-hoo! <dancity dancity dance> Thank you so much! I'm really, really excited! And, natch, you're totally welcome -- thank you for the cointest. Writing out the card reminded me of the days when I'd construct cards & letters for my (not yet, but eventually to be) husband while I was at sea. It was so much more satisfying than email. I wrote very small letters then, too. : )

Here's a link to my log, if anyone wants to take a gander. And if anyone wants to go for this cache before the end of 2012, let me know: geocachers from overseas get free room & board at Chez Jackal!

Thank you!

Edited to add: it's cool to see the postcard in its arrival state. I can see that the post office was really careful to try to get the sticker somewhere where there was no writing -- and I didn't make it easy for them! ; )

Edited by Jackalgirl

Congrats, Jackalgirl -- I enjoyed reading your postcard as posted here as well. I'm always afraid to write too much, as I fear the post office will obliterate it with stickers and barcodes. But you are brave, and they didn't cover a word, and you sqeezed so many words and even some pictures. I am impressed.

I am proud to announce the winner of my cointest. Thank you to all participants for your creativity, your willingness to share a bit of yourselves, and for your patience while I waited until the end of the month to give all senders a fair chance for postcards to arrive.

For those of you who like statistics, here is a summary of everything I received:

Number of countries represented: 7 (Canada = 3, Germany = 3, Japan = 1, The Netherlands = 2, Sweden = 1, United Kingdom = 1, and United States = 23)

Number of states represented from USA: 12 (Alaska, California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington)

To give you some idea of the creativity, one of you began your postcard with "Dear Mom and Dad." This postcard happened to arrive on a day when I was out of town and my husband read it first. As we do not have human children, he was more than a little confused, especially when he double-checked the address and realized it was not mis-delivered!

Another of you wrote from the perspective of your pet, which definitely allowed me to experience a new place from a new point of view.

And one of you just had me in stitches, due largely to the name of the places you visited and the way you recounted them on paper! Reading that one out loud was so much fun.

So, on to the results...

Here is a picture of "the haul." I thought about finding a large map of the world and then tacking the cards on the map indicating their origin, but that image will have to remain an unrealized idea.

Great cointest P & K and congrat's Jackagirl, that's one big haul of postcards :ph34r:

So, on to the results...

No?

Here's a close-up:

5039304861_50b4182b1d.jpg

The winner is Jackalgirl! (yep, your postcard made it!)

The detail with which she described her summit of Mt. Fuji was incredible - it was as though I was there, too. How she writes so clearly at such a small size, I will never know. I need some lessons, for sure. She also included some photos to complement the writing, which I didn't think was possible on a postcard. I have new ideas for how to make my postcards to friends and family more personal and more vibrant, so thank you, Jackalgirl, for some new tricks!

I'll contact you for your mailing address and get your prize out ASAP,

For those of you who aren't familiar with the coin, it is the Black Widow version of the Tranquility coin.

Thank you, again, to all participants. It was a lot of fun for me, and I hope somewhat enjoyable for you all as well.

Best,

Penny and Kona

PS Edited to share Jackalgirl's words with all of you!

Congrats Jackalgirl! Great Job!

I'm happy to report that the Black Widow Tranquility arrived safe & sound today and is, of course, gorgeous (especially under bright light).

But what was even better was the meta-packaging: inside the mailer, the coin was in an envelope attached to...a postcard! It's a gorgeous picture of the Great Smokey Mountains with full autumn livery and reminds me once again why Fall is my most favorite season ever.

Thank you Penny & Kona for the cointest, thank you for the prize, and thanks even more for the genius packaging -- you made my day! : )

congrats JG - excellent card! Hope your dear hubby didn't have heart failure after your "OMG!" and the dropping of the phone...lol!

Heh, he waited patiently for me to come back to the phone and tell him what was going on. And he completely understood why I dropped the phone. I am so happy I married him. : )

Thanks to P&K for such a creative and fun cointest!

+eleventyone!!11!!!